Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Frag tank filtration

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bryce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Frag tank filtration
    Posted: April 25 2013 at 10:52pm
What are people doing for filtration on frag tanks? Shallow tanks dedicated to frags only. Sumps? Skimmers? Live rock? Fish needed?
65g Reef
laynframe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laynframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2013 at 6:35am
All the above. Inn going to run mine like a normal tank. You need the whole ecosystem imo.
The time we enjoy wasting isn't wasted time!!!!
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2013 at 1:11pm
I don't think you need a sump or skimmer, but I would recommend them if you can have them. No need for fish, and probably not a skimmer if you go fishless. I find that the ecosystem works out just fine without fish and is suitable for corals and invertebrates almost immediately after setup since there's really not going to be much of a cycle since corals don't produce a large amount of waste like fish do. Run macroalgae either in a fuge or in the main tank and you should be good to go. That's just my opinion.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2013 at 1:55pm
Aloha Bryce,

If you want to go all out, here is what I did for my coral farming where I was making $400/month part time:

1. Plumb the Frag tank into a display tank so that water runs from display -> frag tank -> Refugium and back to display. (This leads to more food for the coral. A packed coral frag tank strips nutrients out of the water like crazy.)
2. Place the frag tank as near to a window as possible. Directly in an East/South facing window is ideal.  (The amazing power of sunlight on coral health and growth is a well kept secret, plus sunlight is cheaper than electricity. Smile)
3. Use a good Oolitic and larger particle sand bed (1" Oolitic and 1" CaribSea Reef Grade
4. Set frags on the sand where they can benefit from eating the micro-fauna coming out of the sand.
5. Stir parts of the sand several times weekly to feed the coral
6. Use Macroalgae not only in the Refugium but the frag tank
7. Use herbivores, lots of snails and a few hermits or a Tang if necessary to control algae
8. Use alternating flow in the Frag tank (A Maxijet powerhead can be made to deliver alternating flow which simulates tidal currents. Thumbs Up)
9. Set up a way to deliver Kalkwasser at night
10. Monitor Alk and Ca weekly and add as necessary (Ca Reactor not necessary but helpful if weekly dosing is not your bag)
11. Frag coral like crazy. The faster you frag the faster things multiply because there are more growing surfaces. Here is the best example: A 4"x4" inch sheet of Green Star polyps cut into 16 - 1 inch pieces will grow 4 times as fast because it has 4 times the amount of growing edge.

I've always been accused of going overboard in my posts/expalanations, but what the hec, here are some pics:

75 gal display sitting directly in an east facing window where it received 4 hours of direct sunlight (farmed coral there too Embarrassed).

40 gal (2'x3') frag tank next to the display with MH 400W 20K lighting (this pic was taken at night so the window isn't visible in background)

18 gal tub filled 1/3 full, Oolitic sand bed, many types of Macroalgae, Mangroves(just pruned in this pic) and the return pump Powerhead sitting in a shallow plastic container to keep sand out. This provides maximum space for the Refugium and it's occupants. The extra hose coming off the return was for a skimmer which was never installed because it was never needed. Approve

Hope this is helpful and not TMI.
Mahalo,
Mark Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
jdubb925 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdubb925 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2013 at 6:27pm
No such thing as too much info! Mark you mentioned using a Maxijet powerhead to deliver tidal currents. Whats the trick to that?
Justin W.

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2013 at 9:34pm
Look in the Reefkeeping Tips link below for the tip titled "Poormans Wavemaker.

Oh and one more thing, small pieces of Utah Rock(LBTR) are awesome for growing all kinds of coral frags and they don't look weird when placed in a display tank because they are growing on what becomes LR not manufactured plugs. I have a pile of small chunks of LBTR ideal for frags.

Aloha
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Bryce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2013 at 11:03pm
Thanks guys this is all very very helpful! And I also used rock rubble for mounting frags, I hate plugs.
65g Reef
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic