Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pete's 90 Gallon Zoanthid Paradise!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pete's 90 Gallon Zoanthid Paradise!
    Posted: February 05 2013 at 8:17pm
You all saw it coming, and so did I, but I didn't see it coming this quickly.

First and foremost I have to throw out some shoutouts to a few members of the forum who have REALLY helped me gather everything I need to get this tank running:

Ken -  one of my best buddies. Helps me all the time on crazy tank builds
TriggerHappy - honestly could not have done it without him, he has helped me gather everything I need equipment wise
Erikts - awesome deal on stand and canopy
Cole Wright - literally delivered a sump to my house and gave me an amazing price
Kahuna - his awesome deals on the skimmer, nanocube, and controller made this possible
Willrileyiv - helped me by selling an LED light system in my budget at the last minute
Everyone who purchased frags - I didn't make a lot of profit, but the profit I did make went into this project.
WMAS - the community that brought everyone here together!

The plan for this reef, is for it to be the largest ( and most beautiful ) zoanthid and palythoa garden in the state of Utah. I want people to be able to swing by any time to pick out zoanthids for their reefs from the largest selection around. I want to grow stunning colonies of zoanthids not only for the beauty, but for knowledge. I want to do research on zoanthid growth, behavior, colony interaction, and even colony competition.

Anyways lets get started!

First up, the equipment!

Tank/Stand:
I'm currently painting the stand, and will be adding trim and some moulding to improve the overall look. Also planning on a glossy finish.

Sump:
40g breeder converted into a sump. The sump will be located through a wall, in my fish room.

Skimmer:
ETSS Reef Devil. Both the return, and the skimmer will be powered by a mag 18. Tricky downdraft skimmers to tune, but once you dial them in they're INSANE.

Pump:
Mag 18. Planning to upgrade to a nice external pump once funds allow.

Filter:
RO/DI system will be plumbed directly into sump with a float valve. A second, higher float valve will be used for emergency shutoff.

Fragtank:
This system will have a 40g breeder set up as a frag tank that is plumbed into the entire system as well. The frag tank will be located above the sump in the fish room. It will have it's own LED lighting, and this is where a lot of the growout for the display will be.

Rockwork:
I am going to be putting a lot of thought into the rockwork of this reef. Zoanthids can't branch out and grow their own shapes, so the shape of my colonies will be defined by the rock itself. The real kick start to this was finding the rock Trigger had for sale ( go buy the rest of it up seriously ). He sold me some AMAZING large show pieces for $1.50 a pound. I ended up buying about 80-100 pounds of rock from trigger.

Also going to use some BRS dry rock for the sandbed colonies of zoanthids.

I'll keep everyone updated on the progress in the fish room, and the build in general. Once again thanks to everyone for your help and support! Financially I'm not in the best state right now, but I was able to piece this entire setup together without spending thousands. I have had people contacting me with colonies of zoanthids they are selling, or even donating to this tank. I can't thank you all enough!! Heart

Edited by Pete Moss - February 05 2013 at 8:22pm
125g 90g 2x33g 34g
What stores do I recommend?
Up North: Bill ( Saltwater Paradise 801-317-8115 )
Down South: Jerry ( Reef On 801-563-0600 )

Member of GCFB
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2013 at 8:23pm
So the very first thing I did was get the live rock outside to freeze off all the life. I will be converting it back to dead rock before starting up my system.

This is about 2/3rds of the rock. The remaining third was inside so I could harvest off some paly colonies to give away to the community.

One of these rocks in particular is MASSIVE.
125g 90g 2x33g 34g

Member of GCFB
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2013 at 12:31am
Wow I am excited to see the progression of your tank.  I have thought of doing a bare bottom with just GSP and Zoanthids, but that would take a while and probably drive me nuts to wait on.  
Defending Reefscape Champion (I Think)
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2013 at 1:07am
I'm you took the gsp route, it'd probably only take 3 months to have a carpet on the bottom :P
125g 90g 2x33g 34g

Member of GCFB
BillyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2013 at 1:46am
Originally posted by Tanuki Tanuki wrote:

Wow I am excited to see the progression of your tank.  I have thought of doing a bare bottom with just GSP and Zoanthids, but that would take a while and probably drive me nuts to wait on.  

Screw GSP! With a GSP floor, you'll be scraping it off your glass for the rest of your tank's life. Do a shroom floor!
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2013 at 1:48am
haha I could handle the shag rug! 
Defending Reefscape Champion (I Think)
BillyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2013 at 1:48am
Pete moss, nice build you have going on there. Let me know how the mag18 works on your 90. I've been debating upgrading from my mag12 to an 18 in my 120.
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2013 at 2:23am
Will do Billy! I'm splitting the mag 18 between the return and the skimmer. ( Sending 900 to skimmer, 900 to display ) I'm looking forward to seeing how it holds up!
125g 90g 2x33g 34g

Member of GCFB
kody72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kody72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2013 at 2:39am
Billy I've seen tons of 120g with mag18 or 24 running no problem. I ran a mag18 on my 95g wave tank and loved it
KODY72 FISHROOM BUILD
281g DT
187g Rimless Frag
ATI PM lighting
SRO DSCR-300ext
TriggerHappy View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TriggerHappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2013 at 2:48am
Looking good there, bud! Cannot wait to see the finished project!
210 gallon Mixed Reef
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2013 at 2:53am
Can't wait to see how this thing progresses and to see if my peaches show up in the Zoa zoo! Watching in impatient anticipation!  Nice work! KrazieClown
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
lskurys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lskurys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2013 at 2:57am
If you need a hand at all just let me know I live close ;-)
220g , large elite aquatics sump. 3 Radion Pro Gen 3 lights 3 Mp 40's
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2013 at 7:10am
Thanks for all the offers to help! I've got a few people who are gonna be helping me with the fish room, so I think I'm good, but I'll let you know. I've set up quite a few tanks in my day. The biggest challenge is going to be working with the limited space in my fish room. ( it's small lol )
125g 90g 2x33g 34g

Member of GCFB
jwoo View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2013 at 7:26am
I run a mag 18 on my 120 with no issue - other then the microbubbles from my other thread, but that's not the pumps fault. I do have to turn it down a little as fully open my drains can't handle it.
None at the moment
Soon: 72 Gallon Bowfront
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2013 at 8:02am
Ah! I forgot to post pictures of the solution I made for the micro bubbles. I took the pics and everything. Dangit lol.
125g 90g 2x33g 34g

Member of GCFB
Holyzion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holyzion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2013 at 1:53pm
Looking good John!
74G Mixed Reef
3G Picotope
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2013 at 3:57am
Progress has been haulted for the sale, but this setup has become even more ambitious in planning!

The 90g display will be linked to two 33g long coral growth tanks. Then there will be a separate 55g quarantine. All of these tanks will be built into a wall ( with opening cupboards for full access ) The plumbing for all of these tanks will be handled in a room behind the wall. The RO/DI system will be set up in there, along with the sump, and the RO holding tank ( 34g )

I don't have pictures for now sorry :( gonna have to use your imagination for a bit.
125g 90g 2x33g 34g

Member of GCFB
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2013 at 10:16am
Well, work has started on my main system. You'll have to excuse the 3 different paint jobs and the lack of trimwork. Right now it's just the stand wrapped in paneling. In the end the entire woodwork is going to be black. The system on the left is the 90g and 40g sump, the system on the right will be the two 33g frag tanks and the 55g quarantine. Excuse the terrible picture! At least there is progress!

125g 90g 2x33g 34g

Member of GCFB
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2013 at 10:28am
I would switch the two setups. The frag tank will be the one that you get into the most doing grow outs and frags and sales. The display would just be in the way with your couch where it has been. lol
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2013 at 10:31am
Originally posted by Krazie4Acans Krazie4Acans wrote:

I would switch the two setups. The frag tank will be the one that you get into the most doing grow outs and frags and sales. The display would just be in the way with your couch where it has been. lol

That couch isn't going back in. I'm getting a corner couch that won't come as close to the frag tank :)
125g 90g 2x33g 34g

Member of GCFB
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic