Utah Reefs Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - back from vacat.house flooded...everything dead...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

back from vacat.house flooded...everything dead...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2013 at 12:37pm
I really can't tell you how sorry I am for you. If there's anything any of us can do please let us know. Tank related or not I'm sure almost everyone here would be more than happy to help.
DanhNgo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanhNgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2013 at 12:40pm
Sorry man. did you had your ATO directly connect from your RO to your tank?
200 Gal Reef

25 Gal Nano Reef
Bryce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2013 at 12:45pm
Oh man that sucks! thanks for the detail, hopefully it will help others. I run a "herbie" which is just missing the 3rd "emergency" but I have not thought of any impact to the ATO if the 1st drain was clogged and and the 2nd drain was handling all the flow...since no water is escaping the system I would think it would be unaffected but when I tested that senario I do remember there was more fluctuation in the sump water level as the second drain could not build up a full syphon and would periodically flush more water at once in a repeated pattern...slow, slow, flush, slow, slow, flush..which may cause my ATO to keep kicking on. I know my Tunze ATO has some built in feature that it will turn itself off if it pumps for more than 5 or 10 minutes or something and then it has to be manually reset but this has me wanting to test it as I have never tested a fully clogged number 1 drain WITH the ATO installed...it was fine without it installed though. I think my ATO sensor/floats would go underwater pretty fast if extra water was entering my sump from the ATO due to the fluctuation in the sump water level and shut itself down but now I really want to test it. Good luck with the clean up, I hope this doesnt take you out of the hobby.

Edited by Bryce - May 06 2013 at 12:48pm
65g Reef
icenine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icenine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2013 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by Bryce Bryce wrote:

I know my Tunze ATO has some built in feature that it will turn itself off if it pumps for more than 5 or 10 minutes or something

The osmolator shuts off at ten minutes, one more thing that makes it worth the two hundred bucks.

Sorry to hear about the accident.

mermaidcamille View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mermaidcamille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2013 at 2:01pm
When Randy was at my house Saturday i was talking about my leak fiasco (nothing compared to this!)  and he mentioned how it was funny that disasters happen, but we keep coming back. 

I hope it doesn't take you out and when you are ready let us know and let us see what we can do to help replace what you lost.  I am sure many would be happy to help.

135g...D.E.A.D

Welcome bright and shiny 120!
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2013 at 2:22pm
I'm so sorry to hear about this.  For some reason crap always happens when you are out of town, no matter how short a vacation you take.  I've come home from vacation twice to all fish dead at the bottom of the tank and once to 100-200 gallons of water on the floor, all after 2 or 3 days out of town.  It sounds like you have a LOT more damage to the house than I've ever had though.  Good luck cleaning it up.  I you place can be salvaged without too much tear down and rebuilding.
love2skiutah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2013 at 3:29pm
Man, that sucks.  Sorry to hear about this.  I just bought the neptune leak detection module and probes because I flooded my sump last yet by not being lazy and not changing the sock out.  
improdigal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote improdigal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2013 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by DanhNgo DanhNgo wrote:

Sorry man. did you had your ATO directly connect from your RO to your tank?

Direct to my sump yea
Patrick
chuckfu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckfu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2013 at 4:44pm
You should contact your city and let them know you had a leak. Most cities wont bill you for the extra water charges if you let them know what happened.
Try, try, try, then give up!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote improdigal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2013 at 5:02pm
Ok so tonight or (preferably) tomorrow, I have to tear out all my tanks and clear my living room to tear out and replace all the hard wood.

Sooooo... Anyone that could lend extra powerheads for bins...and/or heaters ...any help would be much appreciated
Patrick
JohnnyHeavens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyHeavens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2013 at 7:38am
I have a couple small mag pumps and at least a heater. You good on bins? I have the below:

The cans have only been used for live rock or fish. Let me know what you could use and I'll get it up there to you.
@Home
300g System 150g-Cube Reef+60g Frag+WaterChange
150g Tall FOWLR RIP
@Work RSM 130D w/LEDs
txt anytime @ eightO1-seven5five-eighteen99
Scuba! PADI Pro DM/AI/TecDeep
NSS/CDS-Full Cave Diver

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote improdigal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2013 at 8:43am
Thanks Johnny, you are my hero, pm'ing...
Patrick
chris.rogers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2013 at 10:18am
Geez that sucks.  Ouch
Ils sont fous, ces Romains!
justchillinuno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justchillinuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2013 at 2:54pm
I have a crap load of heaters if you want them... im in Kearns!  PM ME
55g - RIP - Moved to 90g
36g Bow holding tank
90g Reef Tank
Dreams of many more!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote improdigal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2013 at 4:08pm
drying out and starting repairs

out goes the floor...

Oh and the bucket didn't save the survivors... 

RIP: Carwash, Dart, Kissy-Face(3 yr old purply tang), Poon (5 years old yellow tang), Reaper (10yr old serpent sea-star), and the blues brothers.

That leaves 2 clowns as the only remaining survivors of the apocalypse.  All corals, invertibrates, and probably rock .... d e a d... poop :(
Patrick
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2013 at 4:32pm
Ah man! That sucks! If you get another system going, I'll gladly donate a couple frags to help you get going again..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote improdigal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2013 at 5:49pm
Thanks phys
Patrick
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2013 at 4:36pm
Aloha Patrick,

So sorry for your huge loss. If you would like some tips on preventing that kind of thing in a simple way that won't require drilling more holes and having a bigger jumble of pipes, I'm available to give my sage advice. It's not difficult and it's not complicated and when people see it they go, "That makes so much sense."

Mark Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Jacknugget View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacknugget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2013 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

Aloha Patrick,

So sorry for your huge loss. If you would like some tips on preventing that kind of thing in a simple way that won't require drilling more holes and having a bigger jumble of pipes, I'm available to give my sage advice. It's not difficult and it's not complicated and when people see it they go, "That makes so much sense."

Mark Hug

Mark,
You're going to leave us hanging after that? You have my attention...
125 Mixed Reef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote improdigal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2013 at 5:40pm
Yea better hurry....I have 2 tanks in the back on their way to get 2 more hole each lol
Patrick
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic