Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wanted: Fish List Opinions (Updated 2/23)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
ClownFishAddict View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClownFishAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wanted: Fish List Opinions (Updated 2/23)
    Posted: February 22 2013 at 9:43pm
So this is what I am thinking for a fish list.... Now its time for your criticism... I mean it I want to know what you all think of this. Tank is going to be a 120

Fish List

Blue Hippo x 1
Yellow Tang x 1
Sailfin Tang x 1
Red Tail Scooter Blenny's x 2
Designer Snowflake Clowns x 2 (lg)
foxface x 1
Banggai cardinal x 2
Dispar Anthias x 5-7

Edited by ClownFishAddict - February 23 2013 at 1:03pm
DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2013 at 9:58pm
You should be okay with the Blue Hippo and Yellow Tang. However, I would advise against the others. Especially the Achilles. Yes, someone will pipe up about their 15 tangs in a 90G but that doesn't mean it's okay.
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2013 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by DLindquist DLindquist wrote:

You should be okay with the Blue Hippo and Yellow Tang. However, I would advise against the others. Especially the Achilles. Yes, someone will pipe up about their 15 tangs in a 90G but that doesn't mean it's okay.

+1

I also don't particularly like sixlines because they can get rather aggressive. I would go with a melanurus or coris.
love2skiutah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2013 at 10:09pm
I would NEVER put a six line wrasse in your tank.  They are the meanest thing ever.  As a matter a fact they came straight from the devil.  I know that because I have one.  It kills anything I put in the tank that is small.  I put in a 7 inch Wrasse and the tiny six line killed it in like an hour.  I actually did a post in another forum and asked everyone the 1 single fish they regretted putting in their tanks the most.  6 pages later, 70% of the poll was six line wrasse.  I honestly thought I was the only one who hated them until I saw the results of the poll. ha 
mermaidcamille View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mermaidcamille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2013 at 10:16pm
I wish someone would have told me that once your green chromises grow up they will kill each other off to just two.
135g...D.E.A.D

Welcome bright and shiny 120!
pgravis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgravis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2013 at 10:40pm
Bangaiis will form a pair and kill/terrorize the three remaining fish. If you get them small enough you will have some time before you have to pull them out though.   Agree on the six line. Hated mine!   It will be interesting to see about the 6 Benny's.   I really like the idea of lots of one type.    Hope it works for you
See my house: www.eclecticvictorian.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClownFishAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2013 at 10:57pm
Originally posted by pgravis pgravis wrote:

Bangaiis will form a pair and kill/terrorize the three remaining fish. If you get them small enough you will have some time before you have to pull them out though.   Agree on the six line. Hated mine!   It will be interesting to see about the 6 Benny's.   I really like the idea of lots of one type.    Hope it works for you

I had 12 of the blenny's in my 240 it was cool. they were awesome to each other. I expect some of the "Survival of the fittest" in there as long as its not a pitbull fight i think we will be good.My son and I actually thought of doing a ClownFish Tank but the wife and daughter said no so we decided not too.

As for the Six Line I have never had any issues with them. that's weird because I had one with my clown in a 6 gallon and they were fine too. in fact they were inseparable.
jwoo View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2013 at 11:08pm
I've never had an issue with a six line either actually. Ours is a model citizen and never picks on anything new. Of course that doesn't meant that they can't be bullies - I just haven't experienced it.

I would not get a clown tang if I were you. In my four years on this board I've yet to see one person keep one alive long term. They just aren't meant to be kept in a box imo.
None at the moment
Soon: 72 Gallon Bowfront
love2skiutah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2013 at 11:08pm
Originally posted by ClownFishAddict ClownFishAddict wrote:

Originally posted by pgravis pgravis wrote:

I had 12 of the blenny's in my 240 it was cool. they were awesome to each other. I expect some of the "Survival of the fittest" in there as long as its not a pitbull fight i think we will be good.My son and I actually thought of doing a ClownFish Tank but the wife and daughter said no so we decided not too.

As for the Six Line I have never had any issues with them. that's weird because I had one with my clown in a 6 gallon and they were fine too. in fact they were inseparable.

It's when you go to add something new is when they become a problem.  Other than that, they are very entertaining to watch. 
Dan9554880 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan9554880 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2013 at 11:20pm
I don't think that a clown and Achilles tang will be a good idea and you may be able to keep the naso if its little but they grow really big.   Also I will say 2 bangaiis because they will pair up and kill the others. Also if you are looking for a school of fish you can try firefish instead of chromis because they will kill each other.

I heard that its hard to keep scotter blenny so I will say to not get all of those and maybe one or two.
Also maybe switch the six line to a yellow coris wrasse.
210 Mixed Reef
20 Nuvo nano reef
Learn your tank, not the hobby
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2013 at 12:18am
I would go with the hippo and yellow tangs, skip the rest of the tangs, leaving room for a school of Anthia's.
Go with 5 banggai cardinals, if 2 pair off and start picking on the others just remove the picked on ones. I've seen large tanks with more than a pair living peacefully together.
The designer snowflake clowns need to be PhantomsBig smile!
6 scooter blennies should get along fine as long as they are added at the same time. Get 2 males and 4 or 5 females . The males really show their colors off.
Shaun
American Fork
"Would you leave a dead cat in your kitchen till tommorow?" Builderofdreams
wickedsnowman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2013 at 12:39am
I agree 6 lines are evil and hard as hell to catch. IMO achillies should never be kept. Their survival rate in captivety is really poor. Same could be said about the clown tang. However some people have success. Flame angels like all dwarf angels are hit or miss about eating coral, CUC, and clams but worth taking a shot cause they are beautiful. Banggais will kill the third wheel and are near existinct in the wild so if they are tank breed less sad to lose but I wouldnt buy more than 2 wild caught ones. I like the rest of the list though. I am not against alot of tangs in a larger tank like a 120. They grow slow and are easy to catch and easy to sell if needed.
wickedsnowman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2013 at 12:42am
Oh and I think black ice are the coolest designer clowns. Phantoms are cool as well though.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClownFishAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2013 at 1:35am
Originally posted by sabeypets sabeypets wrote:

<!-- bmi_SafeAddOnload(bmi_load,"bmi_orig_img",0);//-->

I would go with the hippo and yellow tangs, skip the rest of the tangs, leaving room for a school of Anthia's.
Go with 5 banggai cardinals, if 2 pair off and start picking on the others just remove the picked on ones. I've seen large tanks with more than a pair living peacefully together.

The designer snowflake clowns need to be PhantomsBig smile!

6 scooter blennies should get along fine as long as they are added at the same time. Get 2 males and 4 or 5 females . The males really show their colors off.

Depends on the price and size. I actually can get all the other designers for extremely cheap so that will affect my decision on what clowns to buy.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClownFishAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2013 at 1:41am
As for the bangiis I agree on tank bred/raised first. I do like the anthias though instead of them. The clown tang and achillies I agree on now too after reading up on them. Maybe a sailfin or something idk.
Dan9554880 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan9554880 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2013 at 8:10am
A salfin will Be good. Especially the desarjini. Also you if your looking for tangs you can look into the bristle tooth tangs
210 Mixed Reef
20 Nuvo nano reef
Learn your tank, not the hobby
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2013 at 9:46pm

I like it now. A Midas blenny should do well in the mix and make an interesting character.  

Shaun
American Fork
"Would you leave a dead cat in your kitchen till tommorow?" Builderofdreams
DMower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2013 at 9:57pm
You need a jawfish. Love the blue spot.The list looks pretty good now.
150 gal reef with 50 gal sump. Reef Octopus DCS-200 Skimmer. AI Sol Blues.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClownFishAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2013 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by DMower DMower wrote:

You need a jawfish. Love the blue spot.The list looks pretty good now.
arent they jumpers?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClownFishAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2013 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by sabeypets sabeypets wrote:

I like it now. A Midas blenny should do well in the mix and make an interesting character.  

I agree on the Midas. I LOVE them....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic