Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cyano help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cyano help
    Posted: March 11 2013 at 3:32pm
So I'm having a problem with Cyano, I havent had a problem with Cyano in probably 3 years and wondered if there was any trick other then correct parameters people use. When I had it last time I just corrected the problem and waited many months for it to clear up. I'd rather not wait that long this time around.

I think I remember hearing people use Chemiclean, has anyone used it or have any recommendations?
Indefinite hiatus from sw aquariums.

Once I have my glorious return I'll set back up the following.
50 Gallon rimless cube.
180 Gallons mixed reef paradise
Dan9554880 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan9554880 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2013 at 3:37pm
I've use cynosolution and it clear up within a day. Didn't bother any coral or invert.
210 Mixed Reef
20 Nuvo nano reef
Learn your tank, not the hobby
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2013 at 3:37pm
I run my fuge lights 24/7 and the cyano has stayed there so far...
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2013 at 3:38pm
I came across this post from reefdup in another thread
"Prodibio is a brand, and BioClean is bacteria and food for the bacteria. Since I started with all dry rock, I have to dose bacteria for about the first year otherwise cyano takes over. I don't recommend it for most people, but it works well for my situation."

Since I have so much Vida rock i'm wondering if thats where my cyano is coming from. What do you think? Where do you get it?

50 Gallon rimless cube.
Erikts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erikts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2013 at 5:10pm
I used Chemiclean and it worked great.  Just make sure you add an air stone.  
34G solana
DMower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2013 at 6:02pm
Chemiclean has worked well for me also.
150 gal reef with 50 gal sump. Reef Octopus DCS-200 Skimmer. AI Sol Blues.
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2013 at 10:41pm
Well...you have my opinion! LOL. If you start with nearly all dry rock, the bacteria can take a while to sort itself out. Or...that rock you're using may have a ton of detritus lodged in it and it's leaching phosphates/nitrates.

How new are the bulbs? How's the flow? Any natural sunlight hitting the tank? Any algae growth? How often are you doing water changes?

You can dose silica to fuel diatoms...which will outcompete the cyano. If you keep the doses small, you won't have a diatom bloom.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2013 at 9:22am
Well, I added about 100 pounds of vida when I moved from my 90 to my 180. I'm guessing that was a big part of my crash. I also used about 75% new sand.

My bulbs are brand new, I have pretty amazing flow since I have a dart return plus two mp40wes. I have really bad algae growth problems. I do monthly water changes. Well monthly in the last two months, before that it had been waaaaay too long. I also just barley got my UV turned on and my GFO and Carbon reactors going.

So you do think I should try BioClean? Anywhere local carry it? Bioclean AND chemiclean?

50 Gallon rimless cube.
ClownFishAddict View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClownFishAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2013 at 9:27am
I have always used the hose and sucked out as much as possible and corrected the parameters. I crashed my 240 once when I used chemicals to rid it. Be cautious if you do. It dont take long if you correct and clean. 
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2013 at 9:56pm
Originally posted by Laird Laird wrote:

I have really bad algae growth problems. I do monthly water changes. Well monthly in the last two months, before that it had been waaaaay too long. I also just barley got my UV turned on and my GFO and Carbon reactors going.

It sounds like a nutrient issue rather than a bacteria issue, but dosing a good bacteria product will help speed up the nitrification process. I'd skim wet...and running GFO/carbon will help too. I'd bump your water changes up to 10% weekly to get the gunk out. Use a powerhead to go over your rocks and blow all the gunk out.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2013 at 12:21pm
I did a Chemiclean dosage of about 3/4 of what they recommended and it worked shockingly well.

50 Gallon rimless cube.
Corey Price View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2013 at 12:59pm
I'm having similar issues, but don't want to hijack this thread. Here's my thread:

http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=57550&title=144g-halfcircle-at-work
Moosetang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moosetang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2013 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by Laird Laird wrote:

I did a Chemiclean dosage of about 3/4 of what they recommended and it worked shockingly well.

I used it as well. Worked great!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic