Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How much water change is too much?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
griffith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote griffith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How much water change is too much?
    Posted: April 29 2013 at 10:22pm
I was doing 20% a water change tonight and moved a large rock, which has not been moved for many years - lots of black goo/water came out

An hour later the fish were in major distress - I did another 20% water change And changed the carbon

Should I do more or give it the night?

Linn

Pay it forward...
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2013 at 10:58pm
Due to an over dose on chemicals on my part I have changed almost 80% of my total volume of water and used tap water as i did not have that much R/O available. Idid not lose a fish or coral but it took a couple of weeks to make all happy again so if your levels are crazy high IMO go big . If you have a 100g system and do a 10g change params will only drop like 5% do a 50g change and you get a 50% drop . But thats just my experience.
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2013 at 11:06pm
Sounds like you're on the right track... You could add more carbon too. If your alk, cal, temp etc levels are pretty similar, you should be able to do a few water changes but do them a few hours apart. Replace the water slow also to help give a little time for acclimation.
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2013 at 11:08pm
Haha just fyi, I had a cat puke in my freshwater aquarium, I did a 50% water change, lots of carbon (like 2 cups), and vacuuming the bad stuff.. Nothing died. But saltwater is a bit more sensitive. I have done 50% water changes in salt water with no issues though.
jaschall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaschall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2013 at 6:38am
Have you checked for ammonia, nitrate, nitrite. Not to sure why there would be black goo in your rock. It gets me thinking that maybe some thing could have died in it some time ago. Do you recall anything gone missing, also how long had the tank be running. Maybe could be build up over years. As for a water change I would first confirm some test reading and see how bad it is. And then go from there. If there is a large ammonia spike I would see about getting some of your more sensitive corals into an other tank.
125 gallon reef
griffith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote griffith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2013 at 7:54am
Thanks everyone

Linn
Pay it forward...
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2013 at 9:00am
110% = to much.  The tank won't hold it.

One of our speakers told us he used to do 100% water changes on his nano all the time and his coral and fish loved it.  I think it was Anthony Calfo.

I had problems in a tank once with gas being released from the sandbed and did an 80% water change and nothing in the tank had problems.  The hard part is making sure the temp is at least close to the tanks temp.

Edited by Will Spencer - April 30 2013 at 9:02am
justchillinuno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justchillinuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2013 at 1:14pm
I personally have done multiple 35g water changes on my 55g when setting up my 36g tank... I used 100% live water from one to another, then did a 20g change from the 55g to the 36g a week later... Personally i do a 15-20 gallon water change every month in my 55g with no issues... happy fish, coral, and inverts!

55g - RIP - Moved to 90g
36g Bow holding tank
90g Reef Tank
Dreams of many more!
icenine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icenine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2013 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by Will Spencer Will Spencer wrote:

110% = to much.  The tank won't hold it.

One of our speakers told us he used to do 100% water changes on his nano all the time and his coral and fish loved it.  I think it was Anthony Calfo.

That would have been Calfo. I did and still do large scale water changes in my nano. So long as the params stay close its never a problem.
griffith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote griffith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2013 at 10:30pm
Thanks
Pay it forward...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic