Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help Identying

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help Identying
    Posted: February 19 2013 at 5:50pm
Can someone please help identify this animal roaming around my tank please? Sorry about the size of the pic.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2013 at 5:56pm
It's a nudibranch! A cool one at that. Hard to tell the exact species. They can eat a variety of things in your reef aquarium, so when in doubt pull it out. Can you get a better picture of the coloration?
125g 90g 2x33g 34g
What stores do I recommend?
Up North: Bill ( Saltwater Paradise 801-317-8115 )
Down South: Jerry ( Reef On 801-563-0600 )

Member of GCFB
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2013 at 6:00pm
There is no color. They are white and I found 3 of them today. Do they eat softies or other stuff?
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2013 at 6:05pm
They potentially can eat soft corals. Zoanthids etc. Some eat aptasias. They honestly have a very wide varied diet. Have you seen any on or near certain corals?
125g 90g 2x33g 34g

Member of GCFB
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2013 at 6:05pm
They are only about 1/16- 1/8th on an inch long but I found one on the base of one of my SPS that is STNing and just wondering if that is the cause?
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2013 at 6:05pm
More than likely man :S
125g 90g 2x33g 34g

Member of GCFB
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2013 at 6:08pm
I know the previous owner added a couple of nudies in at one point to try and get rid of some sponge growth but they were much bigger than these ones.
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2013 at 6:10pm
How to rid them from my tank without killing everything in the tank?
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2013 at 6:10pm
Without a nice macro shot, it'll be really hard to tell if it's reef safe or not.

To get rid of them, you can try a wrasse ( but that has low to moderate success rates as they are picky when it comes to nudis )

Manual removal is one of the best things you can do honestly. They have a short lifespan. By removing what you can you'll manage to control the population. They are almost always nocturnal. They only hunt in the day when they are hungry. So if you're seeing them in the day, that's a good sign that their food source is getting low. Grab a pair of tweezers and a flashlight, and go to town this evening plucking them out. You can also do a dip if certain rocks are small enough. You know where to get some free coral dip if you need it Smile

Edited by Pete Moss - February 19 2013 at 6:12pm
125g 90g 2x33g 34g

Member of GCFB
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2013 at 6:19pm
Was it on a Montipora coral? If so, then it's a Montipora-eating nudibranch. Definitely not reef safe.

Each egg mass from a M.E.N. contains 10-30 eggs, and they can lay an average of 1.5 egg masses per day. They also live about 140 days, and they can survive almost that entire time without a food source. In fact, some studies have shown that the eggs may not hatch for an extended period of time until a food source is provided.

Bayer, CoralRx, Lugol's, Interceptor, and even hydrogen peroxide don't kill these !#^&*#$%!#%$^@!#$%^$#@%. Potassium permanganate does, but it's a nasty, nasty treatment. If you only have one tiny frag, you can do manual removal with a pipette, but it's a pain, and you'll have to keep at it every day for months.

So, yeah, that is why I QT....

Edited by ReefdUp - February 19 2013 at 6:23pm
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2013 at 6:20pm
The only time Ive seen them is during the day and mostly on the glass. Never seen them at night on the glass or anything else. My dotty back is very uninterested in them but I don't have a wrasse at the moment. I want a 6 line.
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2013 at 6:23pm
I'd get rid of them if it were me :P I'm not a big risk taker when it comes to reef tanks.
125g 90g 2x33g 34g

Member of GCFB
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2013 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by ReefdUp ReefdUp wrote:

Was it on a Montipora coral? If so, then it's a Montipora-eating nudibranch. Definitely not reef safe.

It was on the bottom of the coral in this picture. The dark brown one with the green at the tips. I've never gotten an ID on the coral so Not too sure how to answer the question. lol
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2013 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by Krazie4Acans Krazie4Acans wrote:

They are only about 1/16- 1/8th on an inch long but I found one on the base of one of my SPS that is STNing and just wondering if that is the cause?

You said you only found them on the glass?

See if this is them:

Nudi's
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2013 at 6:26pm
Phew...can't keep up with the posts.

Yes, that's a Montipora Digitata, and what you found on it was likely a Monti-eating nudi. What was on the glass may be something else...but maybe not.
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2013 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by Krazie4Acans Krazie4Acans wrote:

You DO have a lot of green bays haha!
125g 90g 2x33g 34g

Member of GCFB
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2013 at 6:35pm
HERE is a good read on a chemical that seems to be effective against them.
125g 90g 2x33g 34g

Member of GCFB
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2013 at 6:36pm

You said you only found them on the glass?

See if this is them:

Nudi's

I have seen one on the rock at the base of the coral I posted above. The others have always been on the glass. I have a plating monti in the tank and it is doing great with no signs of damage. They do look very much like the ones in your link.

I will pull them out as I see them but Chemical treatments are not really an option as the rock the Monti's are on is the main rock in the display and removing it to dip is next to impossible. That site states that a couple of months without any Monti's will kill off the adults and any eggs that may have been laid. So Since there are only a couple of them and I can get new frags of both I will watch and see what happens. I'm not sure if the STN was caused by the nudibrachs or the ammonia spike that took out a few other corals. things are recovering now but not this one coral.
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2013 at 6:55pm
I wrote that article...actually quite some time ago (the date is just the date it was added to the website, not the publication date.) There's been some info in the last year or so showing that more time than 2 months is needed to eradicate a tank of them. Like I said before, the eggs seem to require a food source to hatch.

If they are what I think they are, there won't be "only a couple" for long (read above for their reproduction rate....1.5 egg masses per day containing 10-30 eggs...that adds up FAST when they can live up to 140 days).

Your call...you can see them in person. But these are some seriously nasty buggers. As I've said before, potassium permanganate is about your only option.

Edited by ReefdUp - February 19 2013 at 6:56pm
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2013 at 7:03pm

I wrote that article...actually quite some time ago (the date is just the date it was added to the website, not the publication date.) There's been some info in the last year or so showing that more time than 2 months is needed to eradicate a tank of them. Like I said before, the eggs seem to require a food source to hatch.

If they are what I think they are, there won't be "only a couple" for long (read above for their reproduction rate....1.5 egg masses per day containing 10-30 eggs...that adds up FAST when they can live up to 140 days).

Your call...you can see them in person. But these are some seriously nasty buggers. As I've said before, potassium permanganate is about your only option.

But using the potassium permanganate is a dip operation and can't be treated with snails of other inverts. What is it's effect on Zoanthids and mushrooms? I'm not sure I could ever get rid of them in my tank without killing half of the life in it. Would coral RX dip work as well? It sounds like I'm going ot have to treat the entire tank a piece at a time and see what loses occur. 
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic