Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

algae problem haha

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bentley21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bentley21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: algae problem haha
    Posted: March 17 2013 at 10:18pm
this is when i know i have a algae problem. when it grows on my clean up crew. haha any tips on hair algae
removal or control? 

150 gallon MIXED REEF
T5
http://www.miniurl.com/s/7tQ
<a href="Thttp://www.miniurl.com/s/7tQ" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">My Tank Tread</a>
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2013 at 10:28pm
What are your nitrate and phosphate levels? How old are your bulbs?

Generally algae shows up when there's excess nutrients in the water that allow it to grow out of control. You may try cutting your lights for 3 days and see if that helps, though that can be a little rough on corals.
Turbostud653 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbostud653 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2013 at 12:19am
Try adding a lawnmower blenny!
Here is what a customer said while on hold Oh my gosh! Did you open the door? I told you not to open the door. Dre is in here completely naked and he's got freak'n Macaroni and Cheese in his hands.
dbb123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dbb123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2013 at 1:45pm
I have the same problem. I just finished cycling and made the mistake of having my lights on while I did so. (im new... Lesson learned) but I also have a little crab with a nice long lock of green dreads... How do I kill this stuff. I cut my lights back. My nitrates are 0 which I was told means nothing, and I even added "right now bacteria" which I was later told is snake oil... What can I do?
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2013 at 5:42pm
Water changes, no light, and scrubbing it off the rock with a toothbrush
any fish or other things may not ever touch it and could starve to death only adding to the problem.
djknauss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djknauss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2013 at 6:12pm
if you are using tap water, water changes are only going to make the problem worse as you will add more phosphate to your tank, turning off lights is only a temporary solution. You should either try to minimize nutrients entering the water or provide means for removing the nutrients, or better yet, both. Overfeeding and using tap water will introduce large amounts of phosphates that algae will consume and grow. A protein skimmer, refugium, and carbon will help to remove the excess nutrients from the tank. T5's seem to grow algae both with old and new bulbs and you should keep lights high for your corals. Coraline growth on rocks will virtually completely prevent algae from growing where it covers (which looks good in your tank, actually). Just clean the glass in the front once a week or when needed only as a temporary fix to the problem (you wont want to scrub it off every other day for the rest of the tank's life). Those snails are algae eating monsters! he probably hangs out by the surface a lot! Kinda cool looking snail :). The algae consuming the phosphates is much better than the phosphates remaining in the water as many corals do not tolerate phosphates very well.
55 gallons of impulsive additions and subtractions.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic