Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Well Hello!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Luv68tiger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luv68tiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Well Hello!
    Posted: April 27 2013 at 9:58pm
I've been hanging around this site since November '12 and joined the site in January so I guess I should introduce myself. Hello all, my name is Michelle. I have always wanted to have a saltwater tank and almost bought one about 8 years ago but, we ended up being more "responsible" with the money we had for it. Late last year a friend at work got a tiny biocube for his desk and the obsession took hold of me with both fins (yes, I'm aware I'm a dork). In December I bought a used 29 Oceanic Biocube. I love it! I have a hammer frogspawn and toadstool (?), galaxea, a small clown, a four stripe, two emerald crabs, snails and hermit crabs. I had a domino damsel too.Then I thought I needed a quarantine tank. I thought a 180-200 gallon tank would be a good size, lol. Suddenly the 29 was going to be the quarantine tank.
I let a few people know I was looking for a large tank and got a great offer early February. A 180 glass full setup stocked. It has 2 yellow tangs, a purple tang, 3 green chromas, a clown fish, a large lion fish, a large snowflake eel, 2 small blueish grey fish with yellow tails (?), a wrasse, 3 shrimp, snails, crabs, 3 sand sifting starfish, long tentacle anemone, mushrooms and a few corals.
A couple weeks in with the 180 I had a huge breakout of aiptasia, i got 2 medium file fish. I knew my new tank was an aggressive tank but didn't think the file fish would be eaten because they look so spikey and unappetizing... I was wrong. I then tried 2 peppermint shrimp. I should have known by the way the lion fish was looking at the bag while acclamation. Didn't last 5 minutes. :( I then found 2 large file fish, one is still alive the other one got hurt when the fish guy caught him and he didn't get better. There still are a few hard to reach aiptasia (some in the overflow going to the sump, don't know how to get them) but most are gone.
A couple weeks after that ciano bacteria reared its lovely head. Sherri bought a railway goby for me, she thought it was large enough to be safe, but it wasn't. I didn't even get to see it.
Now I'm dealing with green hair algae. I've been really watching my feeding and trying not to over feed. The lion fish and eel get so hungry I'm afraid they might eat another tank mate. I think I've decided to sale them or trade them in if I can. I removed one of my big live rocks to dry it out and kill the GHA, it is the one that has it the worst.
Well that's where I am right now. I really appreciate all the knowledge shared on this site. I hope someday to have gorgeous tanks like all of you. I plan to surround myself with all of you hoping some of your skill rubs off on me. Thanks for reading, see you soon.
~Michelle
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2013 at 8:02am

Aloha Michelle,

Two things:
Read the Reefkeeping Tips on how to eliminate a nuisance algae problem.
Go on the Reef Tour this coming Saturday, May 4.

Oh and if you would like some specific help on eliminating the hair algae while keeping your lionfish and eel, please create a new thread in the general help section and post a pic of your tank. I'll answer you there.

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2013 at 1:06pm
Welcome! Sounds like a nice battle! Lol be patient and work at it and the algae will go away with good maintenance procedures.
Luv68tiger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luv68tiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2013 at 8:19pm
Thank you Mark and Phys!
~Michelle
scubaparrot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scubaparrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2013 at 11:56am
Welcome! I have battled with aiptasia and hair algae as well. It can be a long road but you can beat it. Good luck.
griffith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote griffith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2013 at 10:15pm
Welcome to a great club!

Linn
Pay it forward...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic