Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mini carpet anemone dying? Or doing well?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sethooo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sethooo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mini carpet anemone dying? Or doing well?
    Posted: April 10 2013 at 3:47pm
Ok, so I am new to having a saltwater tank and bought a gorgeous anemone for my tank and I have had it about 2 weeks and I can not tell if it is doing well or dying off 😟. It was bright pink with yellow edges and it is now a brownish color with pale yellow edges. Is it just that I am not using the right lighting or is my anemone just adapting still? He also is a lot smaller! He is eating though, I feed him twice a day and he eats 4-5 brine shrimp each time. Please let me know what you think.
Scott B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2013 at 3:51pm
How long has your tank been set up?
28g jbj led nano, 150 g mixed reef, skimz skimmer, AI blue sol's, Reef Angel controller, wp40's, aquamedic reef doser
Sethooo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sethooo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2013 at 3:57pm
About 3-4 months.
Sethooo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sethooo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2013 at 4:00pm
I have been doing about 10-15% water changes for about 4 days now because I accidentally did send it through a small cycling by replacing the filter after seeding it for 3 weeks, it however I'm sure made me loose a lot of bacteria. I am not going to use new filters any more, just replace the media.
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2013 at 4:25pm
How large is your tank? Replacing a filter pad shouldn't throw a system into a new cycle.

An anemone losing color is usually due to inadequate, or over-adequate lighting. If it is still eating that's a good sign, but you might want to light that tank up :D

What lights are you currently running?

Edited by Pete Moss - April 10 2013 at 4:25pm
125g 90g 2x33g 34g
What stores do I recommend?
Up North: Bill ( Saltwater Paradise 801-317-8115 )
Down South: Jerry ( Reef On 801-563-0600 )

Member of GCFB
Sethooo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sethooo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2013 at 4:41pm
I actually upgraded my lighting to a solar LED light with 2 6,700k mid-day led lamps, 2 10,000k daylight led lamps and 1 460nm r blue lamp! It's a really bright light and the guy at the aquarium store said it would be efficient for corals and nems! I will upload a picture so you can see if it looks/sounds adequate! And I have a 6 gallon nano cube! My other coral is doing good but the anemone just isn't as vibrant anymore! And that picture is accurate to what he actually looks like. If I need new lights I will definitely get them ASAP!!! Thank you for the help everybody!
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2013 at 6:19pm
When did you update the lights? It's possible the anemone is just getting used to the new lighting.
125g 90g 2x33g 34g
What stores do I recommend?
Up North: Bill ( Saltwater Paradise 801-317-8115 )
Down South: Jerry ( Reef On 801-563-0600 )

Member of GCFB
chuckfu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckfu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2013 at 6:30pm
Hope it pulls through but doesn't look good. How is its mouth? Is it wide open or closed? What kind of lights did u have it under? What kind did the store have it under? Hopefully its just lost some color because you used to have poor lighting before. What store did u get the light at?
Try, try, try, then give up!
Sethooo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sethooo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2013 at 6:49pm
Pete and chuck, the new lighting was updated before he was put into the tank, and I got him from............ Petco lol I know that is know as like the devils fish store! But they had him under t5s and they said their lighting will only host soft corals and low light needing things so I figured my lights were perfectly fine! His mouth is closed and he eats when I feed him, and like I said I do it two times a day! I do water changes regularly and I spend about 3+ hours a day making sure everything is in place and taken care of (and staring aha!) but everything else in my tank is doing fine, I only do the four basic tests and my calcium test! Do you think I need to check for more things? The guys at petco told me with the water I'm using I should only need calcium and my 4 basic ones. I don't know if this means anything but he was bleaching for about 2 days, but only slightly, now he is gaining back color, maybe he just takes a while to adapt? I'm clueless.
DMower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2013 at 7:05pm
I'd bet that there is too much light for it in your tank.  It will need to adjust to higher light conditions more gradually.  Are your LED's adjustable? 

Keep feeding it for sure.
150 gal reef with 50 gal sump. Reef Octopus DCS-200 Skimmer. AI Sol Blues.
chuckfu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckfu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2013 at 7:10pm
Sounds like too much light too fast. Try to move him in the shade ( if there is any ). If not dim the leds or raise the fixture from the tank and possibly shorten the light cycle.

What kind of 6 gallon tank is it? Fluval edge? How about a full tank shot?

Edited by chuckfu - April 10 2013 at 7:12pm
Sethooo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sethooo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2013 at 7:50pm
I do keep it on quite a whole during the day :/, I would say my tank stays on from about 7am until 1130pm I used to have a timer but I don't really use it anymore because i manually turn on the night light for them, is a night light important? Are t5s low quality or something? It's crazy to think that my lights are intense lol! And it is an evolve 8 with a light I bought for corals. So what light schedule do you guys suggest?
DMower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2013 at 8:07pm
Too much light.  Tone it down to 10-12 hours at the most.  T5's are not low quality.  They wear out, and I'd bet that Petco (in general) does not spend a whole lot on bulb replacements.  I like blue (actinic) lights at night.  Not 100% necessary though.  Do a internet search on the subject of lighting/ light cycles for lots of info on this.  This will cover night lighting also.

Are the LED's adjustable, turn them down and place them on a timer for a start.
chuckfu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckfu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2013 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by DMower DMower wrote:

Too much light.  Tone it down to 10-12 hours at the most.  T5's are not low quality.  They wear out, and I'd bet that Petco (in general) does not spend a whole lot on bulb replacements.  I like blue (actinic) lights at night.  Not 100% necessary though.  Do a internet search on the subject of lighting/ light cycles for lots of info on this.  This will cover night lighting also.

Are the LED's adjustable, turn them down and place them on a timer for a start.

+1
Sethooo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sethooo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2013 at 8:20pm
The LEDs aren't adjustable for this set, I can adjust it to where it is further away from the surface! I had it like right on it but I just adjusted it to where it has about 7-8 inches between the surface and the light. And I will start it on a 10 hour tomorrow! Thanks everybody, you have all been a huge help! I will update you guys in like a week so you can see the before and afters! I crosstown fingers that it returns back to normal! Thanks again!
DMower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2013 at 8:22pm
That is a great start.  Keep feeding it also.
chuckfu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckfu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2013 at 8:26pm
Try feeding it chunks of shrimp or krill or silversides. Brine shrimp isn't much.
Sethooo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sethooo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2013 at 8:40pm
I try to feed him chill but he often does not eat it but he always eats the brine shrimp, I usually break the crill in half, maybe it just needs to be smaller. I hope he pulls through and gets vibrant again!
mOnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mOnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2013 at 8:57pm
Hey sethooo I'm selling a Boostled par30 led light for $50 if intersted, I had it in a evolve 8 like yours and I had a rose bubble tip anemone doing great and u can also grow almost any coral with it , nice shimmering effect too
jwoo View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2013 at 9:10pm
Agreed with what everyone on here has said. You're frying that poor nem. LED's can be very powerful. When ever I get new coral in my tank with my LEDS I go through a 20 day acclimation period. Meaning I turn my light down to 50% then slowly a few percentage up every day. Since you can't dim raise your lights like mentioned and I would cut the lights down to 4 hours a day right now. Every day up it by 30 minutes till you get to about 8=10 hours. Then lower your lights a quarter inch every day until you are back at where you want to be. This should take around 14 days. You'll want to do this every time you add something.
None at the moment
Soon: 72 Gallon Bowfront
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic