Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Calling all clam experts!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Calling all clam experts!
    Posted: April 22 2013 at 1:26pm
Alright so I have a large maxima clam that has been doing great for months, but is suddenly slightly bleached and gaping with the mantle retracted. No changes in chemistry have occurred, lighting hasn't changed, and no new clams have been added recently. I've inspected him very thoroughly for pyramidellid snails and any other pests (worms, crabs, etc.) and have not found any signs of trouble.

Here are my current parameters...
-Ammonia & Nitrite 0ppm
-Nitrate 1ppm
-Phosphate 0.03ppm
-PH 8.1
-dKH 9.6
-Calcium 450ppm
-Magnesium 1350ppm
-Temperature 78-80F (nighttime swing)

The only possibilities I can think of are these...
A) My lighting is insufficient for this clam and he has slowly been wasting away over the last few months or
B) The 80 degree temperature is too high and has caused his bleaching and is now killing him.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Edited by Ann_A - April 22 2013 at 1:35pm
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2013 at 1:30pm
Has there been a change in food? Has it had enough stuff in the water column to eat?
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2013 at 1:32pm
He shouldn't need food from the water column since he's photosynthetic. I do feed my fish a ton and he gets bits of their food and can filter out what he wants. No change in my feeding or dosing has occurred.
ClownFishAddict View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClownFishAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2013 at 1:57pm
Found this for you:

Many people do not believe it is necessary to target feed maxima clams. At Blue Zoo, we recommend that most people keeping maximas target feed their clams at least a couple times per week. The trouble is that while these animals do host symbiotic algae and filter feed, most reef aquarists over-filter their reef tanks, especially if they are keeping more sensitive coral species such as those with small polyps. As such, there is not as much available food in many reef tanks. To insure the health of a maxima clam in an over-filtered reef tank, consider feeding commercially-prepared phytoplankton with a turkey baster at least twice per week. Simply broadcast the food up current from the clam, and allow the food to be carried to the clam.
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2013 at 2:05pm
I have NPS just up current from him and target feed them 3 times every week. He gets plenty of food.
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2013 at 2:27pm
something been picking at it?
ch3tt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ch3tt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2013 at 2:36pm
I don't know if you have bristleworms or not but they have been known to eat clams. 
Red Sea Reefer 625 XXL
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2013 at 2:47pm
Is his foot attached? 
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2013 at 4:18pm
Yes
chuckfu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckfu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2013 at 4:26pm
Bristtle worms got mine!
Try, try, try, then give up!
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2013 at 4:33pm
Checked for them and no sign of them. I've checked him very thoroughly and there's nothing on him that could be bothering him. My other clam is happy as can be. But for some reason this guy is just about dead and it practically happened overnight. Nothing has been picking on him and the fish have been out of the tank for two days so they can't have been picking on him. My shrimp haven't shown any interest in him either.

I'm stumped.
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2013 at 4:34pm
Ann,

I know we talked about this earlier...but just for the record...

What lights do you have? Have you changed the bulbs lately?

Have you recently changed GFO/carbon/biopellets/etc?

What about your trigger and/or the wrasse? I wouldn't underestimate them....

www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2013 at 4:36pm
And...I'd still freshwater dip it if I can't get it tonight.
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2013 at 5:05pm
The lights are 6 T5HO 39W bulbs. They have not been changed for 5 months.

No media has been changed or refilled.

The trigger and wrasse have never given my clams even a glance. Besides they've been out of the tank for two days so couldn't have caused the problem yesterday/last night.

As for a freshwater dip...just let me know when to bring him or if I should do the dip here.
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2013 at 5:17pm
Maybe the media needs to be changed? When was the last time?
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2013 at 5:32pm
I change it every month. It's been about 2.5 weeks. I don't think the media being changed did this since it just occurred in the last 24 hours. Plus from my water testing I'm not seeing any reason to think my media needs to be changed early.
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2013 at 5:43pm
Ugh...my best best is a protozoan/bacterial infection then. (But, I'm no clam expert.) Unfortunately, I don't see any way I can help out today with everything going on here. :-( I'm so sorry!!!
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2013 at 7:38pm
Went to do a freshwater dip and the clam all but fell out of it's shell so it's dead.
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2013 at 7:47pm
AHHH!!! It fell out before the freshwater dip? Wow, that was fast.
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2013 at 8:00pm
In the freshwater dip....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic