Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Crazy Weird Anemone ( ID PLEASE )

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crazy Weird Anemone ( ID PLEASE )
    Posted: February 12 2013 at 3:10am
< picture coming soon >

So two weeks ago I found a weird hitchhiker on one of my rocks. It looked like a white fuzzy anemone. It only had about 6 tentacles. They look fuzzy and white. The anemone will rotate through it's tentacles and push the tentacles one at a time into his mouth ( eating food he catches with the fuzzy arms )

My first guess at what it is actually puts it right away from being an anemone. It looks like a baby sea apple. The tentacles look extremely similar to that of a sea apple, but there are no signs of the "bulb" yet. It's actually really really amazing to watch! Reef tanks never cease to amaze me.

Thoughts? Ideas? Should I pull it out? Or watch it grow? It's already doubled since I first found it.

For those of you who are interested THIS is what a sea apple looks like.

Edited by Pete Moss - February 12 2013 at 3:17am
125g 90g 2x33g 34g
What stores do I recommend?
Up North: Bill ( Saltwater Paradise 801-317-8115 )
Down South: Jerry ( Reef On 801-563-0600 )

Member of GCFB
chris.rogers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2013 at 4:06am
I hesitate to say this because you clearly know your stuff, but you don't think it's aiptasia, do you?  I've seen mostly brown aiptasia but I've also seen white, almost silky or spiderweb looking aiptasia.

No clue, man.
Ils sont fous, ces Romains!
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2013 at 4:12am
Don't ever hesitate to say anything, everyone's opinions and ideas are important! For all I know it could be some crazy fuzzy white member of the Aptasia family.

First thing I'm doing once I'm getting home is posting pictures, this thing is so cool haha.

Edited by Pete Moss - February 12 2013 at 4:15am
125g 90g 2x33g 34g

Member of GCFB

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2013 at 4:46am
Post removed so as to not detract from thread topic.

Edited by chris.rogers - February 12 2013 at 9:53am
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2013 at 4:49am
Nincompoop schnincompoop. Not everyone can be expected to know everything.

The reefing hobby in particular is no place for know-it-alls. I'm always learning new things about my reef ecosystem!

Edited by Pete Moss - February 12 2013 at 4:50am
125g 90g 2x33g 34g

Member of GCFB
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2013 at 4:50am
A lot of the rock coming into this area has sea cucumbers as hitchhikers. I have a few species noted...just gotta find my notes! If the arms are white & fuzzy...sounds like a cuke.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2013 at 6:34am

Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2013 at 6:51am
Originally posted by chris.rogers chris.rogers wrote:

One of the reasons I never post when I have problems is because in the past I've gotten lectures about what to do, when to do it, and given the "If you don't do what I say I won't help you and by the way everyone you know will die terrible deaths as a result of your reckless behavior."

I got really turned off to one LFS in particular for that kind of thinking.  It's not necessary to name names or anything, I'm sure the guy meant well, but it demonstrated an attitude that I see come up too often: If you're not doing it my way then you're bound to fail.

I am a thin skinned over sensitive twit, so my opinion is worth what you paid for it...

I'm against that mode of thinking, and the minute I see something like that happening in a store, I personally decide to leave. Everyone needs to understand that not everyone is an advanced Aquarist.

That being said, if you ever have any questions, concerns, or even just want to talk about reefing in general, you can always give me a call. If I ever make you feel dumb ( which I won't ) you can hit me in the face with a shovel. Everyone starts somewhere, and I personally enjoy teaching others what I've learned over the years.

@Nikki: I think between us we're getting really close haha, you should come over and see this thing sometime, it really is awesome. It doesn't move though, it's been in the same spot since I got it. ( which is why I decided on a sea apple ) seems we agree on it being in the holothuroidea class. Reef tanks are so badass!

125g 90g 2x33g 34g

Member of GCFB
chuckfu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckfu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2013 at 8:05am
Originally posted by Pete Moss Pete Moss wrote:

One of the reasons I never post when I have problems is because in the past I've gotten lectures about what to do, when to do it, and given the "If you don't do what I say I won't help you and by the way everyone you know will die terrible deaths as a result of your reckless behavior."

I got really turned off to one LFS in particular for that kind of thinking.  It's not necessary to name names or anything, I'm sure the guy meant well, but it demonstrated an attitude that I see come up too often: If you're not doing it my way then you're bound to fail.

I am a thin skinned over sensitive twit, so my opinion is worth what you paid for it...

I'm against that mode of thinking, and the minute I see something like that happening in a store, I personally decide to leave. Everyone needs to understand that not everyone is an advanced Aquarist.

That being said, if you ever have any questions, concerns, or even just want to talk about reefing in general, you can always give me a call. If I ever make you feel dumb ( which I won't ) you can hit me in the face with a shovel. Everyone starts somewhere, and I personally enjoy teaching others what I've learned over the years.

@Nikki: I think between us we're getting really close haha, you should come over and see this thing sometime, it really is awesome. It doesn't move though, it's been in the same spot since I got it. ( which is why I decided on a sea apple ) seems we agree on it being in the holothuroidea class. Reef tanks are so badass!

Awkward! Lol
Try, try, try, then give up!
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2013 at 8:06am
Originally posted by chuckfu chuckfu wrote:

Awkward! Lol

Only if you make it that way! Wink
125g 90g 2x33g 34g

Member of GCFB
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2013 at 9:00am

One of the reasons I never post when I have problems is because in the past I've gotten lectures about what to do, when to do it, and given the "If you don't do what I say I won't help you and by the way everyone you know will die terrible deaths as a result of your reckless behavior.

First off, I know it sucks receiving this sort of treatment...

On the other hand...

I understand how seasoned aquarists can get frustrated. We get asked for advice all the time...visit people's houses...donate equipment...you name it. Then, that same person doesn't follow our advice...they follow someone's advice that spent 2 minutes with them. Stuff dies...and we feel like we wasted our time. I'm not saying it's right for someone to say, "if you don't do what I say I won't help you...", but they do have a point. It's their time too.   
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2013 at 9:27am
So... hitchhiking sea apples.... how bout em?

LOL
125g 90g 2x33g 34g

Member of GCFB

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2013 at 9:39am

Edited by chris.rogers - February 12 2013 at 9:54am
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2013 at 9:43am
John, the ones I've seen coming in as hitchhikers usually reproduce quite well, but they stay small. A lot of them are yellow or purple with the white tentacles. I'm interested to see yours when it comes out!
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2013 at 9:45am

ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2013 at 9:49am
@Chris - this is completely unrelated to sea cucumber identification...not sure why it's coming up in this thread. Please keep the topic on track or the comments will be moved.
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2013 at 9:53am
All apologies.
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2013 at 10:00am
Thanks for keeping the thread on track. :)

If there's something that needs to be discussed/improved, please feel free in a new thread (as long as the discussion remains civil, of course!)
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic