Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Frogspawn got covered by sand! Nooooo!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JohnnyHeavens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyHeavens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Frogspawn got covered by sand! Nooooo!
    Posted: April 26 2013 at 10:02am
I have an awesome walling frogspawn and one end got covered in sand for what must have been a couple days. The piece hydrates so big that we hadn't noticed the tip was covered. When I did the flesh was starting to recede.

I was thinking of water picking along the edge of the damage but it is definitely receding even after being cleaned off.

Is there a dip I should do?
Do I waterpick it?
Do I leave the abandoned area of the skeleton or remove it?

I don't have a QT that I have lights sufficient for it's needs (yet) but I simply can't stand the thought of this piece diying.

(poor phone pic under blues)

@Home
300g System 150g-Cube Reef+60g Frag+WaterChange
150g Tall FOWLR RIP
@Work RSM 130D w/LEDs
txt anytime @ eightO1-seven5five-eighteen99
Scuba! PADI Pro DM/AI/TecDeep
NSS/CDS-Full Cave Diver
bur01014 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bur01014 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2013 at 10:05am
I'd clip off the dying head, but don't discard it quite yet.  Perhaps it could recover and turn into a nice frag for ya.  Clipping I think is best as you don't want to put the full colony under any other stress that isn't necessary (dipping, etc.).    

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyHeavens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2013 at 10:47am
Thanks bur01014. This type of FS doesn't have heads. Mouth like areas but not in branches easily. Fragged. It's all one big piece.
@Home
150g Tall FOWLR RIP
@Work RSM 130D w/LEDs
NSS/CDS-Full Cave Diver
bur01014 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bur01014 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2013 at 10:52am
ah I missed the wall part....yes, even when healthy those things are difficult to frag, typically only way is to use a band saw to ensure you get a clean cut. 

I'd just watch it closely the next few days and see how things go, if the coral looks to continue going downhill, you could try a dip, but usually when things fall in the sand for me, they recover with time. 

Someone else may chime in some other advice, but good luck!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2013 at 12:14pm
Aloha Johnny,

Just leave it alone and keep it from getting covered again and it should come back. It did not recede because of disease, just suffocation because of sand sand (no light, no circulation - no O2 nor waste removal) so there is no need to worry that it will die up the line.

Are Alk and Ca parameters where they should be?
What caused it to get covered? If you have a "sand throwing" Goby, move the coral to a new place, higher up. Hopefully, the Goby will leave it alone.

Mahalo,
Mark Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyHeavens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2013 at 12:34pm
Thanks guys. 
Mark-It wasn't as much covered in sand I guess as it was undermined by either the diamond goby or one of the other sand bustin critters. It was more tipped over into a hole we couldn't see.  I'm going to put it on a small flat rock as a base.

/cheers here's to hoping it doesn't continue to recede!
@Home
150g Tall FOWLR RIP
@Work RSM 130D w/LEDs
NSS/CDS-Full Cave Diver
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic