Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

29g Zoa Garden Build!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2013 at 7:37am
You've changed something with the way you are taking pictures (or maybe the water just was cloudy) but they aren't quite as bright as what you normally show. lol Those peach nebulas are looking good ;)
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2013 at 10:04am
The water was a little cloudy since I had just stirred the sand and then thought of taking pictures (not so brilliant on my part), and I was using my phone camera so they weren't as good as usual.

I'll work on getting some better pictures uploaded sometime in the next week.
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2013 at 10:30am
So much for pictures.... I had a huge algae bloom and the water is completely green. Anyone got any ideas besides a UV sterilizer or a 100% water change? I've upgraded my protein skimmer to the new CADlights PLS-50 pipeless nano skimmer and it seems to be pulling a lot more out than my seaclone ever did, but the water is still very murky.
ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2013 at 1:34pm
Are you running activated carbon? If not I'd probably run that and also some filter floss to help clear the rest of it up. I'm not sure if you'd want to turn your lights off for a couple of days. I've done that in the past and I think it helped some..

Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2013 at 1:25pm
I don't like turning lights off because it can hurt the corals and at the very least it weakens them because it deprives them of energy. Anyways, I am not running any filtration except a skimmer and a HOB refugium. I may eventually add a HOB filter with AC and filter floss, but for now I'm just going to wait it out.

So far it's starting to clear up with the addition of a much better skimmer and removing some of my macro. The zoas are all going crazy and looking great so I think the algae bloom is providing them with a good source of food, and if that's the case I don't mind waiting for it to slowly go away on it's own (not that I want it to stick around forever).

When it's cleared up I'll post some pics.
ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2013 at 4:43pm
yeah I'm really on the fence when it comes to leaving the lights off..

Glad to hear that everything is doing good though. Cant wait to see some pics!

Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2013 at 8:03pm
Ann, you can take a container and drop a pump in the bottom, put some of the poly pillow fill above the pump then pipe the discharge of the container.  Punch a bunch of holes above the poly fill and drop it inside the tank and let it run.  That should clear up the cloudiness overnight.

Fat
February 4: Winter Banquet at the Living Planet Aquarium
Tickets: http://utahreefs.com/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=36
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic