Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I NEED HELP. Do not know how to treat.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Inthenameofweez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inthenameofweez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I NEED HELP. Do not know how to treat.
    Posted: March 01 2013 at 10:28pm
I'm fairly certain I have an Ich outbreak. Blue Hippo and Sailfin are both showing signs. I have them quarantined and I would REALLY love someone to come by tonight.

Located in Ogden.

(214)991-4054
I have no idea what I'm doing. I can't lose these fish.
-Clayton
Mr.Gray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr.Gray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2013 at 10:57pm
If they are qt'ed you should try a copper treatment. And offer them plenty of quality food.
Dan9554880 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan9554880 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2013 at 4:07am
Feed the food with garlic and start to run copper also u can try hypo salinity treatment
210 Mixed Reef
20 Nuvo nano reef
Learn your tank, not the hobby
Crzyfshguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crzyfshguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2013 at 4:14am
Raise the temp to 81, and lower salinity slowly to about 1.019-18, feed lots of garlic. If it is not improving, do the hyposalinity.  Get a container with fresh clean water, get the temp as close as possible, and put them in it for 1-2 mins. If they start acting really odd pull them sooner. This will kill the ich. Then back in qt for awhile. < ="text/" id="_tmpl">
45G w/ leds
15G sump
MP10es

DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2013 at 6:52am
Keep in mind, garlic may aid in getting your fish to eat but will not cure your ich outbreak.
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2013 at 8:25am
My recommendation is to feed with garlic-soaked food, run a UV sterilizer and ozone if you can, and if it's really bad get a cleaner wrasse (I don't usually like recommending cleaner wrasses since they usually all die in captivity). If UV and ozone is not a practical option, then go with either hyposalinity or the tank transfer method.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan9554880 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2013 at 9:05am
I have fought ich a few times before so I know how to beat it

Don't raise the temp. That only works in freshwater (need to match temp. And ph)
Also don't do a freshwater dip intil it's is really bad (last resource)
Run a uv sterlizer
Also u can try using ich attack and its reef safe (double dose)
Cleaner wrasse don't eat the ich but if u feel that need of one get it. Can also get a neon goby

Edited by Dan9554880 - March 02 2013 at 9:10am
210 Mixed Reef
20 Nuvo nano reef
Nails12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nails12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2013 at 10:40am
Originally posted by Ann_A Ann_A wrote:

My recommendation is to feed with garlic-soaked food, run a UV sterilizer and ozone if you can, and if it's really bad get a cleaner wrasse (I don't usually like recommending cleaner wrasses since they usually all die in captivity). If UV and ozone is not a practical option, then go with either hyposalinity or the tank transfer method.

Off topic, but I have had my cleaner wrasse for quite some time. Eats pellets and everything. 
Back on topic. . . In my experience if they are too far gone in having ich. The hyposalinity only stresses them out more.. 
This is more than a hobby; its a lifestyle.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inthenameofweez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2013 at 11:05am
I've decided to leave the Sailfin in the main tank. I had doubts last night since the Ich was TINY on this fish and extremely prevalent on the hippo. 

I slightly lowered the salinity in the QT to ~25ppt (1.014). I fed garlic/shrimp/seaweed sheets this morning and she was actually swimming around and eating. Much different from the hyperventilation and LYING ON HER SIDE like last night. I hope the fish gets better, but I would still greatly appreciate someone coming over, as I've never had an experienced person look at my tank, and I fear that this outbreak is possibly due to my own mistakes in setup.

Either way, thank you all for the recommendations. I will update tonight with how the condition changes.
-Clayton
larseb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larseb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2013 at 11:10am
If you keep them happy and well fed the should pull through make sure you water quality is good to. As was stated before garlic will help them want to eat, so feed with that. This is all i have done when i have had ich and it has worked like a charm.
Crzyfshguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crzyfshguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2013 at 11:17am
1.014 seems quite low, I like to keep them a little higher than that. Glad it seems to be working. I have never tried all the fancy stuff mentioned above and have had great success with lowering salinity and raising temp. Though I keep my reef quite hot, and feed garlic everytime I feed, and I don't have problems with ich.

The reason the lower salinity works is inverts (which ich is) thrive in higher salinity, but fish actually prefer it lower. Higher temps are natures way of fighting infection (think of getting a fever when sick) So when you combine the two as well as garlic which is a proven immune booster, you are simply letting the fish fight the infection while weakening the ich. < ="text/" id="_tmpl">
45G w/ leds
15G sump
MP10es

ClownFishAddict View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClownFishAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2013 at 11:31am
I have an almost full bottle of Rid-Ich+ if you need it. I'll let it go for a cheap coral or something.

Edited by ClownFishAddict - March 02 2013 at 1:14pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan9554880 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2013 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by Nails12 Nails12 wrote:

Originally posted by Ann_A Ann_A wrote:

Off topic, but I have had my cleaner wrasse for quite some time. Eats pellets and everything. 
Back on topic. . . In my experience if they are too far gone in having ich. The hyposalinity only stresses them out more.. 

I have my cleaner wrasse for a while also my eats everything, mysis, pellets, nori, and even flakes
210 Mixed Reef
20 Nuvo nano reef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inthenameofweez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2013 at 2:50pm
Can ANYONE with a few years experience please come over today?
-Clayton
Jeffatpm View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffatpm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2013 at 4:21pm
I would if you were closer.
So obviously as you can see, everyone has an opinion about what to do with ICH.
I highly recommend the Mr. Saltwater tank disease guide.
I have 8 tangs in my 210 and have battled almost everything.
What workes for me is garlic in the tank every now and again(literally riced garlic right in the water).  This doesn't cure the ich, but seems to help keep the fish healthy.
UV Steralizers make a difference in my tank, but the draw back is ich lives on rock and fish, which a uv steralizer does nothing for.
I've tried the Rid X and other reef safe treatments and nothing!  I felt like I was wasting money, I even tried putting in so much that my water turned a greenish color.
Never had luck with freshwater dips, Yes PH and temp must match very close - Every fish I've done this with has died, yes last resort and only provides temporaly relief.

Copper works! but of course in a separate tank.  Other option to clean the rockwork of the parasites is to take all the fish out of your tank and leave the tank without any fish for 60 days.  Treat the fish at the same time and by the end you are free of ich - but be super sterile to not ever introduct it again.
I have constant ich and I'm trying to figure out where to put the fish from my 210 to clean the tank and the fish for the 60 days.  umm kitchen counter? LOL
Kevin
210 Reef with loads of LEDS
Large Fishey Room
Located Near Jordan Landing in West Jordan.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inthenameofweez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2013 at 3:09pm
Well my Blue Hippo still has some spots. I have yet to see another cycle of spots in the main tank. That obviously doesn't mean that it's gone. I'll wait another 2 weeks and reevaluate the Hippo. Otherwise, she is swimming and eating well. I think that there is something wrong with one of her fins though. I see a small piece of what looks to almost be "extra" flesh hanging. I will get a picture if I can. The copper treatment is helping a lot I think. I hope. Half as many spots this time as compared to last.

Oh, and I move my QT next to my main tank so it looks really cool. I'll post a pic in my tank thread. I'm so happy with my setup right now. I jst want her to get healthy so I can reintroduce her into my my 90 Gallon!
-Clayton
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2013 at 3:47pm
I can possibly come over this weekend...I'm just in South Weber. Here's my experience with ich:

http://www.reefdup.com/2012/01/28/fish-quarantine-treatment-for-marine-ich/

Originally posted by Crzyfshguy Crzyfshguy wrote:

Raise the temp to 81, and lower salinity slowly to about 1.019-18, feed lots of garlic. If it is not improving, do the hyposalinity. Get a container with fresh clean water, get the temp as close as possible, and put them in it for 1-2 mins. If they start acting really odd pull them sooner. This will kill the ich. Then back in qt for awhile.

1.014 seems quite low, I like to keep them a little higher than that. Glad it seems to be working. I have never tried all the fancy stuff mentioned above and have had great success with lowering salinity and raising temp. Though I keep my reef quite hot, and feed garlic everytime I feed, and I don't have problems with ich.

The reason the lower salinity works is inverts (which ich is) thrive in higher salinity, but fish actually prefer it lower. Higher temps are natures way of fighting infection (think of getting a fever when sick) So when you combine the two as well as garlic which is a proven immune booster, you are simply letting the fish fight the infection while weakening the ich. < ="text/" id="_tmpl"><div id="<%= Id %>" class="_mp3rocket_overlay_style" style="left: <%= Left %>; top: <%= Top %>; width: <%= Width %>; height: <%= Height %>">

Sorry, but this is bad advice. If you haven't had a problem with ich, then this isn't the reason. Ich (cryptocaryon irritans) has been shown in countless studies to be very tolerant of low salinity (down to 14 ppt or 1.011)...and even lower in rare cases. They burrow into the skin of fish, so they are not affected by variations in temperature/salinity until after they leave the fish. Due to the life cycle of ich, it takes quite a while to kill all of it with low salinity (about 6 weeks). Yes, lower salinity is beneficial to the fish.

Raising the temperature is actually INCREASING the reproductive rate of ich (lowering it works for freshwater...NOT saltwater.) The optimal temp for marine ich to reproduce is 86 degrees. Lowering the temperature will actually help, and antibiotics (which should be run during an ich infestation in a QT tank) are more effective at a lower temp. Raising the temp can also change the fish's blood pH...which is not beneficial to an already-stressed fish.

Freshwater dips will also not kill ich. Ich burrows into the skin of the fish and creates a protective shield. There's really nothing that can be done at this stage against the ich. It's only once it falls off to complete the remnant of its life cycle that it can be fought.

Edited by ReefdUp - March 20 2013 at 3:49pm
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inthenameofweez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2013 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by ReefdUp ReefdUp wrote:

I can possibly come over this weekend... I'm just in South Weber. Here's my experience with ich:

http://www.reefdup.com/2012/01/28/fish-quarantine-treatment-for-marine-ich/

I read your link. I think I'm halfway there. I would love your assistance this weekend. I am available after 8pm Friday and Saturday. Sunday all day!

Edited by Inthenameofweez - March 21 2013 at 12:32pm
-Clayton
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2013 at 8:29am
Ah! I missed this post...sorry. I can make it today though.

8 five oh - 226 - three 3 six 6 (text is best)
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inthenameofweez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2013 at 5:03pm
Thank you so much for coming over Nikki.
-Clayton
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic