Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bristle Worms

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ryanj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bristle Worms
    Posted: May 01 2005 at 1:31pm

Just a quick question, are bristle worms good or bad, or are there different types, good ones and bad ones.  I have heard people saying both, and I just read somewhere that they are bad and eat corals.  Obviously I have them in my tank, but I've never seen them eating corals, and I've never seen any damage to my corals.  I thought I read in Coral that they can be good, but they can reach plauge proportions, but anyways any knowledge about these guys would be good.

Ryan

faviasteve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote faviasteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2005 at 2:23pm

For the most part, they are very good.  The normal sized ones, as far as I know, are scavengers and not predators.  There are a few types of extra large ones that are coral predators but they are rare.  If you'd like to see a huge coral eating worm, check out this link- http://www.oregonreef.com/sub_worm.htm

Bristleworms will consume any animal that is dead or almost dead and partly rotting- fish, crabs, clams, maybe corals.  This is good so the dead animal doesn't pollute the water.  They have good "noses" and can smell food.  The bristleworms in my tank become excited by the food smell after I feed the fish but they're too afarid of the light to venture out during the day.  My clownfish occasionally try to eat one, but they always spit out the worm and look disgusted afterwards.

Steve Burton

Logan, Utah
ryanj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2005 at 2:36pm

Ok, that was gross.  Yeah, I don't have any of those, as far as I know, but ya never know I guess.  See that is the impression I had about bristleworms, hat they are good little scavangers.  They never come out during the day, but I like to check them out in the substrate. 

Hey since your name is faviasteve does that mean you have a lot of favias?  Do you have any you want to sell or trade?  I don't have any, and my wife and I have been wanting one for some time now.

Ryan

faviasteve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote faviasteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2005 at 2:56pm

My first coral (a few years ago) was a favia brain.  I fed it every night when it's feeding tentacles came out and I thought it was the most amazing thing I'd ever seen.  At about the same time, I discovered reefcentral and since most of the reef-related names were taken, I thought faviasteve was appropriate.  So I don't get confused, I've kept that original name on all the message boards.  The favia brain was sold 2 years ago when I moved and took down my tank.  I'm more SPSsteve now but I still love brain corals.  They are fun to feed.  I have a green platygyra brain now.

I can definitely get you a brain coral.  Email me at [email protected].  I know a guy who can order stuff .

Steve Burton

Logan, Utah
ryanj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2005 at 3:49pm
Cool, that's interesting about the whole brain coral feeding.  I will keep your email and let you know when am ready to get some.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2005 at 8:08am
BW's are our friends.
They are detritivores.
They are part of the cleanup crew.
The reason they become a so-called plague is because the tank is getting too much prepared food without housing the right kind of animals to eat the extra.
I've seen hundreds of home reef aquariums and can't remember once seeing a "coral eating BW" I've heard they exist, but they are probably one or two worms out of the family of 3000+ annelid worms.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
ryanj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2005 at 2:17pm

Mark, that was the exact impression I had of them and once I noticed them I was all excited to have them.  I just read on someone's post the other day saying they eat corals and being new I got scared.  BW's are the bomb.

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2005 at 3:51pm
The only problem I have with BW's is when I pick up a rock and squeeze a big one that was underneath so that it leaves its bristles in my finger. It irritates for a few hours.
ewaldsreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2005 at 10:40pm
I have a ton of them in my 10 gallon and I haven't seen any problems. When I say a ton I mean they are all over.
Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

Transam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Transam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2005 at 10:07pm
If anyone wants to get rid of thier worms i am your huckleberry. I love them and will take em all, nothing goes to waist in my tank.

Seth
Ogden

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others."

Groucho Marx
ewaldsreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2005 at 12:34am
I am not going to be at this meeting but I could bring some to the next one.
Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

bambbrose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bambbrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2005 at 3:09am
When I got my rock from the weimers it had tons of them inside.  I'm talking about one coming out of almost every hole, all tiny though.  I think they all came out because of the dead things from the transfer to my tank...

anyways, one day I was watching at night before I went to sleep (you know, when you zone out and just sit and stare) and this huge one comes crawling out.  It went from one hole in the rock into another.  Overall I measured it out to be about 6 inches in my head as it slithered along.  Now heres the crazy thing, I have only seen it one other time, yet its gotta still be in my rock.  Faviasteve saw it once I think when he was tending my rock before I had my stuff setup.  I wonder if he just lives in my rock and never comes out, maybe eats the little worms
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2005 at 10:43am
If you ever decide that you want to remove some just for fun or to make romm for the little ones or because you saw it chomping on coral, here is the easy way.

Buy bridal veil material at the fabric store. Wrap a piece of frozen meaty food or anything meaty in many loose wraps of bridal veil. Then tie it up with fishing line and drop it down near the BW's. When enough of them have wiggled into the material to get to the food, just pull it out with the long end of the fishing line. Works like a charm.
some1h8sme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote some1h8sme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2005 at 12:05am

I have heard arrow crabs like to eat BWs.  Anyone that can verify that?

John Grandjean

30 g sw 20 g sump

10 g nano sw

Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2005 at 8:26am

I have heard arrow crabs like to eat BWs.  Anyone that can verify that?

They do indeed.  They rip them apart and devour them.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Jared Wood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2005 at 8:54am
Arrow Crabs........  Cool!  
In the beginning, God created the heaven and the earth ... then He let it cycle.

Have you read my dinosaur theory yet?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic