Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tank safe paint (inside)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Boxerboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boxerboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tank safe paint (inside)
    Posted: March 03 2013 at 3:26am
I want to paint my overflow box black anyone know of a safe paint that won't erode in water?
120G's
Radion/T5 Combo
Vertex 150 Skimmer
Apex Controlled
SPS LPS & Softies
sillyfrag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sillyfrag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2013 at 12:49am
I think the biggest problem is getting the paint to stick to the glass. If you are painting an acrylic overflow then I think a regular enamel paint would work if you scuff the plastic really well and give it plenty of time to cure. I would shy away from it if it were me.   My overflows are masked with a thin piece of black acrylic that fits right inside. That way seems safer to me.
The first forty years of my childhood were the best.
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2013 at 8:06am
Krylon acrylic fusion spray paint ( found in walmart ) has been used by MANY reefers over years without any traceable negative effects. I have friends who have acrylic overflow boxes that they painted with this paint, and their reefs are fine. Just make sure its dry and the paint has cured before you let it touch the water.

It sticks well to plastic, but if you're having troubles getting it to stick, just sand the overflow box a little ( you won't see the scratches it once it's painted )

Edited by Pete Moss - March 04 2013 at 8:06am
125g 90g 2x33g 34g
What stores do I recommend?
Up North: Bill ( Saltwater Paradise 801-317-8115 )
Down South: Jerry ( Reef On 801-563-0600 )

Member of GCFB
Crzyfshguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crzyfshguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2013 at 11:25am
I agree with Pete... Scuff it with red scotchbrite til there are no shiny areas, and Krylon fusion it. < ="text/" id="_tmpl">
45G w/ leds
15G sump
MP10es

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic