Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Happy birthday to me!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rize2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rize2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Happy birthday to me!
    Posted: May 09 2013 at 4:53pm
I was given a DSLR today as an early birthday present! Now I'm just trying to figure out how to use it. Does anyone have any tips on how to shoot nice aquarium pics?

I took a bunch of pics of the tank today and this is the only one that came out decent

DMower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2013 at 4:54pm
Where do you live?
150 gal reef with 50 gal sump. Reef Octopus DCS-200 Skimmer. AI Sol Blues.
rize2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rize2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2013 at 5:09pm
I'm in Midvale. I forgot to mention the camera is a Nikon D3100 with the stock lens. It is a 18-55mm lens
DMower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2013 at 5:12pm
Come by tonight for a photo lesson and some free corals if you want. Kaysville though.
150 gal reef with 50 gal sump. Reef Octopus DCS-200 Skimmer. AI Sol Blues.
icenine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icenine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2013 at 8:07pm
Nice camera!

A few general Tips:

Clean your glass, inside and out.
Use a tripod or some other sturdy support
Turn off all you pumps while shooting
Soot parallel to the glass (straight on)

The macro preset on your camera is a good place to start out of the box if you're not experienced with the manual settings on your camera. Also, read the manual for your camera and start experimenting. You can do quite a bit with the kit you have. 

When you're interested I have a top down box I can let you borrow. 

rize2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rize2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2013 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by icenine icenine wrote:

Nice camera!

A few general Tips:

Clean your glass, inside and out.
Use a tripod or some other sturdy support
Turn off all you pumps while shooting
Soot parallel to the glass (straight on)

The macro preset on your camera is a good place to start out of the box if you're not experienced with the manual settings on your camera. Also, read the manual for your camera and start experimenting. You can do quite a bit with the kit you have. 

When you're interested I have a top down box I can let you borrow. 

Cool thanks! My next purchase is going to be a tripod, it didn't take long to figure out that one would be very useful. Any recommendations? I like the Manfrotto MKC-PF, but thats just cuz it looks cool.
rize2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rize2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2013 at 11:40am
I got some more good ones! And holy cow I love RAW!! I added them to my tank thread.

Edited by rize2 - May 10 2013 at 12:42pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic