Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Clownfish and rbta

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Dan9554880 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan9554880 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clownfish and rbta
    Posted: February 17 2013 at 8:36pm
I want to know how can I get my pair of ocellaris clownfish that i have for almost a year and the anemone since november. I think the they are tank bred. the anemone is from medium to small rbta and wanted to know how can I get them to host. I have try putting them in a container but the anemone just shrinks and the clowns just swim around it. And its hard to get them close to it because the anemone is in a long rock and they swim in the other side of it. I heard the picture method but I can't believe that it would work.

What can I do to encourage them to host?
210 Mixed Reef
20 Nuvo nano reef
Learn your tank, not the hobby
evan127 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evan127 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2013 at 8:49pm
I'm going through the same thing right now. I've had pictures of clownfish in anemones taped on my glass for a month. I've been showing YouTube videos on my phone of clownfish swimming in anemones to my clown daily. Feeding a lot of garlic soaked mysis. Nothing so far. The instinct is there as mine has fed the anemone twice. Hopefully just a matter of time.

Oh, and the picture thing worked for me about 4 years ago.

Edited by evan127 - February 17 2013 at 8:50pm
Dan9554880 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan9554880 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2013 at 10:07pm
^
210 Mixed Reef
20 Nuvo nano reef
Learn your tank, not the hobby
SNOWRIDER View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNOWRIDER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2013 at 4:01pm
When i bought my pair of platniums about six months ago they wouldnt host, i tried all the stuff listed above but nothing, Until there was someone on here that was parting out there tank and i bought a bunch of coral and ended up buying a snowflake clown with the coral. The snowflake already was hosting so when i put him in my tank he went straight for the anenome, when he did this my platniums where trying to protect there territory and kicked him out and now they host the anenome and my frogspawn. And they have become friends with the snowflake. I dont know if this is something that can be done with other clowns, or if its even a wise thing todo. When i did it i didnt know that clowns dont like to have other clowns in the tank when there is already a pair in there. Hope this some what helps, just my experiance.
75g Just starting out, Stand and canopy From Richins carpentry.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic