Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My first tank... this year.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My first tank... this year.
    Posted: May 25 2014 at 11:06am
Originally posted by Reefer4Ever Reefer4Ever wrote:

Mark do you keep macro algae in your display? I have several types now in my refugium as I am striving to make that also a nice looking part of tank although its in the base cabinet. Can you put up some pics of your setup for me?
[speaking of macroalgae]...it is great fun to give [Tangs] a nice treat once a week or so.

I absolutely love Algae. I don't think of Algae as a treat, rather, I believe it is the mainstay of our animals. Even the carnivores benefit because the little bugs they love to eat use algae for food and for cover. As the growth Macroalgae disappears from being eaten by the Tangs and Rabbitfishes, I feed green leafy lettuce and Nori.

It's been a [long] while since I added pics of my current tanks to this thread. Some of these are underwater pics:

There are six tanks in my 200 gal coral farming system. These pics are from just two of them.

I suppose I really should add pics from a third and a fourth tank. Embarrassed

This shows the left hand side of the system taken in the evening. It's impossible to get pics that look good with the bright sunlight coming in the window  To me though, the most beautiful time is when the sun is shining in the window. It reminds me of the beautiful Hawaiian waters I love so much.

Aloha Hug

Edited by Mark Peterson - May 25 2014 at 11:48am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2013 at 11:01pm
Mahalo Linn.

Here is the pic of Chaeto I promised above. Each time it almost filled this tub.

griffith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote griffith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2013 at 8:46am
Good Stuff Mark

Linn
Pay it forward...
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2013 at 8:32am
How long should the Chaeto be left in the system?
Answer: Watch it's growth. That's the best advice I could give.

In this ~100 gal system set up the first week of May, the Chaeto doubled in size in about 4 weeks then doubled again during the next 3 weeks. I kept giving it away as it filled it's space. Then it doubled again! About 2 weeks ago I noticed that the Caulerpa growth stalled. That told me it was time to give away most of the Chaeto so the Caulerpa would not dissolve/die for lack of food. Some of it did die, but the dieing stopped when I gave away large portions of the Chaeto. Currently there is just a handful of Chaeto in the system.

During these first 10 weeks, the bacteria and "bug" populations in and on the sand and rock (~10% LS and ~40% LR from 3 member tanks) have continued to grow in the consistently good water conditions, where levels of N pollution were kept within range by growth of Chaetomorpha and the other various algae. Oh and if you are wondering, yes, brown diatom algae also grew and died back. The LS and LR biofiltration has grown and caught up to the waste production of the tank, to the point where Caulerpa and Cheato growth has slowed considerably in the last few weeks. Here is a pic of how much Chaeto I had to give away. Three times I gave away approximately that same amount.
Whoops, there is a server error in uploading pics. I'll upload it later and/or feel free to come over to see the system and talk reef. (Please note that this is a Coral and LR farming system, not a pretty display)
We are in Murray at 750 E Lakepoint Dr. #4V

Mahalo,
MarkHug
808-345-1049
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2013 at 8:39am
Around 2 months

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2013 at 8:06am
Aloha,

After ~45 days, this is how it had progressed.

With ~70 additional gallons

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2013 at 2:27pm

Day 10 pics
Diatom algae(brown) growth is just beginning. I was pleased to see 1/2 - 1" Caulerpa leaves growing from the fragments that almost died because of a thorough freshwater dip to eliminate flatworms from the tank they came from.
The red algae pictured earlier also has noticeable growth.

In no hurry to add fish, at day 13 we introduced a small Coral Beauty Angel. It immediately started eating diatom algae. The algae on the glass, which we leave alone to filter the water, prevents a good pic of the CB which seems fat and happy.

As of day 16 we have added:
- LW from 4 tanks;
- Macroalgae from 4 tanks;
- LR from 3 tanks; and
- LS from 4 tanks.

Edited by Mark Peterson - May 21 2013 at 2:29pm
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2013 at 9:40pm
Aloha,

How long for LBTR to be live enough to do biofiltration?
This statement kind of answers that. "Within a few months that rock was indistinguishable from the ocean LR next to it." But that is a very subjective statement I made. Have you noticed that there is a big difference in LR from the ocean. "cured" vs non-cured, cultured vs. real reef rock, Florida vs. Tongan vs Fijian, etc., etc, etc.... Smile

Yes, I'm back, (unfortunately) Feel free to visit.

Mechanical and chemical filtration?
Only AC is needed 1-2 wks/mo, a bag of which will be placed near the powerhead. Can't see the powerhead? That's one of the beauties of this setup. Smile

Any risks removing the top brace?
The purpose of the plastic frame around the top perimeter of these glass tanks is to protect the edges from damage and stress during moving. (some people hang on to that frame when lifting a tank, but they shouldn't). It does not need the frame to hold it together.
On the other hand, the bottom frame is great for allowing minimal support so the entire glass bottom does not need to be set on a very flat surface. It might surprise you that the stand is only supporting the front and back edges of the bottom plastic frame. No support under the sides.

chuckfu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckfu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2013 at 7:52pm
What do you use for mechanical and chemical filtration? Any risks removing the top brace?
Try, try, try, then give up!
Larobley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larobley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2013 at 7:13pm
very nice i will be watching the progress.
76G half circle
JBJ 12G
TSUNAMI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TSUNAMI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2013 at 6:26pm
Looking good buddy. Are you back in town?
135 Reef Vortech mp40w & mp60
40 SPS w Maxspect-Ps & MP10w
220 Build in progress :)
rize2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rize2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2013 at 10:05am
By fully live I just meant how long until it provides the same level of filtration that live rock from the ocean would?
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2013 at 9:23am
Aloha,

Any terrestrial rock can be used. Smile
Of course only a few types of rock are really beneficial because of their porosity and nice shapes. I'd say that So. Utah sandstone is marginally acceptable, but the sand particles are partially cemented with calcium carbonate so that's a good thing. My wife is from So. Utah so she appreciates the sandstone. We have used it before. It becomes "live" with algae and bugs.

I'm not sure what you mean by "fully live". Perhaps I should explain. LBTR and other terrestrial rock like this sandstone is washed with a high pressure sprayer until it is clean and sterile. In that condition, within just the first day marine bacteria begin colonization. When LBTR is placed in an established reef tank, bugs and worms migrate to it within a few days. The Reefkeeping Tips link in my signature bar below shows pics of LBTR after a year. Within a few months that rock was indistinguishable from the ocean LR next to it.

This tank wasn't ready for the Reef Tour, but everyone is welcome to come visit and "talk fish". Big smile
We are in Murray at the Stillwater Apartments across from the Murray Cemetery. As you drive in to the complex, the tank is almost immediatly visible on the left in bldg. 750, second floor, SW corner apartment #4V. Please feel free to call me at 808-345-1049. I'm happy to share.

Mark Hug
rize2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rize2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2013 at 7:22pm
I like the aqua scape! I didn't know you could use red sandstone. How long does it take to become fully live?
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2013 at 7:19pm
According to Dana Riddle, the Maxijet 1200 stream pump pushes 1200 gph. That's 30x water turnover in this 40 gal tank! The vertical stream causes wave action around the edge of the tank. It still amazes and pleases me how this happens.

Utah LBTR on the left and Southern Utah red sandstone rock on the right. Window screens removed to access the full mid-day sun. This pic was taken at 7PM so only indirect sunlight. Ordinary fluorescent shoplight fixture for supplemental light from an aquarium grow light and an actinic light.

First coral (Mahalo to Builderofdreams) is a frag of green Sinularia (formerly Nepthea). This 2 branch frag was placed in a hole on the upside of the LBTR and in the morning was poking out of two holes on the other side of the rock. LBTR is awesome.

First red algae (Mahalo to Griffith)

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2013 at 8:06am
j/k  Smile This is also the first tank I have ever shown in the tank build section. A few of my other tanks are here:
http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=37523

The details:
1. 40 gal breeder (36x18x18) bought at Petco at their half price sale
2. Removed the top plastic rim
3. Stand is built from a kids bed headboard and footboard we found in the dumpster! (matching pieces exactly 36" long Thumbs Up and with no board under the tank the tank bottom glass was spray painted black)
4. Washed 4 gals of Utah Oolitic Sand and added several pieces of prime Utah Rock, including Southern Utah sandstone pieces.
5. Found a 50 gal bag of salt at Fish4You marked down to $12 (woohoo!)
6. A Maxijet 1200 Mod sits in the sand at the bottom center shooting straight up (awesome wave action & turbulence Smile (pic later))

Edited by Mark Peterson - May 14 2013 at 9:26am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic