Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anthia advice...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Williams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Williams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2013 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by Moosetang Moosetang wrote:

Oh ok. Lol! I guess I need a wife. On second thought, maybe I won't try Anthias again. Lol!

Lol. You can always change your light schedule. Thats what I did. I slowly changed from 8am-8pm to 11am-11pm. This allows me to feed few times when I get home from work.

Edited by Williams - April 08 2013 at 5:29pm
Moosetang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moosetang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2013 at 6:14pm
I do have me schedule from 12p-9p.
Trevor40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trevor40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2013 at 11:18am
I would order your anthias from Liveaquaria as they have a 14 day guarantee. Mine came in more colorful that any I have seen in the store and if they die they will send you new ones as long as you follow the acclimation process they recommend.
Call or Text (801)834-3119
kellerexpress View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellerexpress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2013 at 12:15pm
I had 3 Bartletts for almost 2 years just feeding them once a day. Maybe I was lucky.
IM 30L
Kessil A160we x2
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2013 at 12:19pm
I only feed twice a day. Once at about 3pm when I get home and once at about 7pm after dinner. So far all three of my dispars have been doing great and are plump and happy.

I feed a mixture of beefheart, bloodworms, rotifers, mysis, brine, and cyclopeeze once a day to the fish and a mix of the same stuff but blended into a purée for the corals in the evening. My anthias eat both times and seem to enjoy the beefheart and cyclopeeze most.
Moosetang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moosetang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2013 at 10:33pm
Thank you all for your input. Very helpful!! I'll give anthias another shot. Hope for some better results than in the past.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2013 at 8:38am
I reviewed this thread and agree that feeding is very important and where you get them can make a difference. A pic of the tank could still be very helpful. Here are two questions for you:
1. Who are the tankmates? Are any of them perhaps a Tang? Tangs and other fish can be covertly aggressive. New fish may die for no apparent/visible reason.
2. What kind of Anthias are you wanting?

Edited by Mark Peterson - April 10 2013 at 8:40am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Moosetang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moosetang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2013 at 9:24am
I do have 2 tangs. I blonde Naso and a blue hippo. I just like a anthias but I typically go for the easier ones. Considering my situation.
JohnnyHeavens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyHeavens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2013 at 8:43am
I know the thread is a bit old but it stayed on topic so well I thought I'd insert my happiness with the anthias we have. We've got 9 so far and I didn't know they were hard to keep until this thread suggested it:) 
4x Lyretail
3x Purple Queen (did have the smallest one die soon after I got it)
2x Bartlett's

We feed twice a day and generally try to keep something on the alge clip for the fox face and kole tang. For the most part the anthias will eat everything but after either mysis or specrum we add some small floating foods for the anthias and cardinals. In the AM before the kids leave for school they feed either a cube of the frozen coral food (greenish) or a couple (sml nano size) cubes of the frozen reef plankton. In the evening we do the same. Both of these smaller foods hang in the water column long enough for them to dart all over the place in a frenzy and everyone seems to be happy.

All the above fish I bought at The Aquarium at 3 different times. While I have had good luck with LA when I ordered CUC there, I can't imagine online producing less stressed animals than from the local guys. I prefer to buy local but I also don't pick any fish in the tank. Something I don't have the luxury of doing online unless out of the WYSIWYG sections. 
@Home
300g System 150g-Cube Reef+60g Frag+WaterChange
150g Tall FOWLR RIP
@Work RSM 130D w/LEDs
txt anytime @ eightO1-seven5five-eighteen99
Scuba! PADI Pro DM/AI/TecDeep
NSS/CDS-Full Cave Diver
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic