Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Voltage in my aquarium?!?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
BillyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Voltage in my aquarium?!?
    Posted: May 18 2013 at 12:42pm
Changed my filter sock and got shocked when my fingers touched the water. All the water in the aquarium is electrocuting me. What's going on and what do I do?
BillyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2013 at 12:47pm
Never mind I unplugged things one by one and figured out it must've been something wrong with one of my pumps.
DMower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2013 at 12:58pm
I would get a grounding probe.
150 gal reef with 50 gal sump. Reef Octopus DCS-200 Skimmer. AI Sol Blues.
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2013 at 1:28pm
Get a new pump... Not a grounding probe. Usually means the pump is bad or going there. Same with anything else.
DMower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2013 at 1:37pm
Sure. That was a given. Get both. :)
150 gal reef with 50 gal sump. Reef Octopus DCS-200 Skimmer. AI Sol Blues.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2013 at 4:10pm
Aloha,

Thumbs Up It's awesome that you knew how to check it by unplugging things one by one. Thumbs Up

One difficulty I have with grounding probes is that when electricity is grounding into the tank it goes to the Ground and the hobbyist may not feel it with a shock. Undetected, the electricity runs through the tank for who knows how long, possibly causing weird problems with the animals.

I've seen some awesome looking tanks with grounding probes so please take what I say here with a grain of salt. (pun intendedSmile) As a matter of fact, today my wife and I saw DMowers awesome tanks. I didn't ask which ones had grounding probes, but it didn't matter. They were all awesome. Thumbs Up

Another difficulty is that grounding probes also disrupt the operation of GFI outlets, though I recommend GFI's for lights and heaters only, not pumps. We don't want pumps shutting off for any reason other than a real emergency, a problem that has happened with hobbyists here who lost a lot of animals when the water stopped.

Mahalo,
Mark  Hug

Edited by Mark Peterson - May 18 2013 at 5:28pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic