Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Kryptonite candy cane

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Crash2070 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crash2070 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kryptonite candy cane
    Posted: March 01 2013 at 3:14pm
So I've got a kryptonite candy cane and I absolutely love its colour. but it doesn't seem very happy right now and I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips to help it come back to awesomeness

So here is what it looks like, sorry for the crappy pic, my phone seems to suck at this
ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2013 at 3:42pm
How long have you had it? can you give us your tank parameters and a full tank shot?

what kind of lighting do you have?

Crash2070 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crash2070 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2013 at 3:58pm
I've had it for 2-3 weeks, tank parameters are:, temp 76-78.5 salinity is 1.025 calc is over 500 ppm, not sure how high though cause my test kit doesnt read higher than that. PH at last test was around 9.2 I think. PH tests have been rather unreliable for me because I havent been able to get a consistent reading, seemingly due to operator error of the test kit and mag is about 1300.
I'll go take a tank pic. also of note is that the coral is about halfway up from the bottom, good light and I believe medium flow area
Crash2070 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crash2070 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2013 at 4:10pm
Lighting is some pretty awesome LED lights and here comes 3 tank pics (its kind of big) two halves of it and a full tank. also a much better picture of the candy cane

Crash2070 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crash2070 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2013 at 4:11pm
better pic of the candy cane
Bryce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2013 at 4:19pm
How long has that tank been up? PH seems high, other parameters are ok, ca is slightly high, I would also check your alk shd be 8-12 dkh, it doesnt look that bad, check it at night to see if its feeder tenticles are out and spot feed it some frozen mysis, cyclops, brine, etc

Edited by Bryce - March 01 2013 at 4:22pm
65g Reef
Crash2070 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crash2070 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2013 at 4:21pm
Sorry I meant alk when I said PH. Tank has been going about 2 months now
Also my Apex tells me my PH is 5.65 right now and it can swing a point up or down every other day or so. not always changing but when it does it doesnt change much

Edited by Crash2070 - March 01 2013 at 4:23pm
Bryce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2013 at 4:24pm
2 months is pretty new still and parameters can still be finding balance, check it at night, if its tenticles are not coming out at night thats when i would be concerned, mine stay closed up most of day and are out all night. 5.6 is low PH, you will want to bump that up to 8+

Edited by Bryce - March 01 2013 at 4:25pm
65g Reef
Crash2070 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crash2070 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2013 at 4:26pm
ok, so how should I do that target feeding? I dont have any of those materials but I can go buy some pretty easy. I hope I can get this thing looking awesome again
Bryce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2013 at 4:28pm
I just use a turkey baster with a small amount of frozen food that I thaw out in a little of the tank water...you dont need much and you dont need to feed everyday or anything but if you think its not healthy target feeding can help it if it will eat

Edited by Bryce - March 01 2013 at 4:29pm
65g Reef
Crash2070 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crash2070 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2013 at 4:31pm
Alright, thanks I'll give that a try, now to head off the the store to get some of that food stuff. also off to learn how to boost my PH a little bit. Thanks again guys
ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2013 at 4:36pm
ya from the pic it looks like your tank is still pretty new. You've got a lot of water volume with that size of tank but you still want things to be established when you start adding corals.

Have you tested for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates?

Bryce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2013 at 4:37pm
if you want to raise that PH you can buy a buffer or use some baked baking soda (1 hour at 350 in oven) which will also raise up your alk, 1 teapsoon disolvled in some RO water (1 cup is fine) each day will raise 50gal 1.7 dkh...try to not raise it by more than 1 dkh in 12 hours. (Store unsued baked baking soda in air tight tupperware) The mixed solution will have a super high PH which will raise up your PH but usually not a long term solution and it will go back down unless you find the cause. Dont go above 12 dkh for Alk. Change things slowly and try feeding it and get the PH up wd be my advice, the PH shouldnt be that low, do you have the water surface disturbed to properly airate the water, is it in a place that has no fresh air? or lots of home heating?

Edited by Bryce - March 01 2013 at 4:45pm
65g Reef
ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2013 at 4:37pm
^ sorry for repeating. I tabbed out of the screen with out posting my comment so it was a little late.

Crash2070 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crash2070 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2013 at 4:38pm
Ammonia is 0
Nitrate test kit barely registers at all
Crash2070 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crash2070 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2013 at 4:41pm
Have a cool air return underneath the stand but its open entirely underneath. As for aerating the water I think its being done, my return lines and power heads make pretty good waves on top of the water but other than that I dont know
Bryce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2013 at 4:42pm
Thats good that nitrate is undetectable but could be a false positive, that would be very unusual for a tank so new to have such low nitrate but its not impossible, especially when your rocks look so clean, again not impossible just unusual.
65g Reef
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2013 at 4:46pm
Nice aquascaping! Thumbs Up

I would give the tank some more time, and make the changes to the fuge we talked about. I think the PH swings might have been causing a majority of the stress.

One of the best things you can do for corals sometimes is to leave them alone, I saw it in person, so I don't think it was THAT bad, just needs some time to recover from being moved
125g 90g 2x33g 34g
What stores do I recommend?
Up North: Bill ( Saltwater Paradise 801-317-8115 )
Down South: Jerry ( Reef On 801-563-0600 )

Member of GCFB
Crash2070 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crash2070 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2013 at 8:24pm
You know it moss. I love that aquascaping. As for ph its actually 7.88. Turns out i wasnt using the ph probe correctly. So now its functioning correctly. Ill give it a few days before i try and tweak the ph any
Crash2070 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crash2070 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2013 at 12:02am
So a quick update on the kryptonite. Thanks for all the advice guys, it never popped out those feeding arms so I very carefully put on of the mysis shrimp near its mouth, ten minutes later the shrimp was gone and the coral puffed back up super nicely and managed to catch a second one somehow and is currently devouring that. two days and I shall maybe repeat this and see how it improves until then. Again thanks for all the advice
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic