Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

?remove top frame > rimless tank?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ?remove top frame > rimless tank?
    Posted: April 04 2013 at 8:04am
Aloha,

Has anyone ever done this?

I'm thinking of removing the top plastic brace of a 40 gal breeder that I got at the half price tank sale going on right now at Petco. I was also thinking of adding some glass strips around the top edge(Euro style) to keep wayward fish from escaping.

What are your thoughts?

Mahalo,
Mark Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
jdubb925 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdubb925 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2013 at 10:51am
I have thought about doing exactly the same my only concern is the overall strength of the tank without the plastic around the top, because it would essentially only be held together by the silicone. But I would like to hear peoples opinions or experience cuz I am just speculating.
Justin W.

ClownFishAddict View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClownFishAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2013 at 11:02am
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

Aloha,

Has anyone ever done this?

I'm thinking of removing the top plastic brace of a 40 gal breeder that I got at the half price tank sale going on right now at Petco. I was also thinking of adding some glass strips around the top edge(Euro style) to keep wayward fish from escaping.

What are your thoughts?

Mahalo,
Mark Hug

you could always buy my rimless 120
Bryce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2013 at 11:39am
I do not have direct experience but have read that the glass is not smooth or "finished" on that top edge so that is something to consider
65g Reef
jdubb925 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdubb925 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2013 at 2:06pm
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=92244

looks like some people have tried it some with success
Justin W.

sniper1js View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sniper1js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2013 at 4:57am
Jdubb My 300 is euro style and it has braces in the bottom and along the top but as far as I can tell its just siliconed. So silicone is holding it together. So mark as far as that goes if you leave the bottom and do the glass how you want in the inside I bet it would be ok.
Elite-Aquatics View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elite-Aquatics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2013 at 10:24am
The glass is to thin to make it a rimless its not a good idea. Rimless tanks are built out of thicker glass for two reasons, one is to help with bowing and second the thicker glass gives more silicone bonding surface area. standard braced tanks are typically built to a safety factor of 5:1 rimless should be built to a safety factor of 7:1

For example, lets say a 48x24x24 tank will be fine built out of 14mm glass (1/2") with a eurobrace that would have a safety factor of 5. 

If you took the same size tank but without the eurobrace to make it "rimless" you would need to bump it up to 16mm (5/8") glass to be within the safety factor of 7 required for a rimless tank.

Edited by Elite-Aquatics - April 13 2013 at 10:42am
Premium aquarium filtration!
TriggerHappy View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TriggerHappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2013 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by jdubb925 jdubb925 wrote:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=92244

looks like some people have tried it some with success

Hope you don't mind:

Linky
210 gallon Mixed Reef
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2013 at 9:32pm
Aloha,

Your comments and links are appreciated.
The tank is a brand new 40 gal breeder. It's shallow and there is no center brace.
If the water level is kept at least 2" below the top edge, by my guestimation, it should be okay.
I'm going to try it. Wish me luck.

Mahalo,
Mark Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Corey Price View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2013 at 10:31pm
Mark,

That plastic trim is not even close to being stiff enough to brace the glass. It is definitely the other way around. A 40 breeder would make a fine rimless, but the edges aren't going to be pretty as has been discussed.

Elite Aquatics-

Where are you getting these safety factors? What are they for?

Corey

Edited by Corey Price - April 13 2013 at 10:33pm
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2013 at 11:04pm
Mark , I would be happy to look at for you and do some light polishing of the upper edge for you to make it look better. On a breeder tank I would not be as concerned about removing the rim as I would be on a taller tank. 40 = 20 to 40 lbs rock minus the water from the rock volume ? What is the max like 30g I would do it !!!!!
xlr8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xlr8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2013 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

Aloha,

Your comments and links are appreciated.
The tank is a brand new 40 gal breeder. It's shallow and there is no center brace.
If the water level is kept at least 2" below the top edge, by my guestimation, it should be okay.
I'm going to try it. Wish me luck.

Mahalo,
Mark Hug

Your 40 breeder has no center brace? Interesting. My 30 breeder has a center brace and I've been contemplating its removal. It casts a shadowDisapprove.

I dont think the flimsy plastic rim on your tank is enough to be a brace. I feel its there to give a finished look and provide  a place to add a hood or cover. I am curious to hear others chime in....
... I could be wrong.
When you hear hoofbeats....Think of a zebra
rsay4654 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rsay4654 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2013 at 6:49am
i have removed the brace before and had it filled to the very top. no issues even a year later.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic