Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need help, water in airline of skimmer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
wbtt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wbtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need help, water in airline of skimmer
    Posted: March 05 2013 at 9:16am
I bought a used 34g nano come with the external skimmer and it does not work right. The airline filled with water and there are no bubles in the skimmer. I'm not sure the airline is missing something or not. The airline is connected directly to the air outlet on the pump.  Does anyone no how the kimmer work? Your help is appreciated.
jdskidawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdskidawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2013 at 10:11am
sometimes i have to blow into the airline to get things going

Edited by jdskidawg - March 05 2013 at 10:12am
150 in the works

8g Biocube,minijet 606,par38 led and Intank media tower,koralia nano
wbtt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wbtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2013 at 11:11am
Originally posted by jdskidawg jdskidawg wrote:

sometimes i have to blow into the airline to get things going
Thanks jdskidawg, I have done that but still the same.
jdskidawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdskidawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2013 at 11:34am
does the water flow through the skimmer? maybe something is wrong with the impeller
what type of pump is on it?
150 in the works

wbtt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wbtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2013 at 11:42am

does the water flow through the skimmer? maybe something is wrong with the impeller
  Yes, the water flow through and come out to the tank but now buble. I am not sure what brand of pump. I'll check it when get home today.
wbtt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wbtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2013 at 8:46am
Originally posted by wbtt wbtt wrote:

Yes, the water flow through and come out to the tank but now buble. I am not sure what brand of pump. I'll check it when get home today.
Pump is "Odyssea EX250", pump could be weak but not sure, any suggestion.
jdskidawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdskidawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2013 at 11:16am

If the water is flowing through I could only think that the air line was plugged somehow.

Stupid question! You are running salt water though the skimmer Right? The only reason I ask this is because I myself tested a skimmer with Fresh water once and it didn’t seem to work right

Might need a new pump

Edited by jdskidawg - March 06 2013 at 11:17am
150 in the works

wbtt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wbtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2013 at 1:17am
I use it in salt water. I am ordering a new pump.
ReefOn View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefOn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2013 at 3:18am
Usually the airline is connected to the intake or feed of the pump, not the output of the pump. You are probably getting water shooting out of the airline with the way it is hooked up in the picture.

ReefOn

7563 S Main St (700W)

Midvale, Uta
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2013 at 4:02am
+1 sharp eye Jerry! Rotate the pump 90 degrees and hook the infeed of the pump to the pipe . 
wbtt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wbtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2013 at 3:52pm
I will try to reconnect the pump when I get home to night.
According to the picture above, if I connect the intake to the pipe than the pump will not pump the water into the skimmer. I may not know how it connect correctly.

BTW: the air intake and the output of the pump are one piece. I don't think I can alter it any other way.
wbtt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wbtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2013 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by Akira Akira wrote:

+1 sharp eye Jerry! Rotate the pump 90 degrees and hook the infeed of the pump to the pipe . 
If I connect the intake of the pump to the pipe than the water is not being pump into to skimmer those, am I correct. I am confused. Will see how it work tonight.
Jacknugget View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacknugget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2013 at 4:09pm
Your pump is correctly hooked up to the skimmer body. The problem is those odysea pumps require a venturi intake. You're connecting the airline in the wrong place. Plug that hole and get yourself the venturi. I've got an extra venturi attachment that I'd just give you.

Edited by Jacknugget - March 07 2013 at 4:10pm
125 Mixed Reef
ReefOn View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefOn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2013 at 4:22pm
Often times when people have a used skimmer, the pump drys and the magnet swells. Then they just grab a random pump that "looks" the same. This is my guess as to what happened.

ReefOn

7563 S Main St (700W)

Midvale, Uta
wbtt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wbtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2013 at 11:19pm
Originally posted by Jacknugget Jacknugget wrote:

Your pump is correctly hooked up to the skimmer body. The problem is those odysea pumps require a venturi intake. You're connecting the airline in the wrong place. Plug that hole and get yourself the venturi. I've got an extra venturi attachment that I'd just give you.
Thank you very much for your offer, I'll PM you to see when is the best time for me to come and pick up the venturi attachment.
wbtt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wbtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2013 at 11:20pm
Thank you very much for everyone help.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic