Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Coral Beauty on the floor of the tank

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
lovecraftinbrooklyn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovecraftinbrooklyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Coral Beauty on the floor of the tank
    Posted: May 11 2013 at 10:23am
I bought a decorator crab the other day and found him dead in the tank this morning. After I removed him, my coral beauty started acting weird. He is now laying on his side at the back of the tank, in addition, all of my other fish are now hiding in the live rock. I've checked my water salinity and parameters and everything seems normal. Does anyone have any ideas as to why my fish are acting so strangely?
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 10:32am
Please post your parameters. Is your fish breathing heavily? Any sign of infection or parasite?
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovecraftinbrooklyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 10:50am
specific gravity-1.023
temperature- 76F
nitrate-0
nitrite- 0.5
alkalinity- 300kh
ph- 7.8

His breathing was normal when I first noticed his behavior, but now its getting heavy. He also keeps swimming up to the top of the tank and poking his face through the surface. Other than the way that he's acting he appears to be fine.
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 11:24am
Are all you pumps working? Is there enough water agitation for oxygenation?
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 11:27am
What's your ammonia? You have nitrite...so your ammonia may be high.
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovecraftinbrooklyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 11:42am
All of my equipment is working. I spoke with a guy at Aquatic Dreams and he's pretty sure the fish have a bacterial infection. I've upped the temp and added garlic and Vitamin C. 
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 11:50am
Why a bacterial infection? If anything, I'd guess Crytocaryon irritans (marine ich) or Amyloodinium (marine velvet) infestation in the gills based on the breathing. What evidence is there of a bacterial infection? If you've upped the temp and it's ich/velvet, you're actually speeding up the life cycle of the pests.    

Again...what's your ammonia?
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovecraftinbrooklyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 12:16pm
Sorry, I missed the bit about the ammonia, its reading 0. He said that coral beauties are especially sensitive to bacterial infections and said that raising the temp might kill the bacteria. Other than that, he said that the fish might be reacting to nitrates from the dead crab.
Dan9554880 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan9554880 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 12:34pm
Probably nitrates from the crab but it sounds like it can't breath maybe there is not enough oxygen for him? Or it maybe just stress out
210 Mixed Reef
20 Nuvo nano reef
Learn your tank, not the hobby
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 1:05pm
If nitrites are at 0.5, then that means you recently had ammonia...and may still have some undetectable (it takes ammonia to get nitrite). Your crab could've spiked the ammonia and nitrite, which might be one issue. However, you said your nitrates are 0...so that wouldn't have killed the crab unless your test kit is bad.

I've never heard of coral beauty angels being more susceptible to bacterial infections. If there was a bacterial infection (internal or external), you would see redness and/or streaks along the body/fins. Certain bacterial infections can also cause some external white growths, but that's not typical. Even if it is a bacterial infection, if the fish is gasping, that means it has hit its gills.

I'm betting it's a parasitic infestation...or a bad test kit that shows your levels are lower than actual. Either way, garlic and vitamin C aren't likely to help.    

Do you have a photo of the fish?

Edited by ReefdUp - May 11 2013 at 1:06pm
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovecraftinbrooklyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 2:18pm
I did a water change about an hour ago, the coral beauty was moving around quite a bit during the water change, but he's back on the bottom now. Its not a very good picture, but here he is.
it's not the best picture, but here he is.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovecraftinbrooklyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 3:15pm
He didn't make it and now one of my clowns is acting the same. :(
Nails12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nails12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 4:27pm
Could be a bad batch of salt. Move them to a different tank with completely different water if you can. Goodluck. 
This is more than a hobby; its a lifestyle.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovecraftinbrooklyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 5:35pm
Unfortunately, I do not have an additional tank that I could keep them in. Earlier, someone suggested that I add an airstone to increase oxygen. My clown is swimming around a little, but he didn't eat and he looks pretty bad. 
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 7:57pm
Aloha Amanda,

1. May we see a pic of the entire tank(not the stand, just the tank)?

2. How long has the tank been running?

3. The pH is low. Tell us about the water circulation. It can be improved by placing powerheads at the bottom pointing up to the water surface. pH will then increase to above 8.0 Is there a cover on the tank? If so, remove the lid/cover to allow air to better reach the water which will also help raise pH.

Alkalinity of "300kh" does not make sense to me. Can you look at it again?
The three ways to read alkalinity are
dKH: range 8-14
meq/l:   3-5
ppm:   150-250
It may not be that important right now but can you tell us the Calcium level?

The death of a new crab and then fish are not related and yet they are related.
That tank needs to made more conducive to good health which will address the root cause rather than just treat the symptoms. "An ounce of prevention is worth more than a pound of cure." We can help you modify the set up so that everything stays alive from here onward.

Mahalo,
Mark Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovecraftinbrooklyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 8:27pm
I've done 3 water changes today in hopes of saving my fish. My filefish is on his way out and the last clown is in pretty bad shape. The tank's been running for about 3 months now and I haven't had any problems until now. I measured the alkalinity with a colored test strip, it says that it measures in KH and that 300 was in the ideal range. I haven't actually checked the calcium yet, I was told not to buy the test kit unless something suggested that I needed to adjust the calcium levels.

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2013 at 8:05am
Okay thanks for that info.

The two pics and knowing that it is only 3 months old tells me a lot.
Three months is a very short amount of time and based on the look of the sand and rock I can see in the pics, it's not surprising that the tank is having problems. Be patient. It will get better.

Is the clownfish the last of the fish?
What else is living in the tank?
Did the pH go up after the addition of the bubble wand? What is the current reading?
What brand is the KH test kit? I need to look it up online. (3 water changes assures me that your Alk and Ca are fine for now so there is no need for further testing at this time.)

The death of the crab was not the direct cause, just a part of it. It has to do with the tanks young age and the living/nonliving components used in setup. Take a look at the Reefkeeping Tips thread linked below and see how a tank can be set up with more live stuff from other tanks to help it do better. It's not too late for this tank. We are a community that can help. Recently I got some LS, LR, Macroalgae and LW from three experienced hobbyists to help my new tank have a better start. I'm sorry for your losses but don't be discouraged. I can tell you that we have all gone through this as we learned better ways to keep our tanks. Use it as a learning experience and keep coming here with questions. Smile

Aloha,
Mark Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovecraftinbrooklyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2013 at 11:16am
The ph is now reading at 8.0, the brand is Tetra.
I was told to let the tank cycle with live rock and live substrate for two weeks before adding anything. After that, I added some crabs and that was all I put in for the first month. After that, I slowly started introducing my fish, waiting two weeks before adding another.
Unfortunately, none of my fish made it. My last clown held out until this morning, now all I have left are my inverts. With the exception of the decorator, none of them have even seemed phased. In total, I have 2 turbo snails, 3 red legged Cortez crabs, and 1 bali starfish.
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2013 at 1:31pm
It doesn't look like you have a lot of live rock in there, if you can find someone selling some it would probably benefit you to add some more. That many fish and that little amount of live rock could have started the issue.
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovecraftinbrooklyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2013 at 1:40pm
I'm hearing that more and more lately. I'm just frustrated with the guy who set me up with the rock because he told be that it wasn't really that necessary, just as long as I had a couple of pieces. ::sigh:: Live and learn I guess. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic