Utah Reefs Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - back from vacat.house flooded...everything dead...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

back from vacat.house flooded...everything dead...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: back from vacat.house flooded...everything dead...
    Posted: July 24 2013 at 4:25pm
Be careful, that little tank is a seed and it will grow!

aceofspadeskb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aceofspadeskb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2013 at 4:14pm
Glad to see you landed on your feet!  Hobby on! Clap
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2013 at 4:09pm
 awesome.
A true blue hobbyist. Thumbs Up
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2013 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by improdigal improdigal wrote:

Thought you all might get a kick out of this.... until further notice our family fish tank will now be THIS

Just add salt! :)
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
improdigal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote improdigal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2013 at 2:12pm
Thought you all might get a kick out of this.... until further notice our family fish tank will now be THIS:

Ironically, this was the first tank I had on my desk 14 years ago that started my fish tank obsession... at my peak I had 7 tanks.... and now we're back full circle.
Patrick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote improdigal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2013 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by chris.rogers chris.rogers wrote:

Sorry to hear it, improdigal.

If I were you, I'd just hold on to as much stuff as you can in a closet - dry and dead - for the hopes of bringing it back up later.  I wished I would have done that with my last tank.

I've really sick of the buckets of live rock all over.  I had never considered just letting it die.  If you do that will anything ever come back on the rock later, or would it just be starting your rock over from scratch?

The tank isn't selling and I'm not sure I want it to, but the noise of the buckets of live rock cycling is driving me nuts.  Maybe I should sell half, keep half dead in a closet for 'some day'.
Patrick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote improdigal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2013 at 5:46pm
well... insurance adjuster came by today.  House is covered... everything in the house... is NOT.  EVERYthing... so, the kids beds, dressers, my tank lights that fried, all the dead fish and coral, all gone :-) lovely....

Apparently if your mom leaves you her house in the will, but it's still in the family trust name....  then the house is insured like a rental (even if you aren't paying rent).. so apparently we were supposed to get renters insurance all this time and had no clue.   Lol Clap HO HO LOL HE HE Pinch HA HA Wacko..... 
Censored!
Patrick
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2013 at 2:26pm
Just setup and auto water change system and then "you" don't even have to change the water, you just keep the mixed water bucket full. It really makes a slick setup and gives you tons of time to enjoy the tank and not worry about maintenance.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote improdigal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2013 at 2:00pm
Ironically, that's why I would rather not keep just 1 tank though... the volume the less work.  Unlike the average reefer, I actually loathe the maintenance, so I get obsessed and spend tons of money and time on elaborate designs that require as little maintenance as possible LOL... thus little cube, would look cute but then you HAVE to do regular water changes hehehe... when my last tank was established.. I changed my water... maybe every 6 months ha ha ha
Patrick
Boxerboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boxerboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2013 at 12:17pm
IF it were me id sell everything to help with the repairs and find a cheap biocube or something really small and simple thats not risky at all, but can be stocked rather cheaply and keeps the hobbyists flame burning. Then when the "someday" comes you can make a full scale comeback..
Just my 2¢ of what i would do...
Good Luck with everything!
120G's
Radion/T5 Combo
Vertex 150 Skimmer
Apex Controlled
SPS LPS & Softies
chris.rogers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2013 at 3:43pm
Sorry to hear it, improdigal.

If I were you, I'd just hold on to as much stuff as you can in a closet - dry and dead - for the hopes of bringing it back up later.  I wished I would have done that with my last tank.
Ils sont fous, ces Romains!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote improdigal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2013 at 12:29pm
Thanks guys... can use any good news... I'm sitting here as we speak contemplating the fact that it will probably be a long while before I recover from this financially.. which means I have no reason to keep 2-3 tanks full of water and rock :'(    

I think I'm just going to have to sell it all and hope I can come back someday Cry

There is no point in having an empty tank and even less reason to keep 200 lbs of live rock in a bucket with water and pump LOL...  plus this was my mother in law's house... so my wife and her brother are notably bummed about their childhood home and more than a little apprehensive about having tanks in here anymore... 

.... and all the same day I was excited to turn on my even cooler setup.... dang it..
Patrick
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2013 at 12:22pm
I agree with Mark

125g 90g 2x33g 34g
What stores do I recommend?
Up North: Bill ( Saltwater Paradise 801-317-8115 )
Down South: Jerry ( Reef On 801-563-0600 )

Member of GCFB
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2013 at 12:08pm
Thumbs Up
aceofspadeskb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aceofspadeskb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2013 at 7:30am
That is slick!  Thumbs Up

I definitely feel bad for what happened, but I hope you can take a little solace in the fact that some of us are learning *a lot* from your experience. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote improdigal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2013 at 10:01pm
Side side note for people looking for prevention tips, one of the other cool tips from the beananimal setup... on your gravity drain, instead of just leaving an open air hole on the back to prevent 'slurping' noise, run an airhose from the back air inlet into the drain just above where you want the water line:

What this does is, if the water line gets too high... the air line is plugged, and the line becomes a siphon drain rather than just a gravity drain and starts to PULL the water down at top speed.

The tank above is the refugium that caused the flood and by adding this during my testing outside, it not only repeatedly prevented further flooding, but after several alternating fill-ups, siphons, it actually seemed to clean out the plugged drain and then balanced out the gravity drain to keep up with the water flow rate again. 
Patrick
chuckfu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckfu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 8:39am
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

Then why not go with a sumpless tank? It's the absolute safest. Except for one tank,  for economic and space saving reasons, I've run sumpless on my last 6+ wonderful tanks. No floods, no damage, no upset wife, no worries mate.

By the way, I agree with Bryce.
Remember this though, for every hole drilled into the glass the risk of cracked glass either during the drilling or after it's set up, increases greatly.

There is still risk with any tank, but of course with a sumpless the risk is much less but things still happen.
Try, try, try, then give up!
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 8:01am
Then why not go with a sumpless tank? It's the absolute safest. Except for one tank,  for economic and space saving reasons, I've run sumpless on my last 6+ wonderful tanks. No floods, no damage, no upset wife, no worries mate.

By the way, I agree with Bryce.
Remember this though, for every hole drilled into the glass the risk of cracked glass either during the drilling or after it's set up, increases greatly.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote improdigal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 6:37am
Side side note, the refugium in question may be up for sale shortly, along with the stand you can see it sitting on sideways above. 

Despite having just finished the plumbing for my future 3 tank/2 pump/0 powerhead setup (that was to be plugged in the day I came home and found the flood),  my sweet wife has become understandably tired of fish tanks now and is wanting to reduce to 1 (I'm trying to negotiate to for 2 so I have some place for macro).   

Wish me luck... I suspect if I have to throw out all but the one tank, I may just toss them all (since I'm not sure how stable it will be with just a bio-ball sump).  I'd be starting over from scratch now anyway... 
Patrick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote improdigal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 6:29am
Yup, in the end I opted to get the 2nd drill, but not a 3rd (mostly because I couldn't run an emergency drain without a great deal more mess.

The screens and filters would be similar to how the drain was.  Those drains seem to work fine for lower water volume, but not for 12-2400 gph, which is how I tend to run things now.

Side note that I'm sure you'd all find humorous... I'm trying to save what I can of the refugium life now, that mostly being macro and live sand (or dead sand?), and I also didn't want to let my bioballs go dry... here is my current refugium/sump lifeboat... 

Wish I had set this up before all my fish were dead.... of course since it's outside... temperature control would probably have been a problem LOL

Patrick
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic