Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Blue hippo advice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SNOWRIDER View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNOWRIDER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blue hippo advice
    Posted: March 06 2013 at 3:00pm
So i bought a blue hippo about 5 days ago he/she is about two inches long so fairly small, for about the first two days she was out swimming around you could kinda tell that she was trying to still get used to the tank like any new fish, but for about the last three days she has stayed in this cave hiding, i have only seen her out once that i know of. She ate the second day that i had her but i havent seen her eat sense, i am going to try and feed again today and see what happens. So the question that i have is that is this normal for a blue hippo to act this way, and do you think that i should do anything drastic here soon. The other fish that i have is two platnium clowns, one snowflake clown they actually are all great buddies. A magnificant foxface and a yellow tang, i know i should of waited to put the yellow tang in last but there was a local reefer that was selling him and i couldnt pass up the great deal, Thanks for the help. 
75g Just starting out, Stand and canopy From Richins carpentry.
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2013 at 3:27pm
Yeah it sounds like he is just a little bit nervous to come out.  When he gets hungry, he will eat.  I would feed foods that cloud the column like mysis, plankton, nori, etc.  Something where the fish don't have to compete for their fair share of food. 

Another option is to separate the tangs using a divider for now.  
Defending Reefscape Champion (I Think)
Dan9554880 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan9554880 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2013 at 3:29pm
It's maybe the yellow tang bullying him. But just give it a few days and its should be fine. If not take the yellow tang out and move the rocks and reintroduce the yellow (a few days out) it's normal for it to hide the first days just make sure that it doesn't get ich and starts to eat
210 Mixed Reef
20 Nuvo nano reef
Learn your tank, not the hobby
SNOWRIDER View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNOWRIDER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2013 at 4:20pm
Okay thanks for the help i will let you know how it turns out.
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2013 at 9:29pm
WIth Regal (hippo) Tangs I find that they are among the least aggressive Tangs... so I try to start with them as one of the larger fish in the tank - and the largest Tang in the tank.

I have 4 tangs in my tank and the Hippo is the largest by almost an inch - and twice the size of the Sailfins.

Otherwise they can be a little timid and skittish compared to the Sailfins or Ancarathus tangs (Powders, Naso, Sohal, etc)

They also tend to eat more planktonic foods and less vegetable matter than most other tangs.
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
SNOWRIDER View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNOWRIDER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2013 at 1:04pm
My blue hippo has been out for most of the day now and swimming around, she has been eating as well, thanks for the advice everyone. Bobc63 i was really inpressed with your tank and how many fish you have in there, i would love to come and take a look some time and get some advice from an expert.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic