Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

24 Gallon JBJ

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 24 Gallon JBJ
    Posted: April 14 2013 at 11:02pm
wanted to show the progress of my 24 gallon nano cube. Got a great deal on it from Ken (skindog).

I set it up about 2 weeks ago. I resued the sand that came with it. its sugar fine.

For lights I bought a 72watt led fixture off of amazon. I had gotten some gift cards from work so I put those towards the lights and they ended up costing only 130 out of pocket. both the blues and the whites have separate switches and dimmers so Im looking forward to that.

for rock I went to Birdworld on Saturday and picked up some of their dry rock they have in bin (not the lace rock for freshwater tanks). Found some really cool pieces. Like my 12 gallon tank, I wanted to keep the auqascape in this tank simple and so I think I ended up with about 9-10 lbs total of rock.

For livestock im going to take my clowns out of my 12 gallon and put them in this with an RBTA. I'll probably stick with mainly soft corals again but may try some monti's and other "easy" sps.

Other equipment plans: mp10es, apex jr controller, skimmer but not sure which one yet and thats probably it.

Ken hooked me up and it came with a maxijet 1200 for the return pump and a aftermarket media basket that is way nice. I plan on running some filter floss and AC in it. I'm hoping that my lights come tomorrow and I will upload some pics.

ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2013 at 11:07pm

rize2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rize2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2013 at 8:37am
Looks good! just make sure there isn't much flow near the sand or it'll be a sand storm in there. I have the same sand in my nano with low flow and still have issues with small amounts of sand blowing around. 
ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2013 at 2:41pm
Thanks. yeah I've noticed with this sand that if you even look at it wrong it goes into storm mode ;) haha.

1skindog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1skindog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2013 at 4:01pm
Yep, it was a little work to get the right flow and the right location for the power head.
ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2013 at 8:53pm
was really hoping my lights would come today as fedex said that they would deliver them the "next business day" which would have been today. I guess not. fingers crossed for tomorrow!

ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2013 at 8:16pm
Lights came but 2 of the blues look more turquoise and you can tell of the color difference in the tank. I dont think I'll be happy long term and have contacted the seller to see if we can work out an exchange. product details say 12 whites and 12 blues not 10 blues and 2 turquoise lol.

Hopefully the sellers will work something out. if not anyone want to help me switch out some leds in my new fixture ;)

ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2013 at 9:06pm

here is a pic for the heck of it. This is with them dimmed all the way down

ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2013 at 3:10pm
Seller is going to send me a return label and exchange my fixture. I guess there was a bad batch. :( back to waiting but other than the defect on the 2 led's bulbs, im super impressed with the fixture and couldn't beat the price.

rize2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rize2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2013 at 9:29am
Originally posted by ksmart ksmart wrote:

Thanks. yeah I've noticed with this sand that if you even look at it wrong it goes into storm mode ;) haha.

If you figure out how to get it to stay down let me know.
ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2013 at 11:35pm

hello diatoms

chris.rogers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2013 at 8:17am
Are the white patches from the sand being kicked up?
Ils sont fous, ces Romains!
ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2013 at 1:22pm
No. Once I stopped moving the koralia around the sand stopped moving. Not sure why the diatoms arent growing in those spots but the sand has stopped from being blown around.

I think this week I am picking up some utah sand and I will be switching most of this sand out for utah sand anyways.

ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2013 at 8:16pm

new toy I picked up yesterday. Mp10es. Love these pumps!

Teknik777 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teknik777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2013 at 8:29pm
Looking good Kyle.
220 G SPS Display.

ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2013 at 9:53pm

thanks Allen! Here is a more clear pic.

ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2013 at 9:19pm

ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2013 at 9:55pm
Im still waiting for the return label for my led fixture. I contacted the seller on Friday to see what the deal was and havent heard anything back yet. Other than that I'm getting really excited for this setup and getting closer to being able to add livestock.

ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2013 at 11:01am
Finally a tank update. I mailed out the led's a week and a half ago. tried contacting the seller for an eta on when I should get my new ones and of course no response...

Picked up a skimmer from John last night and got it all cleaned up and installed. It barely fits lol. Its probably a little much for this size of tank but I got a great deal on it and at least I know it will get the job done lol.

Now if I only had some lights

ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2013 at 11:05am

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic