Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Coral Beauty on the floor of the tank

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2013 at 2:26pm
Sorry about all the problems you're having.. Many of us have had them when we started also. Live rock is essential in providing the grounds for a proper biological filter unless you have a high end setup that has tons of components to help clean the water and filter it. It looks like a 29 gallon? You'll need to look at minimum tank size for certain fish in the future. Some may not do well in smaller systems. Also, add more crabs and snails. As you'll see with a lot of people, you need at least one cleaner crew member per gallon. Your sand sifting star fish may not have enough stuff in the sand to survive long. They should be put into established tanks so they have plenty to feed on. And finally, whoever told you that you only need testing supplies if there's something wrong lied to you. They will be essential later on to make sure your calcium, alk, etc are all within proper levels. Otherwise, you'll just come across more issues later.
builderofdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2013 at 2:34pm
I have 2 simple questions.
1-what are you using for filtration and media?
2- are there powerheads in this tank.
It's Not a Hobby It's an Obsession
150&210 Gallons of Madness and. Sanity! 801-850-4915

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65135&title=builderofdreams-feedback-post
lovecraftinbrooklyn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovecraftinbrooklyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2013 at 2:38pm
The tank is actually a 35 gallon. All of the fish that I have bought so far were sold to me with the understanding that they would be comfortable in a 35 gallon tank. I'm planning on adding more rock in the next few days, but how much should I add? The guy that sold me the bali starfish told me it was a chocolate chip, but he seems to be eating the frozen krill that I have been giving him. I've been trying to do more research on them, but information is hard to find.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovecraftinbrooklyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2013 at 2:43pm
I have two top fin 20 gallon filters and each of them has a tetra whisper filter (size large) in it. I don't have any power heads at the moment, but I'm planning on buying one. I've just been leaving enough room between the filters and the water's surface to provide agitation. I also just ordered a counter current protein skimmer. 
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2013 at 2:52pm
Ok.. So there's one issue here... The topfin filters can actually add problems if you don't clean them out at least every other day. They'll be a trap to create problems. I would get rid of them. Definitely add power heads and point them how mark specified. You'll need about 30 lbs of live rock. You may get away with less but you'll have to make sure they have plenty of flow over them. The chocolate chip star fish should be ok especially if its eating the food you give it. They may not be reef save though, so be sure to watch corals you add in the future. The skimmer is another good step.
mermaidcamille View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mermaidcamille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2013 at 3:00pm
Oh Amanda!  I am so sorry!

Try not to be too frustrated because many of us have been there done that.  My first tank was an established tank I purchased from someone and it only took me a month to kill everything.  Now, I have a much bigger tank and life is good.

I would agree more rock. A lot more.

Get a powerhead ASAP.  Water movement is crucial.

Do you have a pic of  your starfish.  If it is a chocolate chip starfish you won't want to keep it once you have corals if you are planning on it.  (been there done that too.)

Also down the line start out with some cheap damsels or chromises, the pretty fish are tempting, but an expensive lesson.

Thanks for giving us a chance to help you.

Camille

Edited by mermaidcamille - May 12 2013 at 3:10pm
135g...D.E.A.D

Welcome bright and shiny 120!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovecraftinbrooklyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2013 at 3:16pm
Are there any filters that you would recommend?
I'm really kicking myself for going for the nicer fish. It's just that I read somewhere that clowns have a lot of personality and my boyfriend was really fond of the saddlebacks. The whole family is pretty torn up over them dying.

Edited by lovecraftinbrooklyn - May 12 2013 at 3:17pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mermaidcamille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2013 at 3:22pm
It WILL get better.  Promise.
135g...D.E.A.D

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovecraftinbrooklyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2013 at 3:26pm
Thanks for all of the help, I really appreciate it. Before finding this site, I was relying solely on the information given to me by pet stores, which now seems highly inadequate. So thanks to all of you, you've been a great help. :)
tfmreefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfmreefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2013 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by lovecraftinbrooklyn lovecraftinbrooklyn wrote:

specific gravity-1.023
temperature- 76F
nitrate-0
nitrite- 0.5
alkalinity- 300kh
ph- 7.8

His breathing was normal when I first noticed his behavior, but now its getting heavy. He also keeps swimming up to the top of the tank and poking his face through the surface. Other than the way that he's acting he appears to be fine.

So I haven't read through all of the comments, but one thing from hearing this is I think There is some stray power or voltage going through your tank. Inverts are very sensitive to this. When It happened to me, I lost a cleaner shrimp and a chocolate chip star. Alot of my fish were hiding and my lion fish and 2 of my tangs were hovering at the top of the tank poking their heads out a tiny bit, and all my other tangs, angel, and fish were hiding through my rock work.. This sound Exactly like what you said, so I strongly recommend you check for stray voltage. If you stick your hand in the tank, can you feel a tiny shock?? Even if you cant, it can still be there. Hope this helps, Good luck!
-Tanner
"The early bird might get the worm, but only the second mouse gets the cheese."

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mermaidcamille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2013 at 3:39pm

Thanks for all of the help, I really appreciate it. Before finding this site, I was relying solely on the information given to me by pet stores, which now seems highly inadequate. So thanks to all of you, you've been a great help. :)

It can be, but not always. I think sometimes you can just get a careless sales person or someone that just knows so much they overlook the simple things beginners don't know.  But there are some awesome LFS out there for sure.  This site was my lifesaver (still is.)  The people here are awesome.

I am waiting for someone to chime in on the starfish.  It looks different from the chocolate starfish I have seen, but similar.

Do you ever come south by chance? 

There are people here much smarter than me but I would say your next step is to buy nothing new, get a powerhead, and get some more live rock (or dry rock and let the other rock seed it.)  After that I would reconsider the filter system.  I did something similar in the beginning and it prevented me from getting my tank to where I wanted it.
135g...D.E.A.D

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mermaidcamille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2013 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by tfmreefs tfmreefs wrote:

specific gravity-1.023
temperature- 76F
nitrate-0
nitrite- 0.5
alkalinity- 300kh
ph- 7.8

His breathing was normal when I first noticed his behavior, but now its getting heavy. He also keeps swimming up to the top of the tank and poking his face through the surface. Other than the way that he's acting he appears to be fine.

So I haven't read through all of the comments, but one thing from hearing this is I think There is some stray power or voltage going through your tank. Inverts are very sensitive to this. When It happened to me, I lost a cleaner shrimp and a chocolate chip star. Alot of my fish were hiding and my lion fish and 2 of my tangs were hovering at the top of the tank poking their heads out a tiny bit, and all my other tangs, angel, and fish were hiding through my rock work.. This sound Exactly like what you said, so I strongly recommend you check for stray voltage. If you stick your hand in the tank, can you feel a tiny shock?? Even if you cant, it can still be there. Hope this helps, Good luck!
-Tanner

Amanda, this can be a problem, but don't worry about voltage in your tank right now.  You have other things that are more obvious before considering this as a potential issue.
135g...D.E.A.D

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovecraftinbrooklyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2013 at 4:03pm
I actually go to school out in Draper, so I'm down in that area about twice a week. I'm searching ksl for some new rock at the moment. I was also considering Mark's method of finding and cleaning my own. But if I can find some locally that's cheap, I'll probably go that route.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2013 at 4:11pm

I'm hearing that more and more lately. I'm just frustrated with the guy who set me up with the rock because he told be that it wasn't really that necessary, just as long as I had a couple of pieces. ::sigh:: Live and learn I guess. 
He wasn't trying to mislead you, well not exactly. When the sand has a lot of life in it, the tank can get away with less LR. He may not have expected that many expensive fish to be added so soon. Have you started reading in the Secrets of an Affordable Reef Aquarium thread about setting up a tank with as much of the four live parts as possible?
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovecraftinbrooklyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2013 at 4:27pm
Yes, I've read through it and started on the advice links that you provided below. It's been really helpful. Thanks Mark. 

Edited by lovecraftinbrooklyn - May 12 2013 at 4:31pm
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2013 at 4:46pm
I'm located right by you (just over in South Weber), and I'm more than happy to stop by or have you come by to check out my setups.

I'm not sure on the exact species of starfish, but it does appear to be a Protoreastor sp., which is the same as the standard "chocolate chip" starfish. They are opportunistic omnivores and have been known to feed on coral and other inverts...including other starfish. However, I've had several over the last year in my sump with various coral and inverts (including multiple starfish) with no issues. I just target feed them meaty foods.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovecraftinbrooklyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2013 at 5:10pm
I'd love to come see your setup. I've also been target feeding this starfish. He seems to really like frozen krill. Do you think it would be a good idea to add a couple of frags to see if the starfish would eat them? Also, I have a fair amount of red algae in the sandbed. I was told that the red algae implies that your nitrates are high, would you recommend cleaning some of it? 
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2013 at 5:24pm
Keep checking the forum for LR. There are some there often. As for filters, other than people running a sock filter in their sump, they don't use one. Water changes and your inverts are good enough to clean the water. You can also vacuum your sand bed and blow detritus off your rocks once a month to help clear off some junk.
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2013 at 11:14pm

I'd love to come see your setup. I've also been target feeding this starfish. He seems to really like frozen krill. Do you think it would be a good idea to add a couple of frags to see if the starfish would eat them? Also, I have a fair amount of red algae in the sandbed. I was told that the red algae implies that your nitrates are high, would you recommend cleaning some of it? 

You probably have cyano(red algae) you should add a powerhead positioned like Mark said that will help with that as well.
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic