Utah Reefs Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The 6' Tall 1' Wide Hex Refugium/SeaHorse Tank?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The 6' Tall 1' Wide Hex Refugium/SeaHorse Tank?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
improdigal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote improdigal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The 6' Tall 1' Wide Hex Refugium/SeaHorse Tank?
    Posted: March 20 2013 at 8:14pm
So I had someone give me a very 60's looking tall skinny tank that is about 6' tall with base and cap.

I'm thinking about making this a refugium for very large macro and while I'm at it... the flow would be about right for some SeaHorses maybe? Or Jelly fish if I could find some that survive in standard reef temp.

In order to facilitate good water flow thru the tank and to support jellyfish or Sea Horses with a water up-draft, I was going to run the water input through a rotating inlet at the bottom of the tank, and the drain at the top:

BUT... with much terror I just realized, this would be a reverse syphon nightmare from the underworld.

SOOOooooo need my fellow fish gurus input here... what is the master of all syphon breakers.  
  • have used Check-valves in the past, but they always seem to get stuck open after they have run for a while, plus they put pressure on the pump that I'll already be fighting to get this high up.
  • I've tried to use stop and waste valve systems from sprinkler systems in the past, but they seldom fully break the syphon and they put bubbles in the line while running
Anyone else found any miracle-no-fail syphon stoppers?  Found a solution, thanks to Eric

Edited by improdigal - April 26 2013 at 2:12pm
Patrick
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2013 at 8:26pm
A giant hole in the plumbing. When the water starts to back-siphon, the hole will allow oxygen to flow into the plumbing instead of water, and it'll break the siphon.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote improdigal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2013 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by ReefdUp ReefdUp wrote:

A giant hole in the plumbing. When the water starts to back-siphon, the hole will allow oxygen to flow into the plumbing instead of water, and it'll break the siphon.

Any trick to drilling on the return Line without losing all the pressure out the squirting hole? I'm assuming i'd want to drill such a hole at the water line inside the tank?...

Also...letting the 6' line drain back into the sump might be too much water already :( ... A fail proof check valve would be nice

Edited by improdigal - March 20 2013 at 8:34pm
Patrick
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2013 at 10:05pm
I'd recommend not going with jellyfish.... really difficult with these tanks.  We've tried many times and had some great people working on it.  

Seahorse.... much more doable.  

Also, I was just thinking about getting one of those tanks, crazy timing.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote improdigal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2013 at 10:08am
Originally posted by Adam Blundell Adam Blundell wrote:

I'd recommend not going with jellyfish.... really difficult with these tanks.  We've tried many times and had some great people working on it.  

Seahorse.... much more doable.  

Also, I was just thinking about getting one of those tanks, crazy timing.

Adam

Hey Adam!

Wanna come play and help me Setup mine? Lol
Patrick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote improdigal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2013 at 7:15am
Got the lights in, only to find out after that 250 W Metal Halides are probably too hot for this acrylic tank :(  So I'll probably have to switch it out

It would probably be more directional to put in a LED anyway, light is spreading pretty wide and not very deep currently.
Patrick
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic