Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

YOU vote for MY next coral! (Updated w/ list)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
evan127 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evan127 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: YOU vote for MY next coral! (Updated w/ list)
    Posted: March 13 2013 at 12:54pm
So, I have run into a problem I have never encountered in this hobby. I don't know what coral I should add next! So I wanted to get some input from the community! Give me your suggestions of what corals I should add, I'll make a list of the corals that appeal to me the most and you will VOTE from the final list.

Here is what I have going on in my aquarium right now. Mind you its still a work in progress as its fairly new...
(Oh, and the pictures are awful! I'll try to get some better ones in the future)

What should I add and where should I place them? Also, the more specific of suggestion the better!
Ok, GO!

List so far
Zoas x3
Pete's zoas
Acans x2
Trachyphyllia x2
Favia x2
Scoly x3
SPS
Rainbow Echinata

Final list
Zoas x3
Scoly x3
Acans x2
Trachyphyllia x2
Favia x2
I will tally up everyone's vote on Friday night at ---p.m. The most votes on each type of coral from the list above will be the next coral I add to my reef!

Edited by evan127 - March 25 2013 at 3:33pm
evan127 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evan127 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2013 at 2:49pm
25 people have NO opinions?
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2013 at 2:54pm
Green Master Scoly/ holy grail?
Defending Reefscape Champion (I Think)
evan127 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evan127 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2013 at 3:01pm
A scoly would be a good pick! Idk about a green master though. Seems really expensive
Bryce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2013 at 3:12pm
You need fish bro! get some filler corals like hammer or frogspawn to add color and movement, and your sandbed is naked get a tracky or yuma, or scoly or acan colony. Stick some metallic green star polyps on its own rock in the sand bed also cheap way to add color and movement.
65g Reef
DMower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2013 at 3:38pm
Zoanthids, and lots of them.
150 gal reef with 50 gal sump. Reef Octopus DCS-200 Skimmer. AI Sol Blues.
evan127 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evan127 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2013 at 3:45pm
Bryce, I have a clownfish, banggai cardinal, and a yellow watchman goby. I plan on adding a blue mandarin and a sixline in the near future. My sand bed is actually kinda bare. I have a small rock of zoas that I hate. I need to get rid of them. Other than that I have a large rock covered in GSP. I definitely want a trachyphyllia. I love acans too!

DMower, I love zoas! One of my favorite corals! I've been searching for some really cool ones. And by "really cool ones" I mean ones that strike my eye. I'm not on board with this "designer zoa" craze that's going on right now...
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2013 at 5:33pm
A nice Favia
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2013 at 5:36pm
I'm always a fan of zoanthids since they add plenty of color and variety to any tank. A nice favia or trachaphyllia would also look good. If you can afford one, definitely a scolymia.
evan127 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evan127 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2013 at 5:52pm
ReefdUp, I'll add a nice favia to the list!

Ann, I'm a huge fan of zoanthids too! Great suggestions!
tfmreefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfmreefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2013 at 6:13pm
Favia.. maybe prism
"The early bird might get the worm, but only the second mouse gets the cheese."
ReefKeeper78 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefKeeper78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2013 at 6:16pm
Rainbow Echinata is what I would get..
180Gal Reef with 576 Watts of LED's
16Gal Innovative Marine Nano LED lit
150 Gal Frag tank with MH
PADI Dive certified sure love that ocean..
pgravis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgravis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2013 at 6:22pm
acans!
See my house: www.eclecticvictorian.com
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2013 at 6:27pm
Price range?
ClownFishAddict View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClownFishAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2013 at 6:43pm
http://www.jasonfoxsignaturecorals.com/product_p/lps-06.htm LOL
evan127 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evan127 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2013 at 7:31pm
tfmreefs, I'll add favias to the list. Thanks!

ReefKeeper78, I'll add that to the list too! Those are super cool!

pgravis, can't go wrong with acans!

Hogie, my price range is no more than $100 per coral. The less expensive, the more I can add!

ClownFishAddict, yea right! Haha. I saw a coral for $999 on some aquaculture site recently.

larseb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larseb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2013 at 8:25pm
spend 100 bucks on no name zoas and make an awesome garden.......I know pete has a tone of cheap no name zoas and just because they are no name doesn't mean they are not pretty!!!

Edited by larseb - March 13 2013 at 8:26pm
evan127 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evan127 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2013 at 9:14pm
Another vote for zoanthids! Thanks larseb! I'll add zoanthids to the list. I have seen some pictures of Pete's zoas and they are gorgeous.
Teknik777 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teknik777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2013 at 10:18pm
Do what intrests you. With that said all sps! Few zoas and scolys.
220 G SPS Display.

evan127 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evan127 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2013 at 11:02pm
Thanks Teknik! I will add zoas and scolys to the list. Can't go wrong with them!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic