Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

thoughts on starry blenny

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
1stupidpunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: thoughts on starry blenny
    Posted: March 07 2013 at 6:23pm
I run both carbon and GFO. The put 2 cups of carbon in a bag in my filter sock that i change out every 2 weeks. I also run a two little fishies phosban reactor that i change out as required.
Jeffatpm View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffatpm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2013 at 5:02pm
are you running carbon or gfo?
210 Reef with loads of LEDS
Large Fishey Room
Located Near Jordan Landing in West Jordan.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2013 at 4:04pm
the tank is a 72g bowfront, i do have a small blue tang and a small yellow tang in the tank but neither will touch the hair algae.

I moved out of my apartment in late dec and when i set the tank up in the new house i upgraded the lights from a crappy 2 bulb to a nice 4 bulb. At the same time i upgraded my skimmer but it took a few weeks to tune it in. I also overfed a wee bit as the fish looked stressed from the move. The combination of all this along with my refugium not being fully setup (my refug light crapped out) started the hair algae to bloom everywhere.

The fuge is up and running with niced size ball of chaeto and grape caulurpa. I have gone back to my regular feeding 2 days on 1 day off. I buy all my RO water from the LFS and use the same salt.
tfmreefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfmreefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2013 at 10:36am
I would do it. I think that the bigger the tank the better luck you would have with it being territorial. They are way cool
"The early bird might get the worm, but only the second mouse gets the cheese."
rwgoose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwgoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2013 at 5:14pm
i have a starry blenny!! he is easily my favorite fish!! he eats my algea.. and all the frozen i feed, including pellets and flake.. only thing, he is aggressive when i add new fish.. when i got my black clowns he was pretty pissed!! but after two days he calmed down and now just swims and hides.. they are a great add.. just my opinion
getting fishy??
Jeffatpm View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffatpm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2013 at 5:06pm
Starry Blennies are so beautiful and neat.
I had one and it would only eat hair algea, and that was the problem.
He died after my tank was clean because he had nothing to eat.
I kept trying to get him to eat pellets and he wouldn't touch them.

I'd say worth a shot, that or a tang, but be ready to supplement feeding or sale after tank is clean.
210 Reef with loads of LEDS
Large Fishey Room
Located Near Jordan Landing in West Jordan.
sanddune600 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanddune600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2013 at 4:01pm
Oh one more thing are you using an ro unit if so when was the last time you checked your tds coming out of it or changed the filters
Andy Jorgensen
My number is four three 5 7 six four 8 0 three four
sanddune600 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanddune600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2013 at 3:59pm
algae eating fish may help but determining why you have the algae may be a better place to start how long ago did you move the tank. Has anything changed in the way you are caring for the tnak like the salt you are using, chemicals you are adding, food, etc
Andy Jorgensen
My number is four three 5 7 six four 8 0 three four

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2013 at 12:53pm
Hi all,
Im debating about wether or not a starry blenny would be a good fit for my reef tank. I am having an issue with some hair algae blooms due to a somewhat recent tank move and lighting upgrade. I tried turbo snails that made little impact, i had a sea hare that worked great, but after he cleaned the entire tank i traded him off fearing the would starve. Soon as i traded him the algae cam back.

Im thinking that if i add a lawnmower or a starry blenny it would keep the growth at bay once i toothbrush and siphon the larger growth.

I read that they can be territorial towards similar looking fish. I do have a scooter blenny that has similar color patterns. Any thoughts on if it would cause aggression?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic