Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Quarantine Tank

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
80cent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80cent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Quarantine Tank
    Posted: March 18 2013 at 8:23am
I am going to be setting up my first reef tank this summer and have a question regarding quarantine tanks. I was reading in a book last night that you should have a quarantine tank set up to keep new fish in for two weeks prior to adding them to your main tank. Is this a mandatory step, or is it over-precautionary? 

I have no problem with doing things the right way-- that's my intention. But that sounds extreme, as well as stressful to the fish. Thoughts?
ReefOn View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefOn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2013 at 8:47am
99% of the people do not run a qt tank.

I would recommend it. If you have the space and the patience, it will greatly increase your success, and in turn your passion for the hobby.

ReefOn

7563 S Main St (700W)

Midvale, Uta
hydro phoenix View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydro phoenix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2013 at 10:11am
I thought the same thing at first, seems extreme and I really wanted the fish in the tank. Come to find out it's the best thing for the fish. And for your tank. Though the fish store you go to you trust and the people they buy the fish from they trust but what you don't know is what's been going on with the fish in the ocean or in the tanks they've been raised in. You could be bringing in a parasite or fungus of some type. You don't know bc usually you can't tell. But you put the new fish in and then all of the sudden your other fish have spots on them or are swimming in circles frantically. Then you have to set up a qt tank and you have a lot more fish to treat instead of the one you recently bought. A qt tank isn't just for fish either, it's for corals too. Bugs that will attack certain species of corals will hitch hike on other corals into your tank. That's the reality of it. I've been in the hobby for 3 years and I can tell you that a quarantine tank is really useful and it will protect your fish and the money you've spent.   
recent absurdity..Unicorns have rabies
80cent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80cent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2013 at 6:28pm
Thanks for the feedback guys. Looks like I have a few more purchases down the road.
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2013 at 6:52pm
Agree with all the above. I've been in the hobby for quite some time, and I would've given up years ago if I hadn't run a QT. There are FAR too many pests/diseases/issues in the hobby.

If you can't afford a QT or don't have the space, there are some short cuts...like freshwater/methylene blue dips that will help...but won't fix most of your fish problems. There are also coral dips, but they aren't anywhere near 100%. This is what most people do.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
wbtt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wbtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2013 at 6:48am
Sorry for the interuption, I know what the quarantine tank for but I do not know what solution/chemical put in the QT tank. Can someone please tell me what kind of chemical will be put in the tank. Thanks
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2013 at 3:53pm
It depends. You'll need to add medication for whatever you're trying to treat. You first need to diagnose what problem you have...then go from there. Pretty much all fish carry ich (cryptocaryon irritans) and internal parasites. You can treat ich with copper, hyposalinity, or the tank transfer method. You can treat the internal parasites with PraziPro. Other than those...it depends.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic