Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AI Sol got wet

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ClownFishAddict View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClownFishAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AI Sol got wet
    Posted: April 10 2013 at 9:18am
So I was hooking up my chiller and the connection on the tank popped off spraying water all over. The damn Apex takes a couple seconds to turn off an outlet so the light got wet. Not much as I yanked the plug out but the led's started to act funny as I got to the plug. They flickered and I got it out. What should I do next? Just let it dry or take it out of the hood and take it apart? Go figure it happens one day after I sell the other AI Sol......
kody72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kody72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2013 at 9:29am
Take it out and pull the casing off a fill it with rice
KODY72 FISHROOM BUILD
281g DT
187g Rimless Frag
ATI PM lighting
SRO DSCR-300ext
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2013 at 9:34am
 would open up the outer cover and look inside to see how much (if any) water got in.

Then use a paper towel to soak up any water inside, then use a hair dryer (on cool) to dry out the guts if needed.

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2013 at 9:38am
Originally posted by BobC63 BobC63 wrote:

would open up the outer cover and look inside to see how much (if any) water got in.

Then use a paper towel to soak up any water inside, then use a hair dryer (on cool) to dry out the guts if needed.

I'd do all of the above just to be sure. Maybe even leave it open and let it dry out for a day or two.
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2013 at 10:07am
You need to get the salt out. So open it rinse it in clean water then use compressed air to blow out any water from the entire fixture. Do not plug it in until you are absolutely sure it is dry.

They are pretty tough units so as long as it is salt free and dry it will most likely be just fine.

Edited by Krazie4Acans - April 10 2013 at 10:09am
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
jdskidawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdskidawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2013 at 10:14am
i would do all of the above accept not use water to to clean the salt off
get some  Electrical Parts Cleanerfrom Autozone
150 in the works

8g Biocube,minijet 606,par38 led and Intank media tower,koralia nano
aceofspadeskb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aceofspadeskb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2013 at 10:18am
I wouldn't use a hair dryer.  Even on a cool setting, you risk increasing damage through electrostatic discharge(ESD).  Go with rice.
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2013 at 10:20am
Originally posted by jdskidawg jdskidawg wrote:

That parts cleaner will not remove any dry salt. Rinsing with water would and then you could use teh parts cleaner to displace any moisture and "quick dry" everything in the system. Water in itself will not harm electrical components. Water combined with electricity will. Thus my statement to make sure it is completely dry before plugging it back in.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
chuckfu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckfu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2013 at 10:25am

I would contact a cell phone repair company locally.  Even if you get it dry to what you can see corrosion will still set in and begin to rust the internal components especially with salt water.  I dropped my new cell phone in the toilet Galaxy SI a couple days after I got it.  Took it all apart did the rice thing for 3 days before trying to turn it on and it would power on but none of the touch screen buttons would work and the phone would power off after just a couple of minutes.  They took it completely apart did a super sonic cleaning and coated all of the electronics with some kind of rust inhibitor and it hasn't every had a problem.  It has now been two years later and still no problems.  I think the cost was $90.00 but they don't charge you if the repair doesn't work and they guarantee it for 6 months I think.

Try, try, try, then give up!
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2013 at 10:27am
Originally posted by Krazie4Acans Krazie4Acans wrote:

Originally posted by jdskidawg jdskidawg wrote:

That parts cleaner will not remove any dry salt. Rinsing with water would and then you could use teh parts cleaner to displace any moisture and "quick dry" everything in the system. Water in itself will not harm electrical components. Water combined with electricity will. Thus my statement to make sure it is completely dry before plugging it back in.

+1

I would wipe it off with damp paper towel to get rid of residue salt. Then just let it dry either using rice, or just letting it sit for a few days. Not sure about using heat to dry it out.
125g 90g 2x33g 34g
What stores do I recommend?
Up North: Bill ( Saltwater Paradise 801-317-8115 )
Down South: Jerry ( Reef On 801-563-0600 )

Member of GCFB
ClownFishAddict View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClownFishAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2013 at 10:47am
Ok with a mixture of everyones help I took it out and got it working fine. (Fingers Crossed) It appears there was water in the power socket and the controller socket. I took it all apart and examined it for water or burn marks. found a little moisture in there so I dryed it off with a paper towel and blew out the sockets of the led. Cannot find even a drop in there anymore and it seems to be working.

On another note I took some pictures and am going to do a thread on how to fit an AI Sol into a RSM130D hood. (I keep getting asked how I did it) So look for my Thread in a little bit.

Thank you everyone for all your help and advice.
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2013 at 11:20am
Good to hear that it's working!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic