Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help with Lights

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
80cent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80cent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help with Lights
    Posted: February 25 2013 at 7:44am
I am new to the forum. I've been lurking for a while, but there are a few things I could really use some help with. I have never done a salt water tank before, but as I am finally finishing my basement, I'm going to have one really soon. The issue is that I currently have 46 gallon bowfront-- something I thought was huge-- and I'm not sure if I'm going to stick with that or get something in the 90-120 gallon range.

First, if I did stick with that 46 gallon tank, what would you recommend as far as lights go? I've been loving the floating canopies I've seen around, but I'm not clear on the pros/cons between T5s or LEDs. What about something like this: (http://www.amazon.com/Coralife-Aqualight-Aquarium-Lighting-Fixture/dp/B000F5M2JW/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=3K4SH4FN4DHT4&coliid=I1EIQ01PEHGBU)-- would that work?

Second question. If I did get a larger tank (90-120 gal,) what would you suggest at that point? Thanks!
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2013 at 8:35am
If you start with LEDs they will move over to the larger tank.  You'll just need to add additional units to get the coverage.  There are a lot of people changing over to LEDs and lots updating them to get the latest features.  This brings a lot of high-end LEDs to the forum classified at a reduced price.  They are popular enough to hold their value well so I don't expect to see the price be a "steal" at this point.

One issue with buying someone's used ones is matching them later when you set up the bigger tank. 

Fat
February 4: Winter Banquet at the Living Planet Aquarium
Tickets: http://utahreefs.com/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=36
ClownFishAddict View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ClownFishAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2013 at 9:24am
Originally posted by 80cent 80cent wrote:

I am new to the forum. I've been lurking for a while, but there are a few things I could really use some help with. I have never done a salt water tank before, but as I am finally finishing my basement, I'm going to have one really soon. The issue is that I currently have 46 gallon bowfront-- something I thought was huge-- and I'm not sure if I'm going to stick with that or get something in the 90-120 gallon range.

First, if I did stick with that 46 gallon tank, what would you recommend as far as lights go? I've been loving the floating canopies I've seen around, but I'm not clear on the pros/cons between T5s or LEDs. What about something like this: (http://www.amazon.com/Coralife-Aqualight-Aquarium-Lighting-Fixture/dp/B000F5M2JW/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=3K4SH4FN4DHT4&coliid=I1EIQ01PEHGBU)-- would that work?

Second question. If I did get a larger tank (90-120 gal,) what would you suggest at that point? Thanks!

A 46 bow front will need more light (depending on what you have in there) to grow any corals than the Coralife Aqualight fixture you were looking at. if you keep a watchful eye here on the board you can find lights that will work for you used and cheaper than buying new. as for LED's I recommend them as they last for a long time and have proven to be a great lighting solution to the reef tank hobby.
80cent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80cent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2013 at 11:17am
Thanks for the feedback guys. Follow up question-- how do I know how much light I need? I don't know what types of coral I'll be growing, but I'm wondering if there's a general rule for wattage or light spectrum required for a certain tank size. Thanks again!
chris.rogers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2013 at 11:52am
General overview:

T5
Pro - little heat, cost effective power bill, with "enough" bulbs you can grow just about any SPS or even have clams.
Cons - Bulb replacement cost.  Once a year, $20 per bulb.  (Or $15 if you get them on sale.)  Some configuration control over color, but not a whole lot.

LEDs
Pro - On the whole, the cheapest of all setups to run (in terms of power bill), LEDs last several years before needing to be replaced, crazy amount of color configuration.

Con - Not every LED fixture is the same, so it can be tough to judge how good yours is compared to another.  It's usually best to get a fixture with a known LED, either a Cree or Philips Luxeon.  DIY is cheapest but can be tough if you're nervous about electronics.  Still a lot of anecdotal evidence as to how many LEDs, how bright, etc...

For what it's worth I have a DIY LED setup over my 12 gallon and I love how much light it puts out.  I used Philips Luxeon LEDs from www.stevesleds.com
Ils sont fous, ces Romains!
chris.rogers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2013 at 11:53am
If you're looking for a general rule of thumb, a good place to start would be to examine some of the commercially available LED setups that are targeted for a tank your size.

Just be sure to compare total wattage per LED; some people get a lot of LEDs and put less power in them and some people get fewer LEDs and put a lot more power in them.
Ils sont fous, ces Romains!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic