Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

10g AIO

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Shad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 10g AIO
    Posted: February 18 2013 at 8:03pm
I have a couple spare 10g tanks laying around the house. I decided that I wanted to convert one to an all in one, to replace my current 10g nano. I'd like to eventually get two AIOs done, one for a seahorse tank or nano, and one for a quarantine for my 72 gallon. The all in one solves the problem of the film building up on top, provides a place for a fuge, and some carbon and keep it all hidden. I'm going to get a new light setup, preferably leds.

I'm thinking something like this without the stand:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2136622&highlight=10g+aio

So step one, I stopped by Lowe's today and picked up a sheet of acrylic and some aquarium safe silicone. I should be able to get enough for two 10g AIO's out of it.

My question is this: The acrylic sheet is clear. What's the best way to make it black? If I spray paint it will it be ok?
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2013 at 8:50pm
Krylon Fusion for Plastic paint has been used by various reefers many times without any problems. Let the paint dry and cure, then you should be good to go. I recommend sanding the acrylic before painting so the paint has a stronger grip.

Everything you need to know about this product can be found HERE ( it comes in black )

You can usually buy this stuff at walmart.

Edited by Pete Moss - February 18 2013 at 8:50pm
125g 90g 2x33g 34g
What stores do I recommend?
Up North: Bill ( Saltwater Paradise 801-317-8115 )
Down South: Jerry ( Reef On 801-563-0600 )

Member of GCFB
chris.rogers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2013 at 10:32pm
Ditto Krylon.  I've used it to paint PVC in my tank and it didn't give me any problems.
Ils sont fous, ces Romains!
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2013 at 11:59pm
Are you guys painting parts and putting them in your tanks?  SERIOUSLY ? It may work short term but I WOULD NEVER put my stuff at risk like that . Just my o2 as there is no reward to the risk.....
Shad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2013 at 10:16am
Well, I've bought most of the things I need now.. Got a light for the fuge:

http://shop.mediabaskets.com/Underwater-10W-Single-Light-WTL10.htm

And I just ordered a par38 LED light that has a dimmer built in with a remote:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-12W-Watt-PAR38-Led-Aquarium-Dimmable-Reef-Coral-White-Blue-Grow-Light-/330869453636

I just need to get a clamp on fixture and I'm ready to go.. Barring any issues, I'll work on creating the baffles tomorrow...
ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2013 at 5:57pm
That is a pretty rad looking bulb.

Shad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2013 at 11:55am
Yeah, I thought it looked pretty cool... If I like it, I'll probably buy a couple more.
chris.rogers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2013 at 4:08pm
@Akira

Krylon Fusion bonds with the plastic.  It's inert and doesn't leach.  It's no worse than the purple dye in PVC primer that runs throughout your PVC pipes.  I had a 29 gallon for 8 months which contained several LPS, softies, an anemone, a star fish, fish, and the regular complement of a cleanup crew and didn't have a single problem.

Not that my one anecdote should convince you, but it's food for thought.
Ils sont fous, ces Romains!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic