Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

help tank is at 83+

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
justchillinuno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justchillinuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: help tank is at 83+
    Posted: May 14 2013 at 8:56pm
Came home and found my thermostat in house at 85! My tank is reading 83.2 and is normally 76.1. I put gallon ziplocks of ice floating in the top, 2 of them in my 55g. Best way to keep a tank cool suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Justin
55g - RIP - Moved to 90g
36g Bow holding tank
90g Reef Tank
Dreams of many more!
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2013 at 9:03pm
Lower the temperature in the house back to normal and the tank will cool off. I wouldn't do much more than that because you could cause more damage by lowering the temperature too fast. Just my thought on this...
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2013 at 9:04pm
Open a window and turn on a fan blowing at the tank. Keep floating the ice bags but cool it slowly. Only about 1 degree per hour so you don't shock them with the quick drop. 83 is still bearable even though it's on the high side.

Take it slow and don't try and take it to fast.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2013 at 9:10pm
A fan pointed at the surface of the water agitating the water will drop it

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justchillinuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2013 at 9:29pm
Thanks for the tips on not cooling to fast.. house is down to 75 and tank 80.2. It's got a hang on back refugium and water agitates well, and I'm putting fans on it. Does anyone have suggestions on chillers... They worth it?
55g - RIP - Moved to 90g
36g Bow holding tank
90g Reef Tank
Dreams of many more!
DMower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2013 at 9:33pm
80 is fine.   I would really stop trying to cool the tank and let it return to whatever is "normal" for it slowly on it's own.  Chillers are expensive and they work.  Are they usually necessary, no.  Can they be necessary, yes.  
150 gal reef with 50 gal sump. Reef Octopus DCS-200 Skimmer. AI Sol Blues.
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2013 at 9:39pm
Agreed. Stop forcing the cool down and just let it cool down on it's own. I wouldn't run a chiller if you normally have your ac on and this was simply because the thermostat was messed up then just use the house ac to keep you in the happy range.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2013 at 9:40pm
Agree with all of the above.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justchillinuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2013 at 7:46am
Thanks for the advice let it cool on it's own... Down to 79.2 hopefully when I get home from work they are cooler
55g - RIP - Moved to 90g
36g Bow holding tank
90g Reef Tank
Dreams of many more!
fishyman19 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishyman19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2013 at 2:05pm
One thing you may want to consider down the road is some type of control system. I was running into the same problems last year during the summer and I had to run a fan all through the day. I picked up an Apex Jr. and it has a setting where you can use a chiller, but since I didn't have one I just switched it out with my fan and set the fan to kick on at 81 degrees and turn off at 79. It's a little bit more cost effective then a chiller and it can control your whole tank. Might be worth a look. 
90 Gallon mixed reef. Wife's 12 gallon nano cube mixed reef!
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2013 at 2:27pm
If I could afford one I'd definitely get an apex as well. They add a lot of redundancy and control that you can't get otherwise. I believe you can also set emergency shut offs of pumps and lights if the temperature gets too high.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justchillinuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2013 at 2:28pm
Will look into that, Today when i ran home to pull the sick coral from my tank it was at 80.1 so i turned off my Coralife HO Lunar t5. that thing pumps out some heat... so today the fishies get some extra downtime..... 
55g - RIP - Moved to 90g
36g Bow holding tank
90g Reef Tank
Dreams of many more!
fishyman19 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishyman19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2013 at 3:00pm
Yeah I have mine all programmed with the lights as well. I set their temps a little higher before they shut off though, because it stays off for about 30 minutes and most of my fish go to sleep when my blues go off so if it goes off before hand it screws with them lol. But yeah I have both my lights heater and fan programmed in. The next thing I want to get it my pumps, but I needed a few other things to get that going. It all programs into an app on my phone so when I'm on vacation I don't worry so much. So nice.
90 Gallon mixed reef. Wife's 12 gallon nano cube mixed reef!
laynframe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laynframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2013 at 6:10pm
You can use a ranco controller for fan control, they are all over eBay. A dual control from Ranco will control both heaters and fans/chillers
The time we enjoy wasting isn't wasted time!!!!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2013 at 7:38am
Aloha,

Or more simply, just plug the fan(s) in with the lights, then find what angle to position the fan(s) so the tank doesn't overcool.
Overcool? Yes, fans pointing straight down at the water with ample room for hot humid air to escape, can drop tank temperature more than 10 degrees. This can cause the heater to keep turning on. The angle of the fan on the water controls the degree of cooling.

That brings up another point. It works very well when heaters are set for 75 degrees. This gives room for a rise in temp without getting too hot. That said, I actually unplug heaters from now until October.

Mahalo,
Mark Hug

Edited by Mark Peterson - May 16 2013 at 7:39am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justchillinuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2013 at 9:16am
temp in tank this morning is at 77.9. Decided to leave the lights off again today to let it get a lil lower! will return to normal lighting tomorrow as i can monitor over the weekend!
55g - RIP - Moved to 90g
36g Bow holding tank
90g Reef Tank
Dreams of many more!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2013 at 10:39am
Aloha Justin,

Sounds like either the heater has too high of a set point or the pumps are heating up the water.
Question's
Have you unplugged the heater?
What is the temperature of the room?
Does this room receive any direct sunlight?
Is there room for a clip-on fan in the hood or the sump?

Mahalo for answering my questions.
Mark Hug

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Bryce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2013 at 1:03pm
+1 to what Mark has said. Also how long is it/ was it at 83? if its just peaking at 83 at a point in the day it seems like fans could cool this down via evaporation as others have suggested. If you start at 78 with lights off I would try fans and see if it can keep it at least to 82-83 but if your house gets much hotter you might run into problems if your tank gets up to 85-86 from a morning start of 78 (high fluctuation). Can you set any pumps to only run at night on reactors, skimmers, etc assuming your house and tank are cooler at night? Also what are you using to get the reading? I have found that thermometers can give different readings even across the same brand, I dont have fancy probes but I have 3 floating ones and 2 stick on ones and they all give slighly different readings and I kinda figure the true temp is kinda in the middle.

Edited by Bryce - May 16 2013 at 1:12pm
65g Reef
ajsahm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajsahm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2013 at 2:59pm
this is a good single controller set the temp for it to come on and done. :)  Would be a good controller for a little fan. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NZZG3S/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

75g - In the process of building

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justchillinuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2013 at 3:34pm
My house was 85 for the day as in this awesome change from snow to warm we didnt flip the switch... my tanks usually are at 76.1 steady as thats where the heater heats too... today when i woke up it was 77.9 so i left the lights off to help keep it cool, house AC is set to 75 at the warmest throughout the day... The tank is in the livingroom which has a window that faces north... it is also about 3 feet away from my thermostat... 

Will keep updates coming... and thank you for the info!
55g - RIP - Moved to 90g
36g Bow holding tank
90g Reef Tank
Dreams of many more!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic