Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

anemone looks like its about to melt!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
1stupidpunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: anemone looks like its about to melt!
    Posted: January 31 2013 at 8:56pm
My BTA has been roaming the tank the last few days and today when i got home from work he was detached from the rocks and laying on its side on the bottom of the tank. Its not gooey and melted yet but it doesnt look very good.

Some basic tank info...
Tank has been established 2 years, lights are aquatic life 4 bulb T-5 (54w EA). Have had the BTA just over a year (the one i have is actually a clone i gave the original away). I just moved the tank in late november and since then the tank has had a small hair algae problem.

Salinity 34
Calc 380-400
KH 9
PH 8.0
Ammonia 0
Phosphate somewhere between .25 and .50 kinda hard to tell with the color chart
(im running phosban, and trying to get my refugium algae built back up)
Nitrite 0
Nitrate between 5 ppm and 10

posting pics in a few mins.. internet being tempermental

Edited by 1stupidpunk - January 31 2013 at 9:16pm
TriggerHappy View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TriggerHappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2013 at 10:30pm
My opinion would be to leave it be...your tank parameters look just fine. I've panicked over them too many times and they are just digesting something or going to through a phase. Just keep an eye on it.
210 gallon Mixed Reef
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2013 at 10:42pm
It's weird that it just released and didn't attach to anything again. I would watch it carefully if you see the middle of it looking like it's insides are coming out pull it out of your tank.
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
ClownFishAddict View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClownFishAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2013 at 10:47pm
Pick it up and shake it while yelling "Snap out of it, Man"....... Just kidding that really does suck I wish you good luck with him I love BTA's But seriously watch your powerheads while its not attached. Mine decided to make anemone soup one time and that was just a nano powerhead.
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2013 at 1:16am
mine will look like that every once in awhile.. don't worry, it should be fine.. like it was stated, if it starts gooin or having guts come out, get it out.
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2013 at 2:09am
Kiss him better, always works for me.
125g 90g 2x33g 34g
What stores do I recommend?
Up North: Bill ( Saltwater Paradise 801-317-8115 )
Down South: Jerry ( Reef On 801-563-0600 )

Member of GCFB
1stupidpunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2013 at 10:20am
Thanks everyone,
This morning the anemone is opened back up a bit and looks much better. Its still roaming the tank but i hope hes just looking for a spot with the amount of flow he wants.
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2013 at 10:24am
All jokes aside, every anemone I have ever owned has done this from time to time.

My random theory is that they go into this mode when they have trouble "pooping" the traditional way. Maybe anemone constipation? I dunno. I've always seen them recover from it.
125g 90g 2x33g 34g
What stores do I recommend?
Up North: Bill ( Saltwater Paradise 801-317-8115 )
Down South: Jerry ( Reef On 801-563-0600 )

Member of GCFB
builderofdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2013 at 10:24am
Originally posted by Pete Moss Pete Moss wrote:

Kiss him better, always works for me.
If that don't work Poke it with a Stick.
Keep an eye on it and make sure he does not get into your powerheads as it is raoming around.

Edited by builderofdreams - February 01 2013 at 10:28am
It's Not a Hobby It's an Obsession
150&210 Gallons of Madness and. Sanity! 801-850-4915

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65135&title=builderofdreams-feedback-post
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2013 at 10:46am
If it doesn't attach soon, I'd put it back in the holding container with several small pieces of Live Rock rubble and wait until it attaches to one of those.

Also, do you have clownfish? I've had a couple of nems that were hesitant to attach becasue the clowns wouldn't leave teehm alone long enough... the nem would puff up or shrink down and then start wandering the tank, and the stupid clowns would just follow along, trying to nuzzle up to the anemone...
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic