Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

GHA in frag tank

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
beege29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beege29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GHA in frag tank
    Posted: April 17 2013 at 7:55pm
Have a ten gallon frag tank, getting a gha outbreak any ideas, i have had the lights off for 2 days but want to try vinegar, how much should i dose?? All params are in check. Also tissue is falling off my plating and digi monti??
90 gallon mixed reef
30 gallon sump
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2013 at 8:15pm
Flesh falling off SPS and hair algae too. Sorry, absolutely no idea. Never heard of anything like this before.

LOL j/k
Aloha,
Sounds like a chemical imbalance problem. Of course we can advise you, but not without more information.
Vinegar? That's a little off the wall. I can't imagine how terribly that would mess up the chemistry of this tank. Okay, let's get to work:
How long has it been set up?
Is it connected to another tank?
What are the Alk and Ca levels?
Temperature? Temperature swings?
How many Snails and Hermits are in this 10 gal frag tank?
Can we see a pic?
How long have you had the Montipora and what other coral are there?
That's enough for now. Looking forward to your response.

Mahalo,
Mark Hug

Edited by Mark Peterson - April 17 2013 at 8:20pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2013 at 8:17pm
Why would you be adding vinegar?

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2013 at 8:59pm
I think he's looking to dose vinegar like me vodka to reduce the nitrates and PO4. Kine of dangerous in a tank that size. If you are want to try it to the methodology and recommended dosage is in this link.

http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index.php/current-issue/article/116-vinegar-dosing-methodology-for-the-marine-aquarium

Edited by Fatman - April 17 2013 at 9:08pm
February 4: Winter Banquet at the Living Planet Aquarium
Tickets: http://utahreefs.com/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=36
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2013 at 8:19am
Aloha,

Yes, Bob and I know that. It's called Carbon Dosing.
We are simply confused that such a complicated procedure as carbon dosing would be tried on a tank that is clearly experiencing chemistry and maintenance problems. Carbon dosing is not the answer to this 10 gal tanks problems.
Hopefully, Brandon/beege29 will give us some answers soon so we can advise on the best path of treatment. If nothing else, a 50% water change should be done ASAP, but it would still be advisable to do Alk and Ca testing before the water change, just to find out what went wrong.

Mahalo,
Mark Hug
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2013 at 11:55pm
I started a media reactor running bio-pellets and it pretty much killed all my sps . The media is pretty much pure carbon so I would not recommend vinegar at all. It caused RTN ( rapid tissue necrosis) and STN (slow tissue necrosis) . Before trying any sort of carbon dosing check and see what the required params are suppose to be , for a media reactor and bio-pellets DKH should be low ,like under 7!!! Just a little experience to steer you away from vinegar at this point.
laynframe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laynframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2013 at 6:42pm
Did you add all the bio pellets at once?
The time we enjoy wasting isn't wasted time!!!!
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2013 at 12:19pm
Aloha,
Where is beege29?
Starting to wonder if maybe the hair was just too long...
Mark Hug
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic