Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Perfect Tank Parameters??????

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ClownFishAddict View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClownFishAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Perfect Tank Parameters??????
    Posted: April 09 2013 at 3:22pm
So I have always gone off what I had been told here and there but is there a set of standard tank parameters? I know ammonia should be 0 and nitrates and nitrites should be 0 but Really is there such thing as "perfect parameters"? I know temp is always said to be between 70-80 so whats right?

Edited by ClownFishAddict - April 09 2013 at 3:22pm
Bryce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2013 at 3:44pm
You will get a lot of different answers on what is "perfect"...70 on temp seems pretty low:

Temperature: between 76 and 80 F

Nitrate: 0.0-15 ppm

pH: between 8.1 and 8.4 - 8.3 is ideal

Alkaline: between 8 and 12 dKH

Specific Gravity: between 1.023-1.026 for reef aquariums

Phosphate: 0-.02ppm

Calcium: 400-450 ppm

Magnesium: 1250-1350 ppm

BTW I probably have 5 of the above but have not had all in the recommended ranges at the same time....yet

Edited by Bryce - April 09 2013 at 3:45pm
65g Reef
ClownFishAddict View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClownFishAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2013 at 3:47pm
That's the purpose of this post. To see what everyone thinks is the "Perfect" set of parameters. 
Dionysus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dionysus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2013 at 5:46pm
What I believe is prefect for my tank is.
Alk 8
Cal 425
Mag 1300
But I do use biopellets thats why my alk is at 8.
AquaMedic 250 Watt XM 20k
2 420s Vhos
29 DT SPS Dominant
20 G Long Frag

My Tank Progress =)
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2013 at 5:55pm
Every tank is different. Corals all prefer slightly different parameters depending on species, morphs, etc. etc. There are general guidelines that all of us are generally familiar with, but it really just takes time and experience to learn what seems to work best for your particular tank.

My main tank prefers these parameters...

Ammonia & Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 0.25ppm
Phosphate 0.04ppm
PH 8.0
Alkalinity 9.4dKH
Calcium 470ppm
Magnesium 1450ppm

Meanwhile my frag tank seems to do best when run with slightly lower calcium and mag levels.
griffith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote griffith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2013 at 9:00pm
Perfect is what looks and feels right to YOU

I too have asked this question but I choose to see each tank as a wonderful living puzzle with many different and unique possibilities

Linn
Pay it forward...
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2013 at 9:01am
Aloha,

I've seen perfectly awesome tanks with Nitrate as high as 40ppm, but lower than that is better in the long run. The list Bryce gave above is greatThumbs Up but could have even wider ranges and still result in an awesome tank, for example:
Temp 70-80
Salinity 1.022-28
Alkalinity 8-14
Calcium 350-550
Mg 1200-1400
pH 7.9 - 8.4

The parameters interact to form a healthy environment. It's very very important not to force a well running tank to fit within all the ranges. Too many hobbyists on this forum (do a search Shocked)have ruined their tanks by the addition of chemicals which did no harm at first but which created a dangerous but unseen chemical imbalance that totally crashed their tank in a day.

*** Anyone desiring specific help would be well advised to post a pic of their tank here, stating their current parameters, their specific concerns and asking for comments from the experienced hobbyists that frequent this forum.

Mahalo,
Mark Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic