Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Blue Tang or Yellow Tang

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
80cent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80cent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blue Tang or Yellow Tang
    Posted: May 17 2013 at 2:37pm
I am getting a 75 gallon tank tomorrow, and although-- and I want to make this clear-- absolutely not getting any fish yet-- I am making a fish plan. I wanted to get some feedback from people on personal experience. 

What I'm looking for is experience regarding activity, aggression, hardiness and community compatibility. Which have you guys had better experience with?
DMower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2013 at 2:47pm
Which blue tang? Powder blue, blue hippo, ?
150 gal reef with 50 gal sump. Reef Octopus DCS-200 Skimmer. AI Sol Blues.
80cent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80cent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2013 at 2:52pm
Sorry, the blue hippo. 
DMower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2013 at 3:09pm
I personally don't like the look of yellow tangs. Never had one. My blue hippo is nice to watch, gets along well with my other fish. Make sure you buy a small one as they do grow big.

Powder blues are harder to keep than blue hippo (health and longevity). Yellow tangs would be on the easier side to keep as far as tangs go. Tangs in general are not the easiest fish to keep.   
80cent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80cent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2013 at 3:17pm
Thanks for the feedback-- you're all over my posts! My intention is to add the tang as the last fish, but I wanted to get everything planned out due to my OCD. 

I agree that the Hippo is more attractive than the yellow, though. 
Jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2013 at 3:22pm
Neither. In a 75 gallon tank I'd go with a Kole Tang. If it has to be one of the two then a Yellow Tang.
80cent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80cent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2013 at 3:45pm
Jimbo, I think my fave tang is the purple tang in your pic.

What is special about the Kole? Is there a reason you don't like the hippo?
DMower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2013 at 3:54pm
Kole tangs stay much smaller and will do better in the long term. A blue hippo will out grow your tank, if it lives that long. Often they don't. There are several bristle tooth tangs that don't get as big. My experience with a yellow eye kole tang I had was with feeding and training it to eat off a clip.
DMower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2013 at 3:55pm
I don't have a problem with a small 1-4 inch blue hippo in a well aquascaped 4 ft tank.
Dan9554880 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan9554880 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2013 at 4:20pm
Yellow will be better because of the size it gets but I do like the hippo better (I have both in a 55 and 90 including a bristle tooth tang) and the yellow is more aggressive and while the hippo is more fun to watch and more peaceful. I will choose a baby hippo (they are so cute) and watch it grow over time. Also if you do decide to do it you will have to upgrade in the future ( 2+ years from now)
210 Mixed Reef
20 Nuvo nano reef
Learn your tank, not the hobby
bur01014 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bur01014 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2013 at 5:18pm
Also depends on what corals you plan to keep....those of us who have kept blue hippos long term, 4+ inches, know they have a tendency to eat/nip LPS, especially acans!  This happens when they get a little bigger because we often can't feed enough to satisfy them throughout the day. 

Just an extra thought. 

Dan9554880 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan9554880 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2013 at 6:17pm
Originally posted by bur01014 bur01014 wrote:

Also depends on what corals you plan to keep....those of us who have kept blue hippos long term, 4+ inches, know they have a tendency to eat/nip LPS, especially acans!  This happens when they get a little bigger because we often can't feed enough to satisfy them throughout the day. 

Just an extra thought. 

Really??? I have a 5in or so hippo and he does t pick at my corals, but yet again I don't own any acans.
I thought that they were reef safe.
210 Mixed Reef
20 Nuvo nano reef
Learn your tank, not the hobby
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2013 at 3:26am
I have had a 2" yellow and a 3" hippo at the same time in a 72g bow. The hippo was always the more aggressive of the 2 , but that could be due the size difference and also the fact that the hippo was the first tang in my tank. The hippo was always more prone to ICH as my yellow never had a spot on him in the 8 months I had him. But in my current set up (70+) I have a yellow eye kole and love the color and he wont out grow my tank. He always seems to hang with my Melanarus or emerald wrasse , Kinda weird but cool at the same time ...... Just my O/2
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic