Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help Identying

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2013 at 7:21pm
There are NO in-tank treatments. You may be able to control them with certain wrasses, but it's only a control. CoralRx does not work (I have tons of photos showing them alive and thriving after several hours). Dipping outside the tank with potassium permanganate is the only 100% solution other than ridding the tank of Montipora corals.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2013 at 7:28pm
Bayer's doesn't work on the montipora eating nudis either Cry

Edited by Pete Moss - February 19 2013 at 7:28pm
125g 90g 2x33g 34g
What stores do I recommend?
Up North: Bill ( Saltwater Paradise 801-317-8115 )
Down South: Jerry ( Reef On 801-563-0600 )

Member of GCFB
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2013 at 7:36pm
Nope...in fact, for whatever reason, Coral Rx worked better than Bayer did. Hydrogen peroxide worked ok, but at the strengths/duration required, it killed the Montiporas when I tried it.
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2013 at 9:14pm
Nikki is there anything that I can use to dip that will not kill my softies and LPS? I think I am going to remove all the monti from my tank and dip it all in Potassium Permanganate to try and save it while I deal with trying to get the adults and eggs out of my tank.

Know anyone that has a wrasse they would like to donate to the cause? I am partial to yellow corris and 6 or 8 lines.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2013 at 10:22pm
I have had good luck with the yellow coris wrasse eating these nudibranchs. You can easily remove the adults by siphoning them out with an airline tubing connected to 3/16" rigid tubing.
Shaun
American Fork
"Would you leave a dead cat in your kitchen till tommorow?" Builderofdreams
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2013 at 5:58am
One thing I forgot to mention is that Monti-eating nudi's almost always lay their eggs right on the line of where fresh Montipora tissue is...typically in a small crevice. (That's why I was doubting if what you saw on the glass was a Monti-eating nudi...it's weird to see them off a colony.) You can probably just treat the Montipora corals in the tank and not worry about the live rock or other corals (unless that really was one on the glass...then they're on the hunt for new colonies.)
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2013 at 7:27am
Originally posted by sabeypets sabeypets wrote:

I have had good luck with the yellow coris wrasse eating these nudibranchs. You can easily remove the adults by siphoning them out with an airline tubing connected to 3/16" rigid tubing.

Started removing them last night with tweezers. I like the sucking them up idea too. I'll try that tonight. Thanks!
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2013 at 7:30am
Originally posted by ReefdUp ReefdUp wrote:

One thing I forgot to mention is that Monti-eating nudi's almost always lay their eggs right on the line of where fresh Montipora tissue is...typically in a small crevice. (That's why I was doubting if what you saw on the glass was a Monti-eating nudi...it's weird to see them off a colony.) You can probably just treat the Montipora corals in the tank and not worry about the live rock or other corals (unless that really was one on the glass...then they're on the hunt for new colonies.)

Unfortunately, That really was on the glass. I removed 10 of them last night and this morning when I got up there were 5 more on the glass but I only found 1 on the Monti. Pulled them all and will check for more later. I am trying to line up a yellow coris (the one posted in the classifieds) if I can't get that one I'll start digging for something else to try and combat them that way. I noticed a couple of damaged spots on my Green polyp Monti digitata this morning so I know they are moving and I'm going to pull it and dip it tonight.Angry
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2013 at 11:18am
Sorry...that really sucks. I used a pipette to suck them off a monti...worked ok.
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2013 at 11:25am
Originally posted by ReefdUp ReefdUp wrote:

Sorry...that really sucks. I used a pipette to suck them off a monti...worked ok.

Ya it sucks. Lost about 90% of that Monti in the picture so far. Not sure if I can save the rest at this point. May have to just clean it all out and beg a frag off of the person I got the original from. Oh and wait another year for it to grow back. Ouch

now to make sure I stop them from killing the rest of the Monti's! Thanks for you help Nikki
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2013 at 12:27pm
Sorry I couldn't do more. Out of all the pests, those are the worst IMO. I would be wary about getting another frag from the original person as you may just end up with them again.
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2013 at 12:31pm
I will be very weary of any new monti I put in but they will all get a Potassium Permanganate dip before going in just to make sure I don't add anything new and if I end up having the same problem then I know I need to do something drastic to the whole system. I hate pests but if they are ones I can either control or get rid of then I can deal.
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2013 at 3:55pm
Update: 4 wrasses later (two that my dottyback killed!) and I no longer see any nudi's or egg sacks on any of my monti's. they are getting tissue back and looking much better. I did end up losing the monti in the picture but I can get more. I'm thinking i will put an orange Digi in that spot anyway. My superman monti is recovering and so it my Honey Digi so i think the wrasses are a permanent fixture in my tank! Smile

The Melanarus will outgrow my tank but for now I love him and his work. LOL Thanks again everyone.

Krazie:clown:
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2013 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by Krazie4Acans Krazie4Acans wrote:

Update: 4 wrasses later (two that my dottyback killed!) and I no longer see any nudi's or egg sacks on any of my monti's. they are getting tissue back and looking much better. I did end up losing the monti in the picture but I can get more. I'm thinking i will put an orange Digi in that spot anyway. My superman monti is recovering and so it my Honey Digi so i think the wrasses are a permanent fixture in my tank! Smile

The Melanarus will outgrow my tank but for now I love him and his work. LOL Thanks again everyone.

Krazie:clown:

Clap
125g 90g 2x33g 34g
What stores do I recommend?
Up North: Bill ( Saltwater Paradise 801-317-8115 )
Down South: Jerry ( Reef On 801-563-0600 )

Member of GCFB
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic