Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

29g Zoa Garden Build!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 29g Zoa Garden Build!
    Posted: April 11 2013 at 8:53am
So I thought I'd share my progress on my newest tank, which will be specifically for zoanthids. I'm debating about having a small goby or dragonet in the tank, but as for corals it will be strictly zoas and palys.

The tank is a standard 29 gallon aquarium, not drilled. I plan on just adding ATO directly into the tank (no sump) as well as add a power filter for extra filtration. Lighting is provided by a single AI Sol White. Flow is provided by a 1300gph powerhead, though I'm hoping to eventually upgrade to an MP10.

Here's the plan for coral stocking:
  • Awesome Blues (Pete Moss' morph)
  • Blonde Blue Eyed B****es
  • Blue Hornets
  • Candy Apple Reds
  • Captain Americas
  • Darth Mauls
  • Emeralds on Fire
  • Fire and Ice
  • Fruit Loops
  • Incredible Hulks
  • Infernos
  • Kedds Reds
  • KH Sunbursts
  • LA Lakers
  • Magicians
  • Mary Janes
  • My Clementines
  • Pink Zippers
  • Purple Hornets
  • Rainbow Raptors
  • Rastas
  • Red Hornets
  • Spidermans
  • Sunny Delights
  • Tubbs Blues
  • Tyree Space Monsters
  • Utter Chaos
  • Valentines Day Massacres
If you have any other suggestions of awesome zoas and palys please feel free to let me know and I'll add them to the list!

Edited by Ann_A - April 11 2013 at 9:01am
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2013 at 8:57am
This is how far I've gotten in the tank build thus far...

Custom built light mount made of a 2x4

Tank is empty and needs to be cleaned out

ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2013 at 10:40am
Cool! I am very excited to watch the progress of this tank.

tfmreefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfmreefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2013 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by ksmart ksmart wrote:

Cool! I am very excited to watch the progress of this tank.

Me too!! These are my favorite coral. I attempted to do this a while back but that got distracted and blah blah blah... Good luck and keep us updated

"The early bird might get the worm, but only the second mouse gets the cheese."
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2013 at 1:52pm
Happy to say I may have contributed some to that stock list and hopefully can find a few that you don't have and want to add to it more.

If you're going sumpless on this I would highly recommend a small HOB skimmer as you will want to reduce proteins created from Zoa waste. Just a thought but looking forward to the progress.

I think you should add:
Everlasting Gobstoppers
Yellow Jackets Zoa
Psychodelic Zoa
Mind Freak Paly
Wicked Witch Paly

Krazie

Edited by Krazie4Acans - April 11 2013 at 1:55pm
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2013 at 3:04pm
Almost forgot about
Jeff's Peach Nebulas

You saw these in my tank while doing some lazer work the other night, just might not have realized it while you were wearing those really stylish sunglasses of yours. ;) lol
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
rize2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rize2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2013 at 3:18pm
There are a lot of different people eaters and agave morphs that are pretty awesome you could get also.
chris.rogers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2013 at 4:47pm
Following with interest.  When my home tank is up and running I intend to do a 20 gallon zoanthid garden at my office.
Ils sont fous, ces Romains!
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2013 at 8:58am
Got the tank filled yesterday and got all the rock and sand in place. I may add a little more sand but for now the tank is starting it's cycle and will be left alone.

I'm also looking to add a simple HOB skimmer rather than a power filter.

Edited by Ann_A - April 12 2013 at 8:58am
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2013 at 2:58pm
Here's the new rockwork:
laynframe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laynframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2013 at 3:43pm
love zoa tanks. im hoping my frag tank will be stuffed with zoas and palys. 
The time we enjoy wasting isn't wasted time!!!!
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2013 at 3:16pm
Used a large Marina breeding box as a refugium with a Tom aquatics 9W fluorescent light and some chaeto.

Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2013 at 10:14pm
Added my seaclone 100 onto the tank which is already starting to pull some brown crap out.

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2013 at 8:24am
Are you worried about the light from your fuge bleeding over in the main tank and causing algae problems?
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2013 at 8:34am
Not really. I'll have a pretty strong clean up crew and the rocks on that side are low and away from the fuge. Plus there's tons of flow on that side.
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2013 at 8:57am
So far I've moved only a couple frags over to this tank and they all seem to be doing really well. I'm thinking about moving my harlequin shrimp from my rsm into this tank since I never see him in my other tank except when he's hunting more starfish (he's a pig!). Thoughts?

Anyways so far I have these frags in the tank...
  • Fire and Ice
  • Awesome Blues
  • Incredible Hulks
  • Magicians
  • Red Hornets
  • Blue Hornets
Hoping to move more frags over soon when everything is grown out enough in my rsm to frag. Still need a few things from my above list and would love more suggestions, so if you have any cool zoas you think I should add to this tank PM me. Wink
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2013 at 11:54am
Hoping to add a fish or two today. I'll keep you all updated.

Edited by Ann_A - April 15 2013 at 11:58am
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2013 at 9:23am
After only 48 hours of skimming...
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2013 at 9:39am
Looks a little wet. Might want to raise the cup just a little if you can. Didn't you just set this tank up last week and you're already talking about adding a fish or two? Are you worried about crashing the tank by loading it up quick or are you trying to load it and establish the bio filtration quickly for some reason?
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2013 at 9:46am
I want to add an easy fish to make sure the tank is properly cycled. I'm planning on a bangaii cardinal or two. I'm also planning on moving a couple more frags over today.

As far as the skimming I also think it's a bit wet and am planning on cutting back a little to go for a more dry skimmate.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic