Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

adding live rock?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
big al View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big al Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: adding live rock?
    Posted: April 17 2013 at 8:38pm
so i have finally started to get my water cycling where it needs to be and now i am wanting to do a bigger aquascape and have my tank look a whole lot better my questions are will adding some more L/R from a already established tank will it throw my levels off? second is i think i may have a aiptasa i think is how u spell it and i have read they are bad how to get rid of it ? it is super small and its living inside a small piece of rock that has some zoas on it 
big al View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big al Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2013 at 9:15pm
Here's a picture of them look close and you can see the transparent one in the middle of the rock
Jeepkid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeepkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2013 at 9:46pm
I use aiptasia solution and it works great for killing these off. you are going to want to kill them off asap before they get out of hand. mine got so bad that I ended up replacing all of my live rock. Since then I have had a couple of heads pop up but i killed them right away. I picked up a few peppermint shrimp to keep any new aiptasia at bay. It has been like 2 months since ive seen any aiptasia in my tank.
Brian.

"It's a Jeep thing!"
Dan9554880 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan9554880 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2013 at 9:50pm
Adding Liverock from an establish tank will not harm and trow off your levels, unless the rock has been dry for a few days. Also I will not add more rock until you get the aiptasia under control. You can add some perpemint shrimp so they can eat it.
210 Mixed Reef
20 Nuvo nano reef
Learn your tank, not the hobby
big al View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big al Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2013 at 9:54pm
so are both the orange one and the clear one pest and both need to be killed off? and if ive only seen these two is it likely i have more
Bryce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2013 at 10:02pm
If its just on that one little rock, you can take it out cut it off and burn the area where it was attached with a lighter /dip a toothbrush in some pure lemon juice and brush the area off. But if you have many, or its on larger pieces of rock, I would not recomend that approach. Adding live rock that came staright from another established tank should not really throw your parameters off. ...I cant see the clear one, but the darker one is for sure Aiptasia.

Edited by Bryce - April 17 2013 at 10:04pm
65g Reef
Jeepkid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeepkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2013 at 10:03pm
I dont see the clear one in the photo but from my past experience small aiptasia sometimes appears clear or white i guess. To be safe i say kill them both off and look around your tank for more.
Brian.

"It's a Jeep thing!"
big al View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big al Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2013 at 10:15pm
Ok thanks they are gonners tomorrow!
Ryanscott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryanscott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2013 at 10:15pm
I see the clear one it is a ball anemone , there is nothing wrong with them . The aptasia is a problem though . Dont use anything to cut it off or burn it or scrub it with a toothbrush unless you want a lot more of them. If you push sand on top of him he will work his way out but will be attached to the sand not your rock and you can just pick him up and throw it out. I have done that a few times with the aptasia down low on rocks.
Bryce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2013 at 10:27pm
If its that one aiptasia and you burn the area completely, nothing will spread as nothing is left alive to spread but it also kills some of your live rock especially if you have coraline algea on it but it doesnt look like that rock does, Im not taking about a lazer through the glass that frys some and spreads the spores/cells in the tank and leaves some "life" behind, Im talking rock out of water torched with a powerful butane lighter/ torch, followed by pure lemon juice which is so acidic would kill any possible spore/cells left followed by a rinse in some salt water out of your tank that you later discard. I did this 6 months ago on a single aiptasia like you have pictured and I havent had one since. If not done right, yea they can spread....that being said I only have that one experince and could have just got lucky, I like the sand on top of it recommendation. 

Edited by Bryce - April 17 2013 at 11:01pm
65g Reef
big al View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big al Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2013 at 10:28pm
I seen on youtube to stab it with a syringe and lemon juice down into its hole? Any other suggestions or options
Bryce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2013 at 10:31pm
I do not recommend any treatment in the tank if its on that tiny rock and just lemon juice alone wont do what your after....complete death of it, spores/cells..any "life" related to it.

Edited by Bryce - April 17 2013 at 11:03pm
65g Reef
big al View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big al Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2013 at 10:35pm
The rock its on is small I bought it as a frag of the zoes so its not a problem to get it out of tank and its aways away from the rest of the live rock so I dontt think I have more but I will keep an eye out so should I burn or bury it?
Bryce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2013 at 10:39pm
Your call, only downside I see to bury is it may take time for it to move off rock (i cant speak to how long as I've never done it) which may allow it time to multiply/ leave spores/cells but it may have already done that anyway, I vote cut it off with exacto knife at its base/ break a chunck of rock off that its on with bone cutters, burn the surrounding area, lemon juice, as I am an OCD freak, did it before and it worked and would want it dead ASAP but thats just me, haha....always more than one way to skin a cat.

Edited by Bryce - April 17 2013 at 11:02pm
65g Reef
Bryce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2013 at 10:56pm
65g Reef
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic