Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Basic reef care

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
jpiotrowski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpiotrowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2005 at 12:57pm

Jake,

Thanks, I wrote for 15 min trying to say what you said in two sentences.

It even makes it more difficult when you try including all the 'right' ways.

Maybe we could put together a series of books and pamphlets?  One for sps for example?  and maybe later on condense it into a text?

John

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2005 at 1:22pm
Jody is right, a lot of this has been discussed. But it is buried deep within the bits and bytes of past threads.
I usually find it easier to answer anew rather than try to search the site. My brain finds the info quicker than the "search" button. I guess I had better take advantage of my brain now while it's still working.

Julian's work is not as personal as our MB. I vote for us doing our own, based on our needs and experiences.

How about we start by making a list of topics of interest? Amie, Star and others have begun this already. Here is what I am thinking...

Topic:

The three basic aspects of Reefkeeping
1. Water - condition and flow
2. Food - feeding and waste recycling
3. Light - intensity and duration

Water Testing
How important is water testing?
What is the list of testable parameters, in order of importance?
What options are there if a test indicates something is out of whack?

Fish
Which fish are best to start with and which are best left for a mature aquarium?

Feeding
What, when and how much?
What goes down the sewer and where is the sewer?

Coral
Are coral really easier to keep than fish?

Invertebrates (other than coral)
Did the shrimp die?

Refugia
What are the five benefits of a Refugium?

Rock
What makes Live Rock (LR) alive?
Is LR necessary?
Is it just for looks or does it actually do something?

Sand
Is Live Sand (LS) really alive?
Is LS necessary?

The tank
What size should I get?
Should I get glass or acrylic?

Lights

Skimmer
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2005 at 2:45pm

Even Mark's simple list looks like a lengthy task to me. 
I say if Jon is really going to put this together, more power to him.  I for one wouldn't want that job

Really with all the books and online articles out there I think this pamphlet should be as small as possible. 

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
jpiotrowski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpiotrowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2005 at 4:02pm

Adam,

I was thinking of only the true mechanics of the tank, not going into types of corals/fish/inverts to keep; only if you want sps or other high light organisms, then you will need metal halides good flow, high water quality describing what all these mean but not go into the specifics about each type of coral....that has been done, but good concise for the beginner, detailed for the experienced mechanics has not...or I haven't seen it yet.

John

fj40fax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fj40fax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2005 at 4:48pm

I would think in a short pamphlet form this could be a great teaser to steer people here for more detailed information.  I wonder what percentage of people who set up a SW tank get frustrated and take it down/sell out like my neighbors.  This would be a good selling point for the LFS to keep these around, to keep their customers around.

Fax

Fax 318-3632
90g 2x250W 14kK MH
Sump, Fuge, G3, UV, O3, ACIII
Pleasant Grove, UT Across State Street from the Purple Turtle
Adjustments and Massages for Frags!
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2005 at 5:23pm

I wonder what percentage of people who set up a SW tank get frustrated and take it down/sell out like my neighbors.

90% within a year.  I keep hearing that stat during presentations but I'm not sure if I really believe it.

Adam

bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2005 at 5:44pm
I believe if people had the how to book they would stay in the hobby and not get frustrated. I have people call me all the time to find out what i would do with their specific problem and I try to help.I wished I had a small pamphlet to help me solve some of their problems. Again I agree with Amie make it simple and to the point!
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
I KNOW ROCKS THAT ARE YOUNGER THEN ME!! I AM A Realist! I write what I think!!
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2005 at 7:09pm
When I was just beginning, I made a small cheat sheet with tank parameter ranges. I later added a column with specifics on changing these parameters. For instance; low ph - add kalkwasser, etc. Maybe something similar would be a good place to start ???
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2005 at 7:21pm

Originally posted by bugzme bugzme wrote:

Again I agree with Amie make it simple and to the point!

Hey, thanks.

I think we all agree that there are great books and websites out there that address everything imaginable about this hobby.  And there are people in this club that know more in their little finger than I ever hope, or want,  to know.    But, as a beginner, it would have been great to have had a place to go to find out what LFS or SPS meant.  Or how to do a water change.  Or that I needed to top off my tank every other day with RO water (not salt water).  These are basic things that would have made my learning curve a little easier.  

I think that as a beginner, there really should only be one or two ways to do things.  Then, as you get more advanced in the hobby and have success, you start experimenting with other methods, etc. 

For example,  I don't think it's a bad idea to tell new people to mix their new water 24+ hours before a water change (using RO water), get a powerhead on the water to ensure it's mixed well, and heat it to the same temperature as the tank.  After 8 months of doing that, you can tell them that you dump the salt into new tap water right before adding it to the tank and if the water is room temperature - it's good enough. 

bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2005 at 7:50pm
Shane, that's exactly what I have been trying tosay! Thanks
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2005 at 9:09am
Originally posted by Adam Blundell Adam Blundell wrote:

Even Mark's simple list looks like a lengthy task to me. 

I agree.  That also looks like a whole book to me.

Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2005 at 9:47am
It seems like there is alot of opposition to this from the presidency, why? I wasn't suggesting writing a book at all ! It doesn't have to have all the different theory's about live rock,live sand, or any of the normal things we all have in our tanks. Just things like baking soda, washing soda, pickling lime, making buffer, etc. I think if people had this we would save alot more corals and fish.
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2005 at 10:23am

Jeff are you looking for something like this?

Temperature:
   Ideal Range:  76-81F

If its too low:  Add a heater to tank

If it's too high:  Add fans to evaporate more tank water, add chiller, ...

With a section for all sorts of water parameters (SG, alk, calcium, etc) and situations (white spots on my fish, cloudy water, etc)?

bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2005 at 10:34am

yes Including diy methods also

Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2005 at 10:36am
O.k. I give up
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
Robudda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robudda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2005 at 10:57am
I think it would be cool to have something like this. Some people like the science of everything, some just want to know PH should be at this level and here are a few tips and rules to acheive that.

I see some articles on PH that go on for pages on the math and science of PH, and as a newb it just gets frustrating to decipher what is actually going to help me. There are long articles on everything, I would like to see a Begginer cheat sheet to help out with the maybe first so many months of a tank. After that then it will not be so overwhelming to learn more advanced techniques and adding in the math and science if one once to learn it.

Just like an automobile, Most people do not know how the internal combustion works of an engine. But they have been taught, push gas, brake, add fuel, check/add oil, wash car and some simple rules ofthe road. So can succesfully operate a vehicle and get places.

Edited by Robudda
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2005 at 11:47am

Jeff- I'm with you and with Aime.  I think Jake is too.  I say we go for it, as long as we know that we aren't trying to write a book.
I believe Finch is offering to put this together????

Adam

bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2005 at 11:56am
That would be great Adam I think Jon would do a great job! I'd even pay for a good reference sheet.
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
joliverson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joliverson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2005 at 8:59am

Anyone have Sprungs book that I could borrow.  I was a bit disappointed when I located the cost!

Jody Oliverson

"I glue animals to rocks" - Sloth from RC
ryanj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2005 at 2:26pm

I have the one where he gives coral identifications. I think its called corals a quick reference guide, and I also have aquarium corals by eric borneman, but i just got that one and am reading it.  Check out ebay for these books, you have to go through about 200 books, but you can find some really good prices.  Let me know if you would like to borrow it.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic