Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Clownfish fighting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
chuckfu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckfu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clownfish fighting
    Posted: May 11 2013 at 8:28am
I'm sure this has been answered before but my searching on the net didnt land the answers I was looking for. I bought my two as a pair. Never fought got along fantastic. Well they decided they wanted to start hosting in the anemone. At first what I thought was the female would not leave the anemone and not let the male in. When he would try they would fight and then he would leave. Now they have traded places in the anemone and the fighting is much worse. The male ( I think, slightly smaller ) does not leave the female alone and chases her everywhere until she gives up and just stays in the corner. Is this normal, how long does it last? Is it possible the smaller one has turned female also and now I have a queen of the tank kinda thing going on? Thanks for the help. I love this pair and really want to keep them together if possible.
Try, try, try, then give up!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 8:59am
This is normal. Of the 9 young Tomato clowns I got from www.seabase.net in Grantsville, UT and put in my tank long ago(~1997), two fought so hard that the males jaw was ripped partially off. Within about 6 months those two fish mated and spawned. The result I believe was the first captive bred and raised clownfish in Utah. Big smile

One thing that could temporarily help, but may only delay the lovers quarreling is to place the male in time out. A time out box (acclimation box) can be made from a clear quart deli salad container with Bridal Veil material held over the top with an elastic. Place a small rock and some macroalgae in the container for weight and cover. Keep the container far enough away from the anemone that the female starts to go in and feel comfortable, then after a few days, release the male. Make sure the male Also learn about fish training in the Reefkeeping Tips. It really works. Smile

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic