Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

stunner for refugium?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
1stupidpunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: stunner for refugium?
    Posted: February 18 2013 at 10:42am
So my coralife refugium light keeps burning out the bulbs after only a few weeks. I need to pull it apart and have someone who knows more about electrical work take a look at it. In the mean time i have a couple 12" stunners (blue/white) laying around, would 2 of them be enough light to keep my macro going? I just added a bunch of chaeto and grape calurpa.
ch3tt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ch3tt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2013 at 10:44am
I use 1 12" white stunner over my dads 65 gallon sump and it grows macro great! I'm not sure how the blue/whites would do. I would think it would be okay.
Red Sea Reefer 625 XXL
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2013 at 1:15am
I always used a home depot special. A clamp on spot lamp with a 5100k CF lamp. No heat it grows macro like crazy . Just a simple solution . If you want me to look at your light I will I'm a journeyman electrician but I always try to get people to do the cheapest simplest stuff first.
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2013 at 1:28am
Originally posted by Akira Akira wrote:

I always used a home depot special. A clamp on spot lamp with a 5100k CF lamp. No heat it grows macro like crazy . Just a simple solution . If you want me to look at your light I will I'm a journeyman electrician but I always try to get people to do the cheapest simplest stuff first.

+1 algae loves piss colored light
125g 90g 2x33g 34g
What stores do I recommend?
Up North: Bill ( Saltwater Paradise 801-317-8115 )
Down South: Jerry ( Reef On 801-563-0600 )

Member of GCFB
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2013 at 1:33am
Pete are you being sarcastic ? Or is cheap spot on ?
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2013 at 1:40am

Pete are you being sarcastic ? Or is cheap spot on ?

Cheap is spot on. I run normal 5000k cfl bulbs in home depot clamp lamps over all my refugiums. The more yellow the better!

Try putting a clamp lamp over your main tank. You'll be cursing every day because of the algae buildup :P

Edited by Pete Moss - February 19 2013 at 1:43am
125g 90g 2x33g 34g

Member of GCFB
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2013 at 1:45am
OK but Im cheap on a few things so I was just checking your sarcasm out . OH and a side note start a thread who am I . Who the heck are you ? been here for a few and you seem to do a lot of good stuff and I have never met you. 
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2013 at 8:04am

OK but Im cheap on a few things so I was just checking your sarcasm out . OH and a side note start a thread who am I . Who the heck are you ? been here for a few and you seem to do a lot of good stuff and I have never met you. 

I'm cheap as well! I'm all about affordable reefing.

I've technically been on the forums longer than you :P Maybe you should do a who am I?

If you really are interested, I was highlighted as MOTM. I answered quite a few questions in the official thread, go check em out!

Edited by Pete Moss - February 19 2013 at 8:12am
125g 90g 2x33g 34g

Member of GCFB
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2013 at 10:04am
I agree with PeteMoss

I use a clip on CFL lamp with a daylight (7K, I think) 14watt bulb

Works just fine for a fuge light, and it cost me a total of 10 bucks... plus, the bulb is supposed to last 6 - 8 years...

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic