Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Melanurus Wrasse in hiding

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Bryce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Melanurus Wrasse in hiding
    Posted: May 18 2013 at 10:20pm
If you saw it i would not worry at all, just give it time. While I do not think this will be the case with a wrasse, I have a goby that I have had for about a year and I have seen him maybe 10 times, in fact I was sure he was dead for months and then I moved tanks and there he was after I took all the rock out . Give it time, soon that wrasse will own that tank as most do.
65g Reef
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2013 at 9:24pm
Think it's coming out to eat when no one's around, and it's just good at hiding?
aceofspadeskb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aceofspadeskb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2013 at 8:24pm
Had a wrasse sighting. It came out long enough to be seen. Then it went right back into the sand. At least I know it's alive.

Yes I am monitoring ammonia and nitrite nightly for spikes.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2013 at 5:08pm
"So many opinions in this hobby..."

Aloha Kelley,

One of the conundrums for newbies in this hobby is determining who to trust. We are all mixed together here with scant knowledge of our individual experience level so let me just say, the procedure above works great for me but is not the only one that works for transferring a fish into good quality water as quickly as possible.
Handling the fish is certainly not necessary but I like it because it gives me a rare opportunity to hold my pet in my [clean] hands. Also, nets damage fish scales, can get caught on gill cover hooks and can get hooked on dorsal spines. Still, I use nets when necessary. Embarrassed

Mahalo,
Mark Hug

P.S. I agree with Dan.

Edited by Mark Peterson - May 18 2013 at 5:10pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Dan9554880 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan9554880 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2013 at 1:53pm
I would start to search in the sand. A few places at the time and not all at once. Besides that there is really nothing else you can do. Have you tested your water for any spike?
210 Mixed Reef
20 Nuvo nano reef
Learn your tank, not the hobby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aceofspadeskb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2013 at 11:05am
So many opinions in this hobby...

Back to relevant information, does anyone have any tips at this point?
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2013 at 8:17am
Actually there is no need to float the bag. Here is a quick recap of that Reefkeeping Tip:

1. Gently pour the water and fish iout of the bag nto a clean container.
2. Add a cup of water from the tank every 2-3 minutes.
3. When the amount of water in the container has doubled, place your cupped hand in and slowly lift the fish out. Place your other hand over the fish so it doesn't flip and slowly set it into the tank.
4. Pause for a few moments while the fish gets oriented and swims out of your hand.
This takes about 15 minutes.

Caution: If the fish has been in the bag for more than 2 hours, the water quality in the bag is very crappy with Urea(fish waste). The moment the bag is opened, the water is exposed to good air and the Urea changes to Ammonia. Scoop that fish out of there and into the tank immediately before the Ammonia burns it's gills.
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2013 at 10:23pm
+1 to the above! I only float for 10 min
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Dan9554880 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan9554880 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2013 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by aceofspadeskb aceofspadeskb wrote:

Given that I don't have an acclimation box, this was the next best method(at least I'm told).  I let the fish float in the bag in the top of the aquarium for 40 minutes(to match temperature).  Then I found a dark colored opaque pitcher and gently dumped the fish and his water into it.  Then using an airline with a valve on the end I slowly dripped water from the tank into the pitcher(it took about an hour and 10 minutes to fill the gallon pitcher).  At that point I dumped the water/fish through a fish net into a 5 gallon bucket, thus catching the fish in the net, but not the water.  Then the fish went into the tank(and under the sand).

That is way too long of acclimation for my opinion. I normally just drip my fish for 30-40 minutes and catch.
Also you float it for 40minutes!!! I wouldn't do that because it cause over stress and unless it was shipped the water on the bag would not get too cold. I would float for 5-10 minutes max
210 Mixed Reef
20 Nuvo nano reef
Learn your tank, not the hobby
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2013 at 6:22pm
 Ouch The Wrasse was in that little bit of water and it's own waste for almost two hours. I won't go into the details of how ammonia damages gills but the Reefkeeping Tip titled "Secrets of adding new fish...." gives a better way.

Aloha,
Mark Hug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aceofspadeskb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2013 at 2:52pm
Given that I don't have an acclimation box, this was the next best method(at least I'm told).  I let the fish float in the bag in the top of the aquarium for 40 minutes(to match temperature).  Then I found a dark colored opaque pitcher and gently dumped the fish and his water into it.  Then using an airline with a valve on the end I slowly dripped water from the tank into the pitcher(it took about an hour and 10 minutes to fill the gallon pitcher).  At that point I dumped the water/fish through a fish net into a 5 gallon bucket, thus catching the fish in the net, but not the water.  Then the fish went into the tank(and under the sand).
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2013 at 2:31pm
Aloha,

Wrasses can go unseen for more than a week.

I'm curious about the "thorough drip acclimation process" you mentioned. This may have something to do with the hiding Wrasse. Would you mind explaining your process of introducing a new fish?

Mahalo,
Mark Hug
DMower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2013 at 1:47pm
Zero chance in my opinion .
150 gal reef with 50 gal sump. Reef Octopus DCS-200 Skimmer. AI Sol Blues.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aceofspadeskb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2013 at 1:37pm
New developments... one of my blue-green chromis is now gone.  Can't find him anywhere.  What are the odds that the wrasse finally got hungry enough to come out of hiding and took the chromis out?

Other relevant information:  I have a tight fitting mesh top from BRS on top of the tank.  It also fits tight over the overflow box so I don't think the chromis could have jumped.
Bryce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2013 at 1:50pm
Well if the purpose is just to determine if its still alive you can poke around the sand bed but be ready to jump when he pops out (assuming he is alive but Im sure he is) as it can be pretty startling so watch your head and where your arms will jerk back in the tank.... but this may make him hide for longer.
65g Reef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aceofspadeskb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2013 at 1:47pm
Still a no show... if he doesn't show up by tomorrow(4 days), what do I do?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aceofspadeskb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2013 at 2:42pm
Sounds like all things are normal.  Thanks!
Bryce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2013 at 2:38pm
My CUC has a 6th sence and is only out at night after he goes to sleep. Guess those little hermit crab eyes can actually see but how do the snails know? creepy

Edited by Bryce - May 14 2013 at 2:49pm
65g Reef
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2013 at 2:29pm
Mine hid for two days and now I wish he would hide himself instead of picking at my CUC. :)
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2013 at 1:16pm
Mine hid for 4 days before I saw it again. I wouldn't worry until about day 4-5. If after a week it doesn't show up you could try sifting the sand in the area it went in.

Edited by Ann_A - May 14 2013 at 1:16pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic