Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Which salt to use.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2013 at 2:09pm
I get it at fish 4 u but I know reef on has it too.
Bryce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2013 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by phys phys wrote:

Jumbo... Yes, they have the regular blue container and now a red. It has much more cal, mag, alk, etc in it.

Pictures or it didnt happen....how can they get more calcium/mag in that mix, it mixes up so high already. Oceanic Natural Sea Salt Mix new reef formula?
65g Reef
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2013 at 3:38pm
Not oceanic... Sorry.. Instant ocean...
SNOWRIDER View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNOWRIDER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2013 at 7:54pm
Originally posted by Ryan Thompson Ryan Thompson wrote:

How many times did you test and what test kit? Do you mix the salt in the bucket before adding it to the water?

I HIGHLY doubt your alk is 14.1dkh. Salinity doesn't have that high of alk and your corals should be using it up. If they aren't, something else is wrong.

How do check your water, hydrometer or refractometer? Has the instrument been calibrated properly?

I will echo what others have said and tell you that long term, weekly water changes won't work. I change my water weekly right now using ESV B-Ionic salt. It has an alk reading of 9dkh every time. I keep my tank at 7.5-8dkh and I have to dose AT LEAST every other day to keep alk around there. If I go more than 5 days without dosing my alk will bottom out around 6dkh and my corals show signs of my laziness.

Sorry for all the questions but an alk reading of 14.1 is VERY unlikely.
I didnt have a alk test so i took my water and had a LFS test it, so who know's how accurate it really is. I mix all my water in a bucket and let it sit for 24 hours before doing the water change, right now i am using a hydrometer i know i need to get a refractometer soon. I do need to test again, what test kits do you use? Does pretty much everyone dose?
75g Just starting out, Stand and canopy From Richins carpentry.
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2013 at 10:51pm
I do no not have a heavy bio load at this time and have done several 20g water changes every other day to get my high nitrate into check. I have a new system that has had several issues due to me and only me !!!! But with that many water changes using oceanic (blue bucket) salt the highest I ever read is 9.0-10 and I run at 1.025 .  I mix in 2 15g totes with power heads for minimum of 24 hrs. Its great to premix but are you using something to keep flow in your container. Also you will get settling in a bucket of salt due to shipping. I always roll new buckets around for a few to help remix the contents . Not so sure this matters but  minimal effort to insure an even mix is worth it to me.
SNOWRIDER View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNOWRIDER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2013 at 9:44am
I use the same container when i mix up my salt water, i dont know if that is a bad thing or not maybe some other people can chime in on that, i use a pretty big pump to keep my water mixing for the 24 hours as well. What test kits do people like and dont like? thanks for all of your help.
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2013 at 9:53am
I personally use instant ocean reef crystals and do water changes every few months or so. I can get away with this because I run a calcium reactor which maintains calcium, alkalinity, an magnesium. I also dose strontium and molybednum. For nitrates I skim and run a biodenitrator. This has all worked great for me for some time and as log as it works I recommend it for those who are willing to do the work to get it working.

As for test kits I like salifert best with Red Sea coming in second place. If you can afford them I've heard the Hanna checkers are good.
Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2013 at 10:56am
Originally posted by SNOWRIDER SNOWRIDER wrote:

Originally posted by Ryan Thompson Ryan Thompson wrote:

How many times did you test and what test kit? Do you mix the salt in the bucket before adding it to the water?

I HIGHLY doubt your alk is 14.1dkh. Salinity doesn't have that high of alk and your corals should be using it up. If they aren't, something else is wrong.

How do check your water, hydrometer or refractometer? Has the instrument been calibrated properly?

I will echo what others have said and tell you that long term, weekly water changes won't work. I change my water weekly right now using ESV B-Ionic salt. It has an alk reading of 9dkh every time. I keep my tank at 7.5-8dkh and I have to dose AT LEAST every other day to keep alk around there. If I go more than 5 days without dosing my alk will bottom out around 6dkh and my corals show signs of my laziness.

Sorry for all the questions but an alk reading of 14.1 is VERY unlikely.

I didnt have a alk test so i took my water and had a LFS test it, so who know's how accurate it really is. I mix all my water in a bucket and let it sit for 24 hours before doing the water change, right now i am using a hydrometer i know i need to get a refractometer soon. I do need to test again, what test kits do you use? Does pretty much everyone dose?

Make sure you get your hydrometer calibrated. you could be running a high salinity and that is causing the high alk readings.

.I would say the vast majority of us are dosing in some form.
SNOWRIDER View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNOWRIDER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2013 at 2:56pm
Thanks for the info everyone.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic